The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Drivetrain vibration and clunking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
Since installing my suspension components, there is a lot more noise and vibration coming from my drivetrain. Here are the things I'm noticing.

1. Shifting. When shifting, I hear and feel it. Especially when it's fast, the slower I go the less noise and less clunk it makes.
2. Vibration when not under a load. There is some serious vibration when I get off hard throttle or I'm just cruising.

It's ok if these things are normal, I've had a few friends that are trusted shade tree mechanics and they believe it's just from all the chassis and suspension work that has been done. One of them said I basically turned the car into a "sensitive tuning fork" and that now I'm going to hear everything now that the car is super stiff and everything is polyurethane (literally every mount).

The shop that did the the Torque arm and Subframe connectors thought there was some play in my pinion bearing, and that maybe it needs to be replaced. I took it to a trusted shop and they thought everything was fine and it didn't need to be replaced. The shop did say they correctly set the pinion angle.

So, any thing I should be looking out for? I did complete a track weekend with the current setup, in April. It help up well and it still drives fine. I just want to be proactive if it's something I need to address.

Thanks!

Since installing my suspension components, there is a lot more noise and vibration coming from my drivetrain. Here are the things I'm noticing.

1. Shifting. When shifting, I hear and feel it. Especially when it's fast, the slower I go the less noise and less clunk it makes.
2. Vibration when not under a load. There is some serious vibration when I get off hard throttle or I'm just cruising.

It's ok if these things are normal, I've had a few friends that are trusted shade tree mechanics and they believe it's just from all the chassis and suspension work that has been done. One of them said I basically turned the car into a "sensitive tuning fork" and that now I'm going to hear everything now that the car is super stiff and everything is polyurethane (literally every mount).

The shop that did the the Torque arm and Subframe connectors thought there was some play in my pinion bearing, and that maybe it needs to be replaced. I took it to a trusted shop and they thought everything was fine and it didn't need to be replaced. The shop did say they correctly set the pinion angle.

So, any thing I should be looking out for? I did complete a track weekend with the current setup, in April. It help up well and it still drives fine. I just want to be proactive if it's something I need to address.

Thanks!
If it was an IRS, I would say you are experiencing the famous "cobra clunk" and you still might be since you've redesigned the entire suspension.. That torque arm will transfer vibration or movement to right under the driver's seat (OK slightly to the right of it). So what you are experiencing might be normal. The only experience I have with a torque arm outside of stock cars, was with my 84 Camaro, I replaced the the factory sheet metal bar with something more substantial and with delrin bushings, it cured the wheel hop, but brought the vibration right to the passenger compartment. You're going to have to fudge around with this to find the right setup. I think you will find it will launch better off the corners, and maybe even plant better under braking, than you are used to. This was all fixed in the S197 platform, and one of the mistakes commonly made with that car is going to a stiffer center link, the stock one is actually fine.
Seriously, this is a great move on the SN95 platform, because the abortion 4 link is a complete POS. Please let us know how it works for you.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
If it was an IRS, I would say you are experiencing the famous "cobra clunk" and you still might be since you've redesigned the entire suspension.. That torque arm will transfer vibration or movement to right under the driver's seat (OK slightly to the right of it). So what you are experiencing might be normal. The only experience I have with a torque arm outside of stock cars, was with my 84 Camaro, I replaced the the factory sheet metal bar with something more substantial and with delrin bushings, it cured the wheel hop, but brought the vibration right to the passenger compartment. You're going to have to fudge around with this to find the right setup. I think you will find it will launch better off the corners, and maybe even plant better under braking, than you are used to. This was all fixed in the S197 platform, and one of the mistakes commonly made with that car is going to a stiffer center link, the stock one is actually fine.
Seriously, this is a great move on the SN95 platform, because the abortion 4 link is a complete POS. Please let us know how it works for you.
Thanks!

I just had my buddy drive it yesterday afternoon. He has extensive experience with both F-bodies and SN95's with this similar set up. He mentioned similar points as you. So I feel better about it now.

As always, I appreciate your input!

TMO Supporting Vendors