The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driving glove recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
Sorry if this is a noob question, but is anyone using driving gloves? I presume they would be finger less.
The boss steering wheel is great, but I don't want my overly-excited-sometimes-sweaty-palms messing it up.

What are some good gloves? I'd need some XL sizes though, so no teeny euro glove recommendations please.

thanks!

If you are going to attend Boss Track Attack in the near future you will get a pair of gloves free.

Sesshomurai

Oh cool. Is there a schedule of these events? I'm a second owner, so I might have missed the notice about them.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the sticky above. Oops!!

My wife gave me a pair of really lightweight full fingered winter driving gloves for Christmas, before we got the Boss. They have a little pad on the fingers that allows you to use the touch screen on your phone or whatever. They are made of a fuzzy fake suede very similar to the Alcantara on the steering wheel, and they grip it really well. Now I can't stand to drive the car without them.

drano38

Wayne
I bought these for daily driving to keep sweat off the steering wheel.
http://www.amazon.com/RaceQuip-350002-Series-Single-Driving/dp/B004QMF5SA/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1341284303&sr=1-6
They have smooth leather palm/fingers, so slightly slippery until the leather wears down a bit.

On track, I use these gloves that have a suede palm/fingers, and I really like how that helps grip the wheel. But daily driving isn't as important.
http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?productid=2&cat=6&page=1

Sesshomurai

These[1] look like super hero gloves....

[1] http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?productid=2&cat=6&page=1

I'd go to a local shop and try them on if you can, there are various materials and various grip materials. I have some basic ones (don't recall brand) with the silicone grip but a lot of people think they are too grippy and go with suede. A good shop should have a wheel you can grip to test them.

darreng505 said:
Hi,
Sorry if this is a noob question, but is anyone using driving gloves? I presume they would be finger less.
The boss steering wheel is great, but I don't want my overly-excited-sometimes-sweaty-palms messing it up.

What are some good gloves? I'd need some XL sizes though, so no teeny euro glove recommendations please.

thanks!

I drive with Bionic gloves that I got from Amazon. I really like them and they aren't ass hot during the 100 degree weather... My 2 cents!

I dug through my track bag and found them. Alpinestar Tech1-Race is what I have. They are fairly light and breathable (sort of seems contrary to being fire protection, but they are FIA approved) and soft enough that the internal seams aren't really noticeable. Honestly I bought them because they were the cheapest ones at the track store that fit and were on sale, but I really like them. They stretch so they are easy to fit. I have big palms and normal fingers so usually need xx-xxxl to prevent cramps but the fingers are too long, the xl fit me fine stretched. Rubbery pads provide a lot of grip, works good on the Boss wheel or a leather wheel. Can't beat them for the money, and I like them better than a lot of the more expensive ones I have tried that are too heavy.

I use a pair of Sears mechanics gloves that have a fake suede palm and fingers. They grip the alcantara wheel very well (much better than the plain leather palm G-force) and they are very inexpensive. But, they are not nomex and will probably melt right to your hand in a fire.

So…… I’d like to try a set of the suede palm Pyrotect gloves that Wayne recommended above or the driving gloves that coboss recommended. Coboss – could you give us the brand and style of glove you use? And where can we get one?

Thanks.
-- Jim

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Second owner so will not get any at Track Attack as no free trip.

Check out www.saferacer.com and get a good set of racing gloves. Best ones for the track, and frankly with the alcantara suede on the wheel , driving around town or on the highway, I wouldn't suggest any. The wheel feels so great it makes it hard to use gloves even on the track, but smart idea if you want to avoid blisters.

I bought a pair of the suede palm Pyrotect gloves that Wayne recommended above. They grip very well, are comfortable and are inexpensive (not as cheap as the mechanics gloves, but have an SFI rating). The size L g-force I got from Track Attack are too small (even though my hand measured toward the high end of medium per g-force's web site). So I went with XL for the pyrotect and they fit perfectly.

drano38

Wayne
Glad you like them.
I like how the suede grips the steering wheel. I don't even think about gripping the wheel--just a light grip, and the wheel moves.

I have a smooth leather pair of gloves for daily driving, and I don't like how they slide around on the wheel.

TMO Supporting Vendors