Driving School @ ncracing

Discussion in 'Track Days, Car Shows and Gatherings' started by Vadim, May 10, 2019.

1. Vadim

Vadim TMO Intermediate

I am thinking about taking my 16 years old daughter to Driving School @ ncracing event on June 17 (she drives '11 V6 manual). It would be her first time on the track. My concern is that they don't have instructor in the car (like HOD does).

Does anyone have experience with Driving School @ ncracing? Any info/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vadim

2. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

My daughter went on track at 16 with a V6 Manual mustang. Good choice.

I Would Not recommend anyone go on track the first time without an instructor. My own flesh and blood?? Oh H*ll no.

TymeSlayer, Wotfun and Grant 302 like this.
  3. Vadim

Vadim TMO Intermediate

So I am not alone in this thinking :)

Wotfun, TMSBOSS and Grant 302 like this.
  4. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

5. Vadim

Vadim TMO Intermediate

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  6. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

I've run with them and they run a nice track event with no drama. Are you going to ride shotgun with her?

7. Vadim

Vadim TMO Intermediate

No I want to make it "her" thing, so it is her alone (+instructor). Will check more about the class, thanks.

8. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Are you looking for a track lesson or a standard teen school? My son did the NASA teen school at Thunderhill last summer and had a blast. They do defensive driving, car control and then did lapping sessions. Check the Thunderhill website and you’ll find dates for the classes this summer. Now if I could just get my daughter to go. :rolleyes:

byronj likes this.
  9. Vadim

Vadim TMO Intermediate

I was looking for track lesson. I've seen Thunderhill teen school, and I think it is cool, but given that her brother did track lesson and HD event when he was 16, she wants the same (and I hope that she will like track :) )

VoodooBoss likes this.
  10. Wotfun

Wotfun TMO Advanced

@Vadim, My son and I have done several HPDEs together and he learned a lot. He always started the weekend with an instructor and was usually signed off solo for Saturday afternoon and Sunday. In my opinion, it’s both a lot of fun and a bit of worrying to do something like this with my child.

Like others have said, I would never consider sending someone who has little or no track experience on track without an instructor. (Keep in mind too that an instructor in the car doesn’t guarantee safety.)

I also think you’re right to want an instructor to teach your daughter. Kids often respond better to a stranger than a parent.

byronj likes this.
  11. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

@Vadim , any update on this? We need to meet up at an event soon

12. Vadim

Vadim TMO Intermediate

@byronj sorry for no updates.

After calling around, it seems that HOD is the only option. Spoke with Simraceway, they run school separate from the general track days, and it is follow the leader format on the empty track, they don't even teach flags till second day, so decided against them.

With my daughter been a HS student, schedule is not easy ;). Wanted to take her to thunderhill last weekend, but it was a graduation weekend, so for now I'll take her to teens clinic at thunderhill at the end of the month and hopefully HOD even at the end of the summer.

I am sure to keep you posted ;)

byronj likes this.
  13. tracktardicus

tracktardicus TMO Intermediate

NASA NorCal might be an option. They have an HPDE program that requires in-car instructors for beginners, though I have found adherence to safety regs and instructor quality varies between regions. Both Porsche Club and BMW Club also have HPDE. Anyone have any experience with NASA NorCal?

https://nasanorcal.com/2019-trackday-hpde-auto-racing-event-dates/

14. nordique14

nordique14 TMO Beginner

I believe NCRC has lead-follow. I think you have the option of buying in-car instruction.

I go to the NCRC events. I would be happy to volunteer my time to instruct. I have been instructing autocross for over a decade. I have 20+ days at Laguna so I (mostly) know my way around. . I usually give rides to at least one newbie at an event. Never actually instructed though so I lack any helmet communication tools at this time but have been thinking of getting some.

I will be at Laguna on Monday and plan on being there at the end of July track day as well. Let me know.

byronj likes this.