The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enkei Wheel Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
SC BOSS said:
I spoke with a rep at both Tire Rack and Cortex (the two places I purchased my Enkei’s through), and they both assured me they would replace the wheel and send it to Enkei to reimburse them if I had an early failure (within the first few years).

let me know what you find out Black Boss.

thanks
Luke

Jason at Hypermotive has done a great job chasing Enkei, who appear to be dragging their heels.

Jason has sent me a new wheel, and Enkei have just asked for the old one back before they reimburse him.

Fantastic customer service from Hypermotive. The jury is still out on Enkei.

A fellow racer had to be towed in off the track this past weekend at NJMSP. Cracked Enkei wheel.
Upon inspection in the paddock, the other front wheel had cracks/fracture lines, also.

This is at least the seventh incident I have heard of in the recent past with these wheels.

Although they are relatively inexpensive, you know what they are, and where they come from, so make an informed decision before you buy a set.

I am looking to get another set of wheels, and have looked at Enkei, but presently can not consider buying these. Aside from using up my racing budget, it has now become strictly a safety issue, for me.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Any updates on these incidents? Who is still running these? I know they run PF01s in PWC.
Still running them and no more failures. Planning to buy four more 18 x 10.5s this winter so I can go 315 all around next spring. Two of my 10.5s are now 7 seasons old and the other, one set of 18 x 9.5s and 18 x 10.5s have four seasons on the Boss and two 18 x 9.5s about a half season.

Glad you boosted this back up as I was feeling pretty good about the fact that no more failures had been reported since Nick and I had them earlier. It's also good that our failures weren't catastrophic, just cracked a spoke.

"I called Dan at Outperformanceshop.com and he said that Enkei wouldn't warrant them because they had been spray painted at the body shop. He asked if they had been baked and I said no, just sprayed."

So can they be powder coated? Or will it damage them?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
SUPRMN said:
"I called Dan at Outperformanceshop.com and he said that Enkei wouldn't warrant them because they had been spray painted at the body shop. He asked if they had been baked and I said no, just sprayed."

Most wheel manufacturers won't warranty wheels that have been painted & backed or Powder Coated as they have lost control over the heating and cooling of the wheel. If you have cooked your wheels for paint or powder coating, you will most likely be SOL.

Now, does the heat damage the wheel directly? Not if done according to the manufacturer's recommendations... which you'll be hard pressed to find. Over-heating or rapidly cooling a wheel can lead to metal fatigue and weakness.

SUPRMN said:

I think they are warning against baking them at high temps that could affect the integrity of the wheel. I'm no metallurgist and can't give you an educated answer on this. I doubt that spray painting them affected the structural integrity, but they could argue the extra layer of paint might trap/retain more heat, but again I can't say whether there's any validity to that argument either. My 7 year old 18 x 10.5s were spray painted black and are still working fine.........

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cool, guys, thanks for the update.

BTW Stranoparts.com sells silver-painted 18x10.5 sets for $1475, best price I've seen yet.

Then just add some matte black spray paint or *gasp* plastidip...

cloud9 said:
I think they are warning against baking them at high temps that could affect the integrity of the wheel. I'm no metallurgist and can't give you an educated answer on this. I doubt that spray painting them affected the structural integrity, but they could argue the extra layer of paint might trap/retain more heat, but again I can't say whether there's any validity to that argument either. My 7 year old 18 x 10.5s were spray painted black and are still working fine.........

Guess I should have clarified my question. I am looking to powder coat a set of Enkei's for daily use. Is this something I shouldn't do or call the manufacture? Now have a set for just the track, but looking to take another set and use for show.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
SUPRMN said:
Guess I should have clarified my question. I am looking to powder coat a set of Enkei's for daily use. Is this something I shouldn't do or call the manufacture? Now have a set for just the track, but looking to take another set and use for show.

Powder coating requires heat. Heat changes the property of metal. Manufacturers don't like to warranty that stuff.

Not to mention, I believe I read elsewhere (way back...think it was in discussions with Griggs) that powder coating can actually be thick enough to hide stress cracks & fractures during inspection. Might research that as well. I've only ever done anodizing by the manufacturer or paint (no heat) if I've done it myself.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
ArizonaBOSS said:
Cool, guys, thanks for the update.

BTW Stranoparts.com sells silver-painted 18x10.5 sets for $1475, best price I've seen yet.

Then just add some matte black spray paint or *gasp* plastidip...

I'd talk to Jason at Hypermotive -- he beat this price for 2 x 10.5 and 2 x 9.5 last winter, including shipping. And he picked up covering for the broken wheel, while Enkei wanted to "investigate" the failure. Can't beat that kind of service......

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Black Boss said:
I'd talk to Jason at Hypermotive -- he beat this price for 2 x 10.5 and 2 x 9.5 last winter, including shipping. And he picked up covering for the broken wheel, while Enkei wanted to "investigate" the failure. Can't beat that kind of service......

Sure, but I want to run 10.5 square so I can rotate my really expensive race tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors