The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Epic over sight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last month I started having issues with my clutch peddle and shifting. It just happened, one second it's fine and dandy then the next, the peddle stopped coming back up. Not even a high speed lockout. It would happen at any speed. My first thought, the slave cylinder, it has 77k miles on it, I didn't replace it when I did the new motor. So I ordered new lightweight flywheel, stage 3 clutch, new slave cylinder from Exedy Then to top it all off I ordered Ford racing drive shaft. $1400.00 Bucks all told.

I pull the trans, do the install,put the trans back in, bled the clutch over and over, still had the same issue, It would feel fine, then blam-o! not come back up for no good reason.
All this time I though it was still air in the system, Ford told me it was a real pain to bleed. So, I though I had it. then it did it again. By this time I'm getting really unhappy. This morning I got the wild hair up my mufflers and pulled the clutch helper spring.

I got in there, pushed the peddle down, hit the top with a screwdriver and popped the mudder out in one shot! Now I don't have to tell ya, I didn't mind upgrading the clutch, It really did need it after I pulled the sucker out of there. It was Toast with only 25k on it. Now back to the peddle, Truth be told, I don't understand why Ford put the darn thing in there in the first place. The clutch feels a ton better and really no stiffer, I can feel when it grabs and the peddle comes back up ! The MT-82 also shifts smoother once warmed up.

I knew the clutch helper spring could cause the high speed lock out, Just never though it would go bad. Now I happy with the clutch..I got rid of the crappy Spec stage 1 and a new drive shaft because of a stupid spring...Just don't tell the Wife.....wink wink.

That's impressive you went 77k miles without pulling that thing. Good deal it's fixed, too bad it was so expensive.

I'm glad you got that figured out.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Nice, glad you didn't pull the transmission again and started with the easy stuff first. Clutch return spring and clutch assist spring always a good idea to inspect when replacing the clutch assembly.

Good luck with your new setup.

302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel