The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Excessive tire wear on outside shoulder on track, 305/30/19, normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this has so much great input that I decided to add my experiences and seek guidance as well.

I am a big fan of trail braking, but still getting excessive outside front tire wear, even with -3.2* camber and zero toe, on my 2022 Mach1 HP. This occurs on both 100 and 200 treadwear staggerred 305/30R19 and 325/30R19 tires. I intend to stay staggerred and not deal with extended studs and spacers imposed by squared setup.

I've gradually addressed bushings and suspension components this year with most of the Steeda catalogue, and it has transformed the handing dynamics. The most notable are IRS ultimate kit, Dual rate springs, Comp adjustable Swaybars, adjustable rear camber arms, DSC Magnaride controller, lowering engine mounts.

Sway bars are set to full soft rear, 2nd softest front, with two more notches to go. Handling and balance are spot on. Tons of grip in the front, and rear grip and wear are just perfect with -2.3* camber and .15 toe in.

Car sees dual duty of spirited drives, driving to the tracks, and road track HPDE days in running in advanced rungroups.

Through the above modification cycles, the car always got professional alignment done by the same trusted pro shop. I still go through 2-3 sets of fronts, for one set of rears. Depending on track surface and layout, I rotate my staggerred tires from side to side, mid day. Hot pressures are 36 to 40PSI.

Track Day Season is over in Quebec and Ontario (Canada), but last three options to reduce excessive outside front tire wear next season will be:
#1 - Maintain front pressures in higher range (38-44 PSI).
#2 - Stiffen up front sway bar by one notch.
#3 - Add a touch more front camber perhaps from -3.2* to -3.4*, as to not affect threshold braking performance.
#4 - Try an endurance 200 to 300 treadwear pair of tires in the front, with a stickier set in the rear.
View attachment 99269
Interesting... Pretty much a twin right down to color and mods, but not feeling the same results. Tracked the car last year in stock trim with a mild performance alignment and PS4 tires, car felt confidence inspiring and very very capable. Did the Steeda mods identical to yours over the winter. Back to same track on Cup2's and a more aggressive track alignment and the car just didn't have that confidence inspiring feeling. I'm starting to think my Steeda DSC controller is F'd as I really don't feel any change between Normal, Sport, or Track settings. I was also suspect of the front 0 toe. Not sure where I'm going next, probably back to the alignment rack and a call to Steeda to see if there is a way to check the controller function.

_MG_3591.jpg
 
Bringing this back for some additional experience I’ve had on these issues, see post 33 in my build thread.

 
Top