The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

exhaust restrictor plates

How much difference does it make whether you have the exhaust restrictor plates or not? Does it get ridiculously loud (and cop-attracting) when you take them out or is the difference more subtle? I'm wondering if it's worth removing them or not (or well, in my case finding someone to help me with it because I can't do any wrenching here).
 
Define 'awesome'? Is it a different, nicer sound or is it simply louder? I don't know how much attention the cops would pay anyway, there's a lot of loud cars around here and my previous car ('68 Mustang with 289 in it) was pretty damn loud as well. Is it not too loud for when you're doing a long road trip?
 
orng302 said:
Too loud? Depends on the individual. What's loud to one maybe music to the ears of another.

Fair enough. From what I hear on videos it doesn't really seem louder than my '68 was. Anyone know a video that shows a good before / after to hear the difference?
 
It is loud but not overwhelming. I ran without the discs when I first got my Boss but then tried out different size discs to tune the sound to my liking. I currently use 7/8 inch discs but also like the sound of the 3/4 very much. They open up the sound of the exhaust over the factory plates but no so loud you can't hear the music the engine makes.

For more info and vids from 1/2 discs to fully open look here:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/after-market-discs/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/experimenting-with-exhaust-discs/
 
You're in the bay right? You can listen to mine this weekend if you want. And it is a 15 min job if you have a ratcheting box wrench and you don't need to lift the car, I have done it several times on the ground. I'll even remove yours if you want, we can do it in a parking lot.

FWIW I made a couple out of sheet metal I got at Ace and some tin snips, slotted the bolt holes instead of round so I can just slip them on and off by cracking the bolts instead of removing the pipes. Fast and easy way to test the sound levels, I have one of those pyramid bits and just kept hogging them out to see what it would sound like. Ended up leaving them out most of the time, I stick them in for long highway trips. It isn't that much louder but gets old after a few hours on the highway, and with the Track Key the J-brake sound is not nearly as bad as stock key.


TheMarco said:
Define 'awesome'? Is it a different, nicer sound or is it simply louder? I don't know how much attention the cops would pay anyway, there's a lot of loud cars around here and my previous car ('68 Mustang with 289 in it) was pretty damn loud as well. Is it not too loud for when you're doing a long road trip?

First cop I saw after pulling them, I had my bro in the car and did a couple light pulls since he had not been in the car before. Cop crept up on me and as he passed he gave me the thumbs up. Bay Area cops don't seem to object to loud pipes if it is American cars or bikes. And it is not nearly as loud as my 69 Charger was with just a couple resonators, nor my Evo with the straight pipe cat back.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
well seeing how its a total of six 15mm bolts to remove and reinstall to take them out its easy to try out if you dont like it put them back in. mine are out. had the 3/4" plates in for a while. sounded good with them in too. the stock plates are way to quiet.
 
I'd say the sound on start up is louder, but not as noticibaly so like an aftermarket exhaust might do. I have always changed the exhaust on my cars and the stock Boss exhaust sound would have needed it imo. However, after taking these out I think the sound is near perfect. It just sounds like it was more balls. I'm going to take a video of mine today or tomorrow. As others have said, its wicked easy to just take and try it. I'm mechanically inept and I could do it.
 
1,432
347
TheMarco said:
How much difference does it make whether you have the exhaust restrictor plates or not? Does it get ridiculously loud (and cop-attracting) when you take them out or is the difference more subtle? I'm wondering if it's worth removing them or not (or well, in my case finding someone to help me with it because I can't do any wrenching here).

Yes it's worth removing and you can do it at my house.
 
Fat Boss said:
TheMarco said:
How much difference does it make whether you have the exhaust restrictor plates or not? Does it get ridiculously loud (and cop-attracting) when you take them out or is the difference more subtle? I'm wondering if it's worth removing them or not (or well, in my case finding someone to help me with it because I can't do any wrenching here).

Yes it's worth removing and you can do it at my house.

Sweet :D :D
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Is Fatboss fat? Or just needs to lose a few pounds...? <I'll be here all week, try the veal>

I think I'll be getting some disks from Scott. Wonder if his are slotted?
 
ace72ace said:
Is Fatboss fat? Or just needs to lose a few pounds...? <I'll be here all week, try the veal>
No but he is a black belt...
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top