The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Qualifying for race 2.
That’s Roger Eagleton in the 98 car showing me the proper line….which I promptly butcher.
My head knows what to do but my body still hasn’t got the message.
It’s a process alright but I’m moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I guess the BS1 stickers, the endplates and the amsoil really gave a boost. Once you get the brakes sorted the sky is the limit. Impressive that the car is so much faster now even though your down 200 hp from before.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I guess the BS1 stickers, the endplates and the amsoil really gave a boost. Once you get the brakes sorted the sky is the limit. Impressive that the car is so much faster now even though your down 200 hp from before.
At this point I don't know what to do about the brakes. Nobody has come forward with a fix that works so I am probably going to do an ABS delete and put a purporting valve in the rear so I can at least adjust the bias.
I temp painted the rotors again and the front rotors are still screaming hot.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That Blacksheep-1 decal on that new backplate was the boost you needed.....................
What I need is a power boost.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will be tuned in as I'm getting concerned about the flock of Cayman clubsports that are entering our category. Even revisiting the wacko idea of a 50 shot of Nitrous the I am pretty sure AED will have nothing to do with...... probably with good reason.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh boy.... Is a blower of some sort on the horizon??? or will it be 13:1 compression and wild, locked out cams?
Nah, I'm done with the whole forced induction mess and all the weight and complications needed to support it.
Besides there are only 2 races left and I seriously doubt that I'll be doing this again next year so it probably doesn't matter anyway. This is waaaay too much money for the limited track time we get: 75 total minutes on track per weekend for a $645.00 entry fee. That's about $8.60/minute or $516.00/hr.
Do you know how much hookers and blow I could get for.....never mind.
If my luck holds out I will take my championship cup and go home at the end of the year.
Maybe sell it, maybe do a few track days, maybe hit a race or two, who knows.
But not another full season of blood sweat and gears unless somebody else if footing the bill and helping me with the upkeep. I'm doing way too much of this by myself and I'm just too old and tired for this crap.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Never mind the cost of the Hoosiers and all the rest!! Our regular track costs are about 50% of yours but our consumables are more. At least blow and agreeable company are supposed to be much cheaper! Though I am sure they have their own downsides!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Never mind the cost of the Hoosiers and all the rest!! Our regular track costs are about 50% of yours but our consumables are more. At least blow and agreeable company are supposed to be much cheaper! Though I am sure they have their own downsides!
Cost me $200.00 in gas for the tow vehicle, 40 gallons of race fuel, $2000.00 in tires, 350.00/night for hotel and then meals, ice, starbucks etc. I have to get up at 2:30 am to be ready to qualify at 8 am in the fog (no practice).
I got two trophies again this weekend and they were....wait, lemme just snap you a pic and you can see for yourself.

IMG_2654.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am at a total loss for words.... Do those come with beer? Or do you have to fill them up yourself??
Contrast that with the spoils of my oval track efforts:
1934701_104712928534_961764_n.jpg1934701_104712918534_5319824_n.jpg

Last edited:
Contrast that with the spoils of my oval track efforts:
View attachment 66990View attachment 66991
There's no comparison, oval track stuff is a lot easier on the wallet, The track owners have the need to keep cars on tracks and butts in the seats so they try to make the rules reasonable (or more reasonable anyway) The local track owner down here just bought the Hoosier concession and sells tires that run at his track for 10% over cost. That won't happen in sports car racing.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Holy crap! Makes my paltry dozen or so look like floor sweepings!
Love that 'stache, always been a 'stache guy!
Those are just the "outside" trophies....the big ones are in the house.

TMO Supporting Vendors