The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
............and that is why you are so fast. I usually bring 2 sets of wheels and tires, but one set is a used up one only for emergencies if I trash something with the good set. I admire your preparation, as I am not at that level, but then I don't have your record for wins either. You need to be super ready for races since it is also part of your business and with your track success has come your business success. I followed a similar model for many years in Sales, being at the track definitely gets one the type of customer we can all relate to. Thanks for taking the time to explain, as I would do the same thing as you if in your shoes.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
............and that is why you are so fast. I usually bring 2 sets of wheels and tires, but one set is a used up one only for emergencies if I trash something with the good set. I admire your preparation, as I am not at that level, but then I don't have your record for wins either. You need to be super ready for races since it is also part of your business and with your track success has come your business success. I followed a similar model for many years in Sales, being at the track definitely gets one the type of customer we can all relate to. Thanks for taking the time to explain, as I would do the same thing as you if in your shoes.
Whatever I’m doing, I always try to do a nice job.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Seen your work, nice job is an understatement, some might call you a perfectionist, but I and many others would call you an " Automotive Artist " since so much of your stuff is a true work of Art. Our Track Mistresses, regardless of age, are often the beauty we like to accessorize and we know when she is all dolled up and looking her best, that is often as intimidating as hearing her siren scream when she starts up. We all read your posts with interest because we want to see what you have done recently and I know many on TMO have garnered solid info from your continuous improvements.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Seen your work, nice job is an understatement, some might call you a perfectionist, but I and many others would call you an " Automotive Artist " since so much of your stuff is a true work of Art. Our Track Mistresses, regardless of age, are often the beauty we like to accessorize and we know when she is all dolled up and looking her best, that is often as intimidating as hearing her siren scream when she starts up. We all read your posts with interest because we want to see what you have done recently and I know many on TMO have garnered solid info from your continuous improvements.
You are gonna make me blush...Thank you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
No I don’t like it at all. Why beat up my car and tires with no chance of winning the overall?
Is there a trophy for "overall winner"? I thought that NASA awarded wins based on class?
Some NASA regions grid cars based on qualifying speed and not by class.
I've been on the other end . Qualifying was in the rain and I had no rain tires ( I know , should have been more prepared) I started like 8 places behind the leader in my class. I ran him down throughout the race and right when I caught him , there was a full course yellow . During the yellow, a Corvette passed me and got between me and the leader. Then the lap before it went green, they black flagged the 'Vette for the pass under yellow and he creeped around before
heading to pit lane and the leader in my class was long gone by the time it went green. There was only 2 laps left in the race .

Ron

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is there a trophy for "overall winner"? I thought that NASA awarded wins based on class?
Some NASA regions grid cars based on qualifying speed and not by class.
I've been on the other end . Qualifying was in the rain and I had no rain tires ( I know , should have been more prepared) I started like 8 places behind the leader in my class. I ran him down throughout the race and right when I caught him , there was a full course yellow . During the yellow, a Corvette passed me and got between me and the leader. Then the lap before it went green, they black flagged the 'Vette for the pass under yellow and he creeped around before
heading to pit lane and the leader in my class was long gone by the time it went green. There was only 2 laps left in the race .

Ron
No, no trophy for overall, which brings me to the trophies in NASA…..man I thought the SCCA trophies were pathetic, NASA is almost insulting.

E10F1FD7-D091-4925-ABA2-A0814938405D.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As a member of SCCA since 81 and NASA since 2012 I have to agree on the quality of the trophies, but I can't say either has better awards, it seems cool trophy stuff is a major challenge for each Club. I will bet you have given a ton of your trophies to groups like the " Special Olympics " over the years and if not , it is a great place to recycle those dubious looking awards.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
you got me excited there for a sec, Kevin. i was like YO, NO WAY

on another note, we all know Sal just needs a super sponsor to pay for all sorts of tires and fuel costs and then itll be a different story lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
As a member of SCCA since 81 and NASA since 2012 I have to agree on the quality of the trophies, but I can't say either has better awards, it seems cool trophy stuff is a major challenge for each Club. I will bet you have given a ton of your trophies to groups like the " Special Olympics " over the years and if not , it is a great place to recycle those dubious looking awards.
They all went into the dumpster when I moved to Hawaii.

14713529_10154594441763535_4323669312566868229_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here in Norcal, the SCCA definitely wins the better trophy award.IMG_1997.jpgIMG_2429.jpgIMG_2438.jpgIMG_4805.jpgIMG_4816.jpgIMG_4911.jpgIMG_5047.jpg

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
i wonder how long until we need to throw out all those trophies too lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i wonder how long until we need to throw out all those trophies too lol
There's another collection building, I just showed a few....when I retire from racing again we'll toss them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel