The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Wait! I didn't get the memo, apparently. So we all know that cars from the "other side of the international dateline" will go a lot faster if you chrome or polish the parts, or better still, put stickers on them. Everyone knows that. But I thought that if you chromed, polished or put stickers on cars from this side of the international dateline, it actually slows them down. What gives? The car looks fantastic, but hey, there could be a downside.
You know me, always bucking the system. ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Wait! I didn't get the memo, apparently. So we all know that cars from the "other side of the international dateline" will go a lot faster if you chrome or polish the parts, or better still, put stickers on them. Everyone knows that. But I thought that if you chromed, polished or put stickers on cars from this side of the international dateline, it actually slows them down. What gives? The car looks fantastic, but hey, there could be a downside.
The reality is, this is a write off for my fabrication company, so it has to have an "Advertising" component. My CPA calls it "A demonstration of competency".
So it wouldn't do to bang something together and have it all trashy looking.
Plus my ego *or ahem* "sense of workmanship" wouldn't let me build something of poor quality. I just can't do it.
As for the stickers, I hate them.
If it were up to me it would have zero stickers on it but....I have to take care of certain people who have taken care of me. TMO absolutely has to be on there.
I have learned so much being part of this forum. Track spec has also done me solid, and we'll be revealing something new soon. So that has to be on there.
The others are just to fill the space between them. You'll notice I don't even have my own business name on there...I just can't bare to put one more decal on there.
But, I have to. Can't decide where yet....

I'm not a big fan of chrome but I love polished aluminum.

img_1155-jpg.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm not a big fan of chrome but I love polished aluminum.

img_1155-jpg.jpg
Yeah baby...that's SEXY!

I say chrome, but the stuff is really all polished aluminum.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
These are the only decals on the car. The stripes are paint, the numbers are magnets.

18767602_10155359123583535_2187067246879377381_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Maybe I'll put my company name on the rocker between trackspec and TMO.....
I'll just pull those other 3 off there...what do you think?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fuel Cell Finale'

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:
In the V6L
I have a question - what does the beautifully polished sheet of diamond tread actually do? It looks like overkill for just holding up the fuel pump, so is it structural reinforcement?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have a question - what does the beautifully polished sheet of diamond tread actually do? It looks like overkill for just holding up the fuel pump, so is it structural reinforcement?
Its a scatter shield for the fuel cell. (I'm kidding)
When you install a fuel cell you have to have a metal fire wall between the cell and the drivers compartment so I had to put something in there real quick like until I do the cage and sheet metal the interior. Its just thin aluminum so it not like it's heavy or anything.
Its not every bodies taste, and that's okay. I just like polished stuff....I'm sure some folks will think it's silly. But it's my car, and I can....so I do. I'm pretty sure it won't slow it down much.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The sheet weighs about 13 pounds, and it's right over the rear wheels so it's not in a horrible place.
I could have used some plain boring sheet and saved myself about 3 pounds, but where's the fun in that?

In the V6L
I hope you don't mind me poking a little fun at you once in a while - the workmanship is spectacular on your car. I wondered if the diamond tread was a fire barrier, but I figured it was easier to just ask. Are you planning to take it out when you close up the back, maybe replace it with a carbon-fibre frame that weighs three-fifths of nothing?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I hope you don't mind me poking a little fun at you once in a while - the workmanship is spectacular on your car. I wondered if the diamond tread was a fire barrier, but I figured it was easier to just ask. Are you planning to take it out when you close up the back, maybe replace it with a carbon-fibre frame that weighs three-fifths of nothing?
I don't know, I did that on a whim...I needed to temporarily close it up and I had some .100 alum sheet in house but was a couple inches too short....and, I just happened to have a bunch of diamond left over from a job so I thought....why not? Its paid for.

This isn't a race car, its just a fun track day car so I'm having fun with it.
It makes a zillion horsepower more than it needs so I'm not worried about carrying the extra weight so much.
If it was a serious competitive car things would be a lot different....but it's not.
Its just a big fun toy. That is all.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I measured the plate this morning and did the calc....9.56 pounds.
Less than I thought.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing