The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Retiring?? whats that. Looks like I will be banging rocks and blowing things up till I turn to dust. They say the 60+ is the old 40+. Does not feel like it.
I’m pretty sick of sh1t right now….this state is going to hell and the economy with it. My sales were down 160k from 22 to 23 and at the same time all my materials and overhead have gone through the roof. $10k in rent, 1k in power just for the shop….plus another $400 power bill at home.…not to mention crushing taxes. Its just not viable anymore.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Heading over the "hill" to Carson City or Reno might not be a bad idea. JR and Robbin at RBS Supercharges left Grass Valley/Nevada City for Carson area and their only regret is why they didn't do it 10 years earlier. Bill Miller (BME Rods) has been in Carson City for decades. Summit has the Hot August Nights show every year and thousands of cars come, and because of it Reno and Carson City have a decent hot-rod scene. They also have a cool track https://renofernleyraceway.com/ and you're not to far away from your old stomping grounds. Tons of mining in North Nevada and those guys always need fab work.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
While we're on the subject,I'm looking for an 06ish 3 valve block and heads. I'm going to use a different crank, so all I need is the block.
IMG_7477.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I’m pretty sick of sh1t right now….this state is going to hell and the economy with it. My sales were down 160k from 22 to 23 and at the same time all my materials and overhead have gone through the roof. $10k in rent, 1k in power just for the shop….plus another $400 power bill at home.…not to mention crushing taxes. Its just not viable anymore.
Here at the other end of the world, we are going through the exact same thing. Things have to get better.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Meanwhile, not far from me....

See what $1.4 million buys in knoxville

You need to get out of Cali.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cali don't seem to appreciate a guy like Fabman.......He needs to find a place that will appreciate Him for what he does......it's not time for him to (retire) yet, by any means!!!!!!!!!!........He still has plenty to offer both on the track and off!!!!!!!!!!!..........IF I had a team, He'd be my go to guy..........24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cali don't seem to appreciate a guy like Fabman.......He needs to find a place that will appreciate Him for what he does......it's not time for him to (retire) yet, by any means!!!!!!!!!!........He still has plenty to offer both on the track and off!!!!!!!!!!!..........IF I had a team, He'd be my go to guy..........24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm definitely appreciated, but business here is changing.
I have a niche business, I cater to a certain type of high tech companies doing R&D and one by one my customers are closing up and moving out of the state, and some of them out of the country.
Meanwhile all of my overhead and material cost are going through the roof. Additionally, all the smaller companies that I do work for or that I sublet work to are also leaving the state, so my resources are drying up.
I'm 65 and riddled with health issues, I can't move my business and I'm not super hirable at my age and physical state.
In short, I'm screwed.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a little cheaper place to stay.

los-angeles-ca-usa-april-homeless-encampment-spreads-filth-disease-coronavirus-outbreak-downto...jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal, tent city is not in your future.........A better place with a brighter future is.........help/hope is on the way................
You're right, I can't afford a tent.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would have to believe there are some race teams or fabricators who could use your years of experience. Sure you might have to go work for someone else, but you might find that to be a blessing than watching all your work move away. It is shockingly cheaper to live in some of the Midwestern or Southern States and after all you are , " The Fabman!"

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I wasn’t suggesting you buy an expensive home. Just showing the disparity in housing costs between CA and TN. Imagine what a house like the one you posted sells for in this part if the country.
Yeah I know...its sickening.

TMO Supporting Vendors