The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Just to be certain...........Frankinstang is a menace that many will not be missing in their rear view mirrors any time soon!!!!!!!!!!
While I have been sitting out my biggest competition (in SCCA) spent a mint on his beemer and its about 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster than it was....
....meanwhile I am just trying to get back on track and not be any slower than I was.....I may be the one in HIS mirror now.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its a crazy world we live in! Same thing is happening in my home town of Vancouver... A small shack that has been condemned, goes for a million loonies, just for the lot of land. I remember in the 70s when the mail man had a new house twice as big. Not a chance now.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
While I have been sitting out my biggest competition (in SCCA) spent a mint on his beemer and its about 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster than it was....
....meanwhile I am just trying to get back on track and not be any slower than I was.....I may be the one in HIS mirror now.
Naa... nothing you can't handle!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Not your style for sure on being in anyone’s mirror Sal !!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not your style for sure on being in anyone’s mirror Sal !!
I haven't had to do much of it, lately or back in the day...somehow I always found my way to the front, but I am acutely aware that can flip at any moment.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes it can flip at any moment and I think my flip was about two plus years ago, or maybe 5 years ago and I just forgot, ha!
My biggest concern is becoming that guy that doesn't know when to get out of the car and he becomes an obstacle on track or worse, dangerous.
I don't ever want to be that guy.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No worries my friend, you may just transition to doing related things like Time Trials and even Instructing with HPDEs. As one gets older and a bit less competitive that often makes you aware that just hanging around your fellow track rat buddies is alot more of the fun than you realized. Funny I get almost as much enjoyment getting a Third Place showing and scaring a bunch of young studs that they better pedal faster or they might get beaten by an old Geritol Geared, ha!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Closer than I would like , but I am about 8 years your Senior, so you are one of those young guys I try to stay ahead of , ha.
That would never happen in your case Super Sal, I would be thrilled if I could just be second behind you , anytime!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No worries my friend, you may just transition to doing related things like Time Trials and even Instructing with HPDEs. As one gets older and a bit less competitive that often makes you aware that just hanging around your fellow track rat buddies is alot more of the fun than you realized. Funny I get almost as much enjoyment getting a Third Place showing and scaring a bunch of young studs that they better pedal faster or they might get beaten by an old Geritol Geared, ha!
I thought about instructing, I used to teach oval track back in the day, but road racing?
I'm sure I probably do everything wrong and I don't want to pass on bad habits.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Closer than I would like , but I am about 8 years your Senior, so you are one of those young guys I try to stay ahead of , ha.
That would never happen in your case Super Sal, I would be thrilled if I could just be second behind you , anytime!!
I have always been fast, but not always the fastest....there are those guys who can put down amazing qualifying laps but get them in a crowd and they go straight to the back of the pack.
There's qualifying and then there's racing....some are better at one than the other. I have always been able to beat faster cars with bigger budgets and lighter cars/more HP.
This is why I'd be no good at TT. I was born to do battle, and I got lots of practice on the ovals.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If winning races is passing on bad habits school me
Racing coach is a different thing....that I can do. But the track day newby coaching thing that I would likely have available to me is something else altogether.
For years I coached almost every champ in every class at my local roundy round......I was pretty good at that.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Racing coach is a different thing....that I can do. But the track day newby coaching thing that I would likely have available to me is something else altogether.
For years I coached almost every champ in every class at my local roundy round......I was pretty good at that.
You’re welcome any time in my passenger/instructor seat any time Sal if our paths ever cross. We might trade some shop stories also !!

TMO Supporting Vendors