The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Great article 👏 👍, shame they don't do any radiators for s550
Those are readily available already....this was more to verify what I've said previously regarding single, dual and 3 pass radiator efficiencies.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
How's the engine? Hope it's minor stuff.

#8 spark plug has no ground strap….thinking maybe fell off into the engine and banged some stuff up. We’ll know more when the engine comes out.

IMG_8528.jpeg

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
#8 spark plug has no ground strap….thinking maybe fell off into the engine and banged some stuff up. We’ll know more when the engine comes out.

View attachment 89780
Have you got an inspection camera that you can get down inside the spark plug hole and have a look 1st. See if there is any sign of damage on top of pistons? Maybe it broke on the bang and exaust stroke sucked it out 🤷‍♂️ Imagine how lucky you would be then? 🤔😉🤞

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Have you got an inspection camera that you can get down inside the spark plug hole and have a look 1st. See if there is any sign of damage on top of pistons? Maybe it broke on the bang and exaust stroke sucked it out 🤷‍♂️ Imagine how lucky you would be then? 🤔😉🤞
Not yet, I'm too busy at work trying to make enough money to pay for this....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thats quite the setup!
Yeah, that trailer was pretty cool. We built it with a pivot on the tongue so an electric motor tilted the trailer back to make loading a snap.
There also was a ladder on the front that went up to an astro turf roof with a railing, a floor jack mount in the side, (That rectangle under the front bumper) a 10 tire rack (5+5) a generator, compressor, nitrogen bottle a winch and a solar panel to charge the battery. There was also a cooler built into the trailer door so you could open it from the outside like a fridge and grab a beer.
The back wall was covered in snap on tool boxes and there was a window on the far side..
The trailer bed was formed 10G steel runners that cradled the tires so the car stayed centered no matter what and the space between the rails made it easy to do under car work almost like a cheap portable lift.
We even painted and lettered it ourselves....it was a sight to see way back in the day.

382541_10151001745978535_1410826977_n_10151001745978535 (1).jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 89780
Found the same thing in my Jeep after an idiot check engine - knew well before the light hit though, during the 16 plug change. I'm not seeing any mileage issues and definitely don't baby.... I'm pretty sure it came loose and was probably my fault on the 1st top change - deep well thin wall socket, made my own and didn't thin enough. Got the right socket after the fact. Hopefully it just shot through the valves not hitting anything. I don't like the smoke but could be a symptom rather than something major.20230307_212910.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Found the same thing in my Jeep after an idiot check engine - knew well before the light hit though, during the 16 plug change. I'm not seeing any mileage issues and definitely don't baby.... I'm pretty sure it came loose and was probably my fault on the 1st top change - deep well thin wall socket, made my own and didn't thin enough. Got the right socket after the fact. Hopefully it just shot through the valves not hitting anything. I don't like the smoke but could be a symptom rather than something major.View attachment 89897
Not going to be that lucky.
We pulled all the plugs and the motor is so tight you can't turn it with a breaker bar so....something in there aint happy.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sorry to hear that, I really feel for you with all the attention to detail you did on that engine. Fingers crossed that a lot of the parts are salvageable. Pretty sure everyone here is rooting for you.
Thank you.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Sorry to hear that, I really feel for you with all the attention to detail you did on that engine. Fingers crossed that a lot of the parts are salvageable. Pretty sure everyone here is rooting for you.

I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass with my “that really sucks” comment, my bad if it was taken with the “no sh!t dude” flavor. I am truly sorry for your incident and hope for the best. Peace

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass with my “that really sucks” comment, my bad if it was taken with the “no sh!t dude” flavor. I am truly sorry for your incident and hope for the best. Peace
No offense taken at all, I appreciate the comments from everyone.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I know we are all waiting to hear what caused the failure. Learning from your misfortune may save someone down the road.
I honestly just don’t have the energy at the moment to deal with it.
But soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors