The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Falken Azenis RT-615K anyone run these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Boomerstoys said:
JScheier.... This wouldn't be a problem if I knew for sure that I could get everything in the car. Then I could drive on my stock wheels & just switch out to the track wheels & tires at the track.

Just as a point of reference... I run 18x10s with (previously) 275x35x18 Continentals (Hoosiers). I was able to just get 3 wheels / tires in the back of the car. The biggest issue is that this combination BARELY fit through the fold-down passage. I'm 99.9% sure that the 305s I have now will NOT fit through that opening.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
JScheier, the way I was looking at doing it was loading to the rear seat from the front doors and stacking the tires up-right: 11 11 11 (11 = tire/wheel on tread). Secure this using the attachment point for the rear seat backs (with tire totes, not sure running thru the handles would be secure enough). Take the compressor out of the spare tire wheel well and remove the carpet/lid for the spare tire. Place the 4th wheel in the well and stack the rest of the equipment around this wheel.

Can't see how to remove the backrests for the rear seats. With the backrests removed & the tires in totes, it should be a piece of cake but I just don't know if it will work. I don't know anyone that has done it. There appears to be enough space since the width of the bottom of the back seat is approximately 47.5" so 3 wheels/tires should fit with room to spare.

There has to be an easy way to remove the rear seat back rest & actually removing the entire rear seat would work even better. Just don't know how to do this. I think with the rear seat completely removed it should be a "GO"! This is what I did with the Mini and it worked like a charm.

Have you tried putting wheels/tires in the way I've described?

Thanks!

Is there any way to add a tow hitch receiver to this car? I have been thinking about getting a Tire Tail for my track car if I can figure out a hitch solution

Boomerstoys

I'd be interested in knowing about a trailer as well. Somewhere I thought I read that towing & a hitch were not recommended or couldn't be done because of the rear lower body of the car. Don't have a clue but if someone has done it, may be the ultimate solution. A couple guys with C-5 have little mini trailers with a box for tools. Pretty cool actually!

Cheers!

Boomerstoys

CaliMR, yes a buddy has one for his car. Put it together himself then went and got it licensed. It's actually pretty cool since he also added a box for tools and track supplies.

The question still remains if a trailer hitch can be installed and if there is any reason why towing with this car isn't recommended. Would seem strange with something this light. I can see a large tent or travel trailer not being recommended.

Cheers!

drano38

Wayne
I've been running NT-05 275/40/18 this year. Finally heat cycled them out last month with about 35 sessions (but ran them 40 sessions before I realized the bad traction was caused by the tires being done). Still had tread on them. Put on the spare set, and instantly confirmed the old set had lost their grip.

I have nothing to compare them to, but I feel they're a great tire for the price and wear factor. Next up are NT-05 in 285/35/18. The RS3 is most likely a better tire, but more $$$$ too.

4 tires will fit in our cars, if you choose a size that fits in the spare tire well. I saw a Mustang GT once with 4 NT-01 on 18" wheels inside. One in the spare wheel well, 2 in trunk with rear seats folded down, one in back seat with passenger seat forward and seat back forward to hold it. Not sure how much tool/jack room he had. Yes, a trailer makes life easier, but storage, insurance, license, more gas to/from track, all get added in.

Licensing is like $50 for 3 years for that trailer, at least out here. And you don't need separate insurance for your trailer. Storage is the biggest issue imo, there are folding ones but they weigh and cost more.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel