The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the photos. I guess you could clean the filter?

Great photos. Thanks! Whats involved with checking/draining the "tank"? Before finding this oil-separator comparison video, I was all for FP. After seeing it, now I am leaning towards Bob's for it design. Would welcome any insights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2akU6d_onw

I like the idea of its oem looks, but I don't like the idea of that filter and no drain. A lot of work to remove it and to remove the top just to empty the oil. Also what happens to the oil if you happen to over fill it? Does it get re-enter deuced back into the intake tract? I know this is all petty comments, but it seems that ford would of at least put a drain or petcock on it.
Is the filter a stainless or aluminum mesh?

I also wonder if its shape is for packaging reasons on the voodoo and coyote/roadrunner or does its shape slow down the incoming air to separate the oil and air. Like a coalescing filter.

Please don't take this offensive, I waited a good deal before getting a oil catch can because I like the idea and looks of the Ford performance can, I compared all the popular brands....bobs, moroso, JLT, upr, etc. I think bobs is the best from many reviews. And for $199.00 if you go with the AN fittings and hose I feel it's a good deal. I have one on each bank on my GT350.

C7 B8 said:
Great photos. Thanks! Whats involved with checking/draining the "tank"? Before finding this oil-separator comparison video, I was all for FP. After seeing it, now I am leaning towards Bob's for it design. Would welcome any insights.

I guess you just take the top off and suck out the oil with a baster or such. not real hard, I do that now with my brake reservoir, It only took a moment to remove the top.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I'm currently getting rid of JLT's in favor of the moroso can. I do like that it has removable filter as well. As mentioned some brake clean will clean that off and back in action again.

Went for a 2 hour back road drive this morning, 3rd gear, up to7000 rpm with a lot engine braking. Got home and open up the oil separator. This is what I got.
20160205_092747.jpg
The filter was still clean.
20160205_092757.jpg
I wiped out the can with a shop towel and closed it back up.

Tri-bar said:
Went for a 2 hour back road drive this morning, 3rd gear, up to7000 rpm with a lot engine braking. Got home and open up the oil separator. This is what I got.
20160205_092747.jpg

Wow thats quite a bit. Works great. Is the body mounted onto something? Is the connector to the left easy to disconnect from the body?

C7 B8 said:
Wow thats quite a bit. Works great. Is the body mounted onto something? Is the connector to the left easy to disconnect from the body?

The can is mounted to the Valve cover with two quick rivits. It is easy to disconnect, it uses the factory style connections.

I have tested the Moroso back to back with the JLT and it is not even close. I ran them of both together inline and the Moroso ate the JLT's lunch. The JLT would let oil pass through and then the Moroso had to clean up what the JLT missed. When I switched them, the JLT only pulled a drop. The Moroso on the other hand had removed about 1oz in the same 500 miles. Since I had both on hand, I ran a Moroso for over a year/7000 miles including 500 track miles with the JLT piggy backing the Moroso and the JLT only pulled what amounted to a couple drops the whole year.

C7 B8 said:

The Bob design seems solid, but not sure this test is the end all. 20 psi and 20 weight oil do not replicate real world situation in my opinion. I prefer on engine test. In my own testing I've found the Moroso to work best when compared to the JLT. The Ford Performance design seem solid based on the 200 mile test Tri-bar conducted. I'd like to run back to back test with the Moroso and FP separators, if only I had the dollars. lol

I'm using Bob's design on my GT500 and have been very happy with it. Top notch machine work and materials.

IMG_0398_zps3ccd17a2.jpg

IMG_0384_zps2a1d5240.jpg

We've all been in the dark regarding the FRPP separator until and I admit to being a little disappointed. I really wanted to use one of these but am a little dissatisfied with the lack of a drain. Is it easy to disassemble? I'm sure it is. But you shouldn't have to. Ford could have easily integrated a petcock but chose not to. I'm now leaning to using Bob's again, much in the way Ford engineers did with certain pre-production GT350's.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel