The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Brake Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swiesz said:
Ya the cracking part does worry me also, but I thought the thicker higher quality drill rotors did not have this problem any more. I also think shelby does not make their brake and rotor setups, it looks to be baer part.

I have the Shelby/Baer6S Cross drilled and slotted set up and do about 4-5 track events per year...and have had no issues with them. Baer is adamant about "seasoning" them in properly but for what its worth, they work for me very well. I have had extensive discussions with the Baer folks and they stand by them. If I was a hard core race guy it might make a difference if I went to the pure slotted but so far, so good. If I have any issues this year, I will post them.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ArizonaBOSS said:
Looking good, dude.

LOTS of service parts available through Zeckhausen, if you don't have a local vendor. http://zeckhausen.com/StopTech/consumables.htm

The radial mount calipers make rotor swaps a lot easier/faster.

If you guys are looking for a GREAT price on Stop-tech 6 piston BBK kits for the Boss please contact us.

-Pete

Are these rebadged stoptech calipers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2014-FORD-MUSTANG-ROUSH-PEFORMANCE-4-PISTON-BRAKE-CALIPERS-NEW-/281225908939?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417a5ed2cb

Bob said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2014-FORD-MUSTANG-ROUSH-PEFORMANCE-4-PISTON-BRAKE-CALIPERS-NEW-/281225908939?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417a5ed2cb
You should ask them but I'm 99.9% sure those are ST40's. You'll need Stoptech offset rotors and they use Porsche shaped pads.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bob said:

Yes.

firefighter120

just an ordinary guy with an extra-ordinary car
Spent a lot of time going back and forth on brake upgrades when I decided to finally pull the trigger and switch to the 2013 GT500 6 piston Black Brembos,15 inch rotors and Titanium heat shields! The improvement in braking is AWESOME!!!

Other items I went with:
Brake fluid RBF 600 used only 2 bottles, Titanium Heat shields, Porterfield R4 Carbon Kevlar pads.

If you plan on going this route make sure you CLEARLY specify 15 inch rotors for 2013 GT500 as I had to return two deliveries due to the vendor and ford dealership sending me 14 inch rotors. Apparently Ford switched to the 15s midyear for the 13 GT500 so there's lots of confusion. Also frsport and girodisc both guarantee on their website that their titanium shields will fit but its ABSOLUTE BS so be prepared to cut them to the size you need or if you are in NY and want a one stop soup to nuts shop with OEM parts, professional yet very reasonable labor from an amazing Ferrari mechanic/SCCA racer-instructor/Mustang guy who will be the only person to work on your car and will actually take the time to show and teach you how to work on your car (If you choose to do so) call Rich Serra! 203 483 5385

Sorry but I'm going to shamelessly give this man props because he is an AMAZING mechanic! Trained in Italy with Ferrari at Modena operating out of his well established 30 year old family auto shop in Valhalla, NY (about 35 minutes from NYC and about 40 min from Long Island). Rich has an instructor’s and SCCA license, been driving race cars for over 20 years (sets his own cars up) and knows just about everything on how to properly fix cars of every caliber from turbos/superchargers/suspension upgrades, I cannot recommend him enough!

Trying to insert images but can't figure the dang thing out so here's a link

http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/firefighter120/slideshow/

9_zpsf0c505da.jpg

Isn't that a very HEAVY pkg?
Did you have upgraded rotors and pads on your 14" OEM setup before? (to compare to this 15" GT500 setup)?
I know Steve is using it...

firefighter120

I initially ran the stock set up with Porterfield R4 carbon kevlar brake pads with steel braided brake lines for 2 days at Thunderbolt and 1 day at limerock and several "back" road runs, didn't experience any brake fade/spongy feel and would have stayed with that but then I came across a good deal for the stock 6 piston GT500 calipers and 15 inch rotors so decided to upgrade/experiment and yes they maybe heavier but the braking is MUCH BETTER. It's as if all 3500+ lbs of my car just clamps down in front when I brake and I'm very happy with the set up. Plan to do Pocono and the Glen soon so will keep you posted but over all I highly recommend going for the bigger brakes irrespective of brand and I'm pretty sure the 2015 GT with track package (The car that supposedly will outperform the BOSS) will come standard with 15' R and 6 piston brakes. If weight is an issue for you (It isn't for me) maybe you should look at some other after market brands that are lighter (But will be more expensive)

firefighter120

PeteInCT said:
when you switched to the 6 piston calipers were you using the same brake pad compound?
Yes same brand/material but of course bigger pads and this time with the titanium heat shields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the part number for the Porterfield pads?
What titanium heat shield did you start with?
Thanks, Guy

firefighter120

AP1666 R4 compound Porterfield and girodisc heat shield TS-1001 but they need to be cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the upgraded 6 piston Brembos and larger rotors on the 2015 Mustang GT with the performance package will fit our Bosses? I also like the look of the wheels that come with the GT performance package as well.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
BadPony said:
Does anyone know if the upgraded 6 piston Brembos and larger rotors on the 2015 Mustang GT with the performance package will fit our Bosses? I also like the look of the wheels that come with the GT performance package as well.

You can get theses brakes right now as a Ford Racing kit or buy the calipers, rotors and hoses through FordParts.com I've had them on the car for over a year now. Stock 19" Boss rims fit, so do Boss LS. 18x10" Team Dynamics are what I run on track.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
big red one said:
Guys regarding the brake shims

http://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_137_1292&products_id=30

there are 0.5mm to 2.0mm whats best in ours, I'm using the Oem Brembo with DBA4000 and Carbotech pads

Also, brake lines, for some reason i thought all our cars had the braided lines but i guess not ( i know it sounds stupid i just never looked)

Can anyone recommended best lines to get please

ian

Ian - We can offer you a good discount on the shims and either Goodridge or Stop Tech lines. Send us an email, see card below.

-Pete

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Vorshlag carries lines that they had made to their specifications by BrakeQuip. I like them because a) all of the lines have factory style bracketry, so you aren't using zip-ties to hold the lines where they should be (like many other brands) and b) the lines are a little longer than OEM which works well on cars with shocks that allow for suspension droop.

Install was very easy and everything fit first try.

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
big red one said:
Guys regarding the brake shims

http://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_137_1292&products_id=30

there are 0.5mm to 2.0mm whats best in ours, I'm using the Oem Brembo with DBA4000 and Carbotech pads

Also, brake lines, for some reason i thought all our cars had the braided lines but i guess not ( i know it sounds stupid i just never looked)

Can anyone recommended best lines to get please

ian

Shims are nice to keep the heat away from the calipers, downside is, the heat has to go somewhere. Since they can't escape through the caliper, the heat stays in the pad. With the excess heat staying in the pad the pad is prone to wear faster.

0.5mm is the max I would go. 2mm is just a little to thick, and it is possible you wouldn't be able to get the pads back in with shims that thick.

StopTech and Goodridge lines are both good choices.

-Nick

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel