The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Brake Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw a good picture in Terry Fair's thread on s197forum showing the difference in barrel shape on the Forgestar F14 and CF5--it sheds light on why and how the CF5 has more brake clearance. Steve (Espo), when you're ready to go to 18x11s, these may be the hot ticket.

DSC_4636-M.jpg

neema said:
I saw a good picture in Terry Fair's thread on s197forum showing the difference in barrel shape on the Forgestar F14 and CF5--it sheds light on why and how the CF5 has more brake clearance. Steve (Espo), when you're ready to go to 18x11s, these may be the hot ticket.

DSC_4636-M.jpg

I have the CF5 18x11's all around, but I do not plan on getting bigger front brakes anytime soon. When I ordered them this spring, Terry thought they might work with the big brake kits but did not know for sure.

neema said:
^^^ need pictures! I haven't seen many 11" front wheels besides the F14s. Are you using 305s?
Yes photos. I believe he's running 305 NT01's.

What did you ending up using for front brakes?

NFSBOSS said:
Yes photos. I believe he's running 305 NT01's.

What did you ending up using for front brakes?

Sweet. That 305 is a great tire on our car

I went back to the stock brembos. Debating going to CF5s and putting the the big stoptechs back on. 11s up front are a little smaller than the space available and 12s are a little tight, so I have to decide how silly I'm going to be.

neema said:
^^^ need pictures! I haven't seen many 11" front wheels besides the F14s. Are you using 305s?

I will have to get some pics. I have been running NT01's in 305/35R18. I have a set of Pirelli slicks coming in 305/660 next week. There is quite a bit of clearance around the front caliper.

NFSBOSS said:
I've been thinking about upgrading my front brake calipers and rotors to gain additional heat dissipation for a greater margin of overheating my brakes. I haven't had any overheating issues with my current setup, Pagid pads with brake cooling ducts DBA 4000 rotors and ATE brake fluid, but I have experienced it with stock pads the the Hawk HP+ pads I've run. In my mind as my speed picks up and I move to R comp tires I want to stay way ahead of overheating the brakes.

I talked with the techs at Stoptech and Brembo at SEMA 2013 and they both said forged calipers, besides having less flex, do a better job of dissipating heat than the cast Brembo calipers that come on our cars. Additionally having a larger rotor aids greatly in dissipating heat but with a larger rotor comes fitment issues especially with 18" diameter wheels many of us run at the track. With that in mind I'm looking at a couple of setups and would like to get feedback on them along with other suggestions.

GT500 15" 6 piston Brembo
From a cost perspective this is an obvious choice but with the 15" rotors my 18" wheels become unusable. Still not a bad option and a very reasonable price. If you add in the newly available two piece rotors this kit starts to become a lot more expensive. The rotor is 380x32mm. Not many replacement or two piece rotor options available yet but there should be more next year.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2013-14-MUSTANG-SHELBY-GT500-15-INCH-2-PIECE-BRAKE-ROTOR-PAIR-M-1125-MSVT15.htm

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2013-MUSTANG-SHELBY-GT500-6-PISTON-15-BREMBO-FRONT-BRAKE-KIT-RR-2300-TF.htm

IMG_20130522_170832_965.jpg

M-1125-MSVT15.jpg

Brembo Pro Series Racing
This is a nice setup and there are a few members already running this with good results. Expensive but if you want true race gear you're going to pay. This kit includes a 355mm rotor and forged caliper. Does anyone know if this is 32 or 35mm wide? Lots of pad options and some replacement ring options. The pads are also approximately 25mm deep so you'll be changing pads less frequently.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/BREMBO-14-PRO-SERIES-RACING-BRAKE-KIT-S197-MUSTANG-BRE8026E7S197.htm

Brembo%20BRE80.26E7_rgb.jpg

Stoptech STR 40

Another nice race setup that the new SCCA Spec Mustang class is using. This is the four piston caliper and includes a 355x35mm rotor and the added thickness is supposed to provide a noticeable improvement in heat dissipation. The Stoptech calipers accept a standard Porsche size pad so there are many options. I doubt there are many ring replacement options on this one. Stoptech claims to have the stiffest forged calipers available but who knows. This kit can be ordered with dust seals and anti rattle hardware. The benefit of this kit is more mass and cooling in a 355mm diameter rotor.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/stoptech-str40-355x35mm-s197-spec-mustang/

Stoptech_STR.jpg

Both the Stoptech and Brembo Pro calipers should be adaptable to the new S550 Mustangs with the correct brackets.

...You will melt the dust seals.
They also affect pedal feel/brake return.
- Remove before use.

MA
What would you guys recommend for a few track days per year? like how would you rank them? would a high end 4 piston caliper be better than the Shelby 6 piston? my main concern is fluid temps, and puking fluid from the cap. I am currently on the stock setup, and from what I've read, cooling ducts and better fluid will help, but since its mostly a street car, and if I didn't want to run the cooling ducts, would a 6 piston calipers help with my situation? in other words, maybe the improved braking and heat dissipation would offset the lack of cooling ducts. I'm trying to stay as stock as possible, and low maintenance as well. I work at a Ford Racing dealer, so I can get the factory parts easily, so this is the direction I am leaning. Thanks

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
93cobra said:
What would you guys recommend for a few track days per year? like how would you rank them? would a high end 4 piston caliper be better than the Shelby 6 piston? my main concern is fluid temps, and puking fluid from the cap. I am currently on the stock setup, and from what I've read, cooling ducts and better fluid will help, but since its mostly a street car, and if I didn't want to run the cooling ducts, would a 6 piston calipers help with my situation? in other words, maybe the improved braking and heat dissipation would offset the lack of cooling ducts. I'm trying to stay as stock as possible, and low maintenance as well. I work at a Ford Racing dealer, so I can get the factory parts easily, so this is the direction I am leaning. Thanks

Cooling ducts are going to help in any situation, leads to longer rotor and pad lives. I always try to recommend customers to think about cooling ducts before upgrading any of the caliper components, it's stock looking and a lot less expensive than all new calipers etc.

For guys that are going to the track a few times a year, stock systems are generally adequate. Do you have a the Brembo system on the front?

Upgrading fluid, rotors, pads goes a LONG way.

What is your current set up and car?

-Nick

MA
Thanks for the replies. I have a bone stock Boss 302. It drives me nuts that I have the fluid puking situation, I want to solve it and not have it even on my mind on track. Last year at thompson I needed to clean it up after each session, even after sucking some out so that it didn't happen on the street. thanks!

steveespo said:
You can get theses brakes right now as a Ford Racing kit or buy the calipers, rotors and hoses through FordParts.com I've had them on the car for over a year now. Stock 19" Boss rims fit, so do Boss LS. 18x10" Team Dynamics are what I run on track.
Steve
I think there is a confusion here.
The FRPP kit is the 2013 GT500 brakes.
But this question relates to the 2015 GT six pistons...(which are anodized and not black painted).
Do these calipers fit?
Did anyone try them on the S197?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel