The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Goodyear SC3 in rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Looks like we will be getting some rain this weekend in the northeast. I have a fresh set of Goodyear SC3’s and would like to know how they perform in the rain for normal driving and autoX. The commute to my 1st autoX event is about 2hrs away and I have not driven my car in the rain yet especially on SC3 tires. Sound like fun lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland

They are rated as a 5 in the wet.

i would avoid driving in the rain with these tires if possible.
The problem that I’m having on deciding, I paid for the novice autocross school and would be out of money and I think it’s only offered once a year... I just looked at the weather and notice rain will start tomorrow, plan is drive the car everyday in my 30 min commute to work to prep me for this Sat 2 hr ride.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Are you running SC3s or SC3Rs? Running an autocross when it is wet is actually good practice and you will find events are seldom cancelled if it rains. Often there are drying periods when it rains, so you learn a bit about varying traction limits and they will help your feel. Have fun at the school.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Are you running SC3s or SC3Rs? Running an autocross when it is wet is actually good practice and you will find events are seldom cancelled if it rains. Often there are drying periods when it rains, so you learn a bit about varying traction limits and they will help your feel. Have fun at the school.
Hey bill, I'm running SC3'S. I'll keep my eyes open for a postponed rain date just in case they call it. With you mentioning varying traction limits, actually sounds like a good time to learn the car and not lose a ton of rubber doing so! Thanks I've been looking forward to it!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Nationals a few years back was run in such deep water many wondered if they hit a cone or the waves knocked it over, ha.

Bill is not joking, and it's happened a few times. 2016 Solo Nats, a big squall line came through right between run groups in the afternoon. During the worst part, there were places the water was several inches deep. Here's a car heading from grid back to paddock at 10-15 mph - check out the cones and you might be able to see the wake from the car ahead.
1679547289163.png
IIRC, there was a 20 minute or so pause due to lightning, and the worst of the rain moved off. After the runs restarted, it was still very wet.
1679545550843.jpeg

That aside, I also think you learn more from a school in the wet, as the grip level is lower so you're closer to it all the time. Really teaches throttle control and smoothness of all your inputs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
Bill is not joking, and it's happened a few times. 2016 Solo Nats, a big squall line came through right between run groups in the afternoon. During the worst part, there were places the water was several inches deep. Here's a car heading from grid back to paddock at 10-15 mph - check out the cones and you might be able to see the wake from the car ahead.
View attachment 85079
IIRC, there was a 20 minute or so pause due to lightning, and the worst of the rain moved off. After the runs restarted, it was still very wet.
View attachment 85077

That aside, I also think you learn more from a school in the wet, as the grip level is lower so you're closer to it all the time. Really teaches throttle control and smoothness of all your inputs.

View attachment 85079
View attachment 85077

WOW! Thats crazy lol but does look pretty fun. Sounds like I better bring my swim gear.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The sad part of the 2016 Floodkhana is quite a few folks knocked over cones from the spray, but it was hard often for workers to see well. The black Mustang plowing through the water in Dave_W's picture is pretty indicative of how deep the water was and how large the water spray was as the cars splashed through. I have a picture of even greater spray I experienced in my son's EVO9 and cars look more like speedboats crashing through the waves than cars. In 42 years of autocrossing it was the worst rain I had ever experienced on a course, but there were plenty of events I had to run in the rain or damp pavement. Good to get experience in the rain, as drivers will experience it some time or another.

Bay Area
Update:
The good year SC3 had surprisingly good grip in the rain on the autoX course. 1st session was also a success and really got to explore the car limits in the rain while having fun. I can say understeer was my enemy out there today. I guess 285 up front isn’t enough.

View attachment 85109
You need 305 square and more DF on the front of that thing. The R wang is putting more DF than what you have up front so the car un unbalanced and the skinny tires just don't help. I started with R aero and 285s in front. I put canards on and it was better. Then 305 square and the car was great. Now I have a big WANG, 305 square and not enough front grip and Im back to owning the town of understeer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
You need 305 square and more DF on the front of that thing. The R wang is putting more DF than what you have up front so the car un unbalanced and the skinny tires just don't help. I started with R aero and 285s in front. I put canards on and it was better. Then 305 square and the car was great. Now I have a big WANG, 305 square and not enough front grip and Im back to owning the town of understeer.
I was thinking of going 305 but I'm limited by the size of my front wheels at 19x10. I think the widest I can go would be 295. Right now I have a PP1 spoiler on, must look like an R wing from that angle lol. I will look into some canards, honestly I didn't think they would make that much of a difference. lol cant never find that happy medium

Your GT350 looks great BTW!

TMO Supporting Vendors