The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Fluid Temps on Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious what others are seeing on track with their cars. I was a bit surprised by the axle temps but I'm not really sure if that's high or not. The trans seems to run relatively cool. The photo below was taken as I pulled off track and might have dropped a few degrees on my 1/2 cool down lap. I had seen oil temps close to 280 while on track. the ambient temp when the photo was taken was 99 degrees and it was a hot one! Humidity was in the low teens.

928B5BB9-9D41-4B8A-ADFE-575FA14B9C23_zpsujhyioas.jpg

The axle temp was getting so hot I decided to open up my trunk to see how how it was back there and it was an oven! The last two sessions I left it open and opened up the carpet piece as well. So what is a good axle fluid temp range anyway?

E2D32F16-89A3-42AB-A202-7C39BEAA455D_zpsklpv4blx.jpg

Last time I was on the track it was hot too. High 90s and my oil temps were right around 280. I don't remember what my axle temps were but I'm sure they were similar. I too remarked to my brother how hot the trunk was. The plastic in the trunk was too hot to leave your hand on it for long. This car generates some heat!!!

Probably won't happen, but it would be great to see Ford Performance release two kits:

One for the non-track pack GT350 owners to get those coolers, and another for any GT350 with mega coolers.

Glad CHT is staying down, but oil temp of 280 degrees really surprises me.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Tim , looks like a lot of folks should be considering 75W-140W. With the increased torque and weight I don't know that this is a rare problem, but likely folks should , for now, consider changing the rear end fluid a lot more often than on the Boss 302 Stangs.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Bill Pemberton said:
Thanks Tim , looks like a lot of folks should be considering 75W-140W. With the increased torque and weight I don't know that this is a rare problem, but likely folks should , for now, consider changing the rear end fluid a lot more often than on the Boss 302 Stangs.

75W-140 is the oil to use on track regardless of Ford's factory fill. I run Miller Oils with no friction modifier. I ran the factory 75W85 and got the overtemp warning in 3 laps and the wrench light warning at 5-6 laps. With Millers 75W90 I got the warning between 4-6 laps and never got the wrench. With Millers 75W140 I have only gotten the overtemp warning twice during 25 minute sessions at Watkins Glen, most times I don't get it at all. I have been putting together factory track pack parts to add a diff cooler to my car, will complete it before next season.
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
The only thing that gets hot for me is the engine oil temps. It usually in the 250-260 range running 20-30 minute sessions. I did see 271 once though when temps were nearing 90. Car ran perfectly though and I had a. Last driving it. The pilot super sports are a great tire, but still no match for other R comps or slicks. It's always fun to pass cars on slicks though when I'm on street tires.

mattlqx

Mustangless
From what I remember of the track adventure in August, transmission stays pretty cool. I don't remember specifically but around or under 200F. Engine oil stays 250F or less.

Now what I do remember specifically, is cooking my diff at Thunderhill East. The session immediately before lunch I hit 315F about 5 minutes before the end and I came off early as a result. I remember the wind being calm in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. I think that helped a lot between sessions. I didn't have a problem with peaking it the rest of the day, but it was in the high 200s by the end of those sessions. As for the other two tracks, it wasn't nearly as bad on them. I believe somewhere around 260-270F for those.

I promptly changed my trans and diff fluids when I got home.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Interesting your diff temps get that high. Do you run it in the track mode setting or keep all the nannies on? The diff temps I see are just over 200 degrees, ambient temps were 80-90 degrees running 30 minute sessions.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Track mode, yes with the default settings in that. Ambients were in the low 90s. Again, with 50 minutes between 25 minute sessions and no breeze in-between and the temps probably started from 180-200F to begin with for that session. Still, even in the 270F range where I saw it for other sessions in 90 degree ambients is high for what I'd expect out of a "cooler".

@mattlqx According to Ford Axle cooler Diagnostics: You should have a stored code?
P1889 Oil Pressure Pump Performance
This DTC sets in continuous memory when the differential oil temperature
exceeds system capability due to blockage, a component failure or system
failure.
P188A Differential Oil Temperature Too High/Too Low
This DTC sets in continuous memory when the differential oil temperature
exceeds 145° C (293° F).

Possible Causes
Restricted air flow through the differential oil cooler
Restricted oil flow through the differential oil cooler system
Wiring, terminals or connectors
Differential oil pump relay
Differential oil temperature sensor
Differential oil pump
Visual Inspection and Diagnostic Prechecks
Make sure the differential oil is at the correct level.
Make sure the differential and differential cooler system are free of any leaks.
Make sure there are no air flow blockages or restrictions through the oil cooler.

TMO Supporting Vendors