The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 North American Track Tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
I appreciate the comments, but realistically for HEAVY track use, you will need a trailer and a couple extra sets of wheels/tires unless you live close to the track. Most of us are traveling a few hours to and from tracks so running the wheels/tires on the car isn't practical especially with R-compound tires. If the car is tracked heavily, you will be mounting/dismounting tires after every other, or even every event, depending on how competitive you want to be. Based on how all of my track wheels start to look after a relatively short while, your stock CF wheels aren't going to be looking very good. Mounting race tires is challenging enough already without having to worry about minor rubs and scratches while doing it. With the expected cost of them, I would imagine most Rs that see heavy track use will be running an after-market lightweight aluminum wheel of some sort.

I think you're right about that.
I'm probably in the 'not-so-hard-core' camp for the foreseeable future. I'll likely be doing 6-10 track days a year with the R, live about 60 miles from LS / 70 miles from Sonoma / 120 from Thunderhill...and I don't have a tow vehicle / trailer setup so I'll be driving to the track. I'm not going to get a second set of wheels (btw, after some laps and a nice layer of brake dust built of on the wheels...those carbon hoops look damn sexy...better than when clean, IMO...I like matte versus glossy black finishes typically)...but sounds as if I'll be looking at a healthy tire budget. That's ok...from what I could tell yesterday, the only mods required for the R are safety equipment and drivers. I'm going to continue working on the later (I've been doing a couple schools a year now for the last 5 or 6 year) and keep a '8-9/10ths' attitude with the R at HPDE stuff. Even at 8-9/10ths, it'll be smoking just about everything else at most track days.

fuhrius said:
I'm now second-guessing myself as to whether what I saw was actually a gt350 or a well-done clone...I got only the briefest of looks at it as it went past on other side of the road. I was expecting to see it there yesteday..but then again, there are a lot of different events / venues for car stuff this weekend in Monterey so, perhaps, there more cars in the area going to different events.

other notes from yesterday:
- the liquid blue wasn't as amazing in person as it was on screen
- the red was the standout color, IMO. It really had me second-guessing my AG order. I asked all the Ford guys I could (and some of the folks hanging around who'd seen AG at other events) and their opinions were pretty consistent....comments like 'it grows on you' and 'it's certainly unique'...not the highest of praise ;-) but I've always thought it was going to be one of those colors that doesn't have universal appeal...and that's cool with me
- after the hot laps, I jawwed with some of the engineers and we were talking about 'mods' required for heavy track use and, aside from safety equipment, they were asserting that nothing was needed. One guy suggested that, perhaps, a second set of wheels / tires was in order....BUT...not for the reason some have been suggesting. He said that we I might want an extra set of wheels tires to drive to / from the track with since the Cup's wear pretty quickly. I will say that they had incredible grip on track
- the non-electronics package R (that I'm getting) feels really spartan inside...and I liked that

I gotta believe there will be more than 4 cars at the track tour.

sorta unrelated side note:

What a way for a kid to get his first exposure to the track....my 17-yr old sun spontaneously jumps into a yellow GT350R with Gene Martindale at the helm, and loops Laguna Seca on a perfect August day. Talk about high likelihood of getting hooked!
(so far, he's only done car control / auto-x - I sent him and the wife to a Skippy car control class just before he got his license...he had fun....but's nothing like blasting around a track.)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
'Brake duct' pic from Rick. Pointed at, but not plumbed with hose to the spindle/rotor area.

20550349506_52862b7820_c.jpg

I have actually become friends with one of the former brake systems engineers from the S550 and he is telling me that a non-ducted air source, combined with a deflector plate or scoop at the control arm can be just as (if not more) effective than a fully-ducted setup.
This is because with a duct you are limited by the overall flow volume of the duct itself, also the scoop has the ability to pull in additional air on its own as well.
Also you don't have to worry about rubbing through the ducts at high steering angles.

This "ductless" cooling setup is actually common on Corvette and Porsche performance models.

Wow what a great day. At the very end of the day my son and I were able to get hot laps in the 350's. All I have to say is WOW! The cars are hooked up.

I did get several of my questions answered but not all. The general tone was both the R and TP are ready for the track so just drive them stock. More later.

VooDooBOSS said:
Wow what a great day. At the very end of the day my son and I were able to get hot laps in the 350's. All I have to say is WOW! The cars are hooked up.

I did get several of my questions answered but not all.

The general tone was both the R and TP are ready for the track so just drive them stock. More later.
Thats great for they buyer. But the aftermarket manufactures are not going to like that statement. However we know mustang owners will always try to improve where Ford left off. Sounds like the 350 TP is the way to go. Should be a ton of fun.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Fomoco302 said:
Wasn't the Boss promoted as a RCWLP? The aftermarket has done quite well with Boss owners.
Yes and the same will remain for track consumables such as race pads, catch cans, wheels, tires and the like. I am sure long tubes, tunes and muffler swaps will also be popular. The fact that track pack or R option gives all of the coolers and pump set ups for engine trans and diff sort of takes care of the more painful retrofits makes it a better track day car than the Boss from the factory. My problem is knowing that if I spend $60000 on this car, I still will tune, cage and suspension prep it like my current car. Tough financial problem since I don't want to sell the 21 car, just stupid loyal to a machine.
Steve

I'm going to break this up into relevant posts but first was the "VIP" hot laps we got late Friday afternoon after all the racing was finished. I knew we had to get this in Friday because as hard as I tried we were not on the list for Saturday. It worked out in the end and got to meet Jim Owens and Steve Ling while waiting our turn in line. I rode with Steve (not Ling), a vehicle dynamics engineer, and he helped develop the suspension. Although he didn't have many laps at LS he obviously had lots of seat time in the GT350. He was driving a red R with electronics package. He was able to make minor steering inputs to catch the rear as is started stepping out. He was making corrections before I could even feel it. His "drifting" through the corkscrew is something I just don't do. :eek: He had the Advanced Trac/TC off and the the suspension in track mode. Like fuhrius my under 18 year old son also got a ride and needless to say he was on an adrenaline high that lasted the rest of the weekend. 8)

IMG_6203_zpsxc73egkd.jpg
IMG_6208_zps7vzkzfyn.jpg
IMG_6205_zpsyylkpk1o.jpg

Taken during the hot laps session on Saturday.

IMG_6266_zpsr4wvdhvi.jpg
IMG_6268_zpslsfpkkpv.jpg
IMG_6269_zpsshzkkylv.jpg

I'm posting these photos in this thread because I think you'll see the same displays at TT. Photos and intel you'll only find on BMO. Pay close attention to the detail, Ford killed in on this car. In no particular order from the liquid blue display GT350R:

Front brake duct opening towards the front wheel hub

IMG_6137_zpshvrjeg11.jpg
IMG_6140_zpsweauqsyi.jpg

Engine oil cooler

IMG_6138_zpsrbcgeiqk.jpg

Trans cooler

IMG_6139_zps6wagaped.jpg

Exhaust resonator delete

IMG_6141_zpsedan8iiq.jpg

Diff cooler plumbing

IMG_6142_zpsmcwemg1y.jpg

Exhaust valve

IMG_6143_zpstaxdnqwf.jpg

Check out the plastic covers and fairing

IMG_6144_zpsvn7dioh6.jpg

Diff cooler ducting

IMG_6145_zpsbo1hfy4y.jpg

Diff cooler

IMG_6146_zpss01lsoeg.jpg

Diff cooler pump

IMG_6147_zpsp3evopry.jpg

Diff

IMG_6149_zps2njownpp.jpg

Front underbelly pan with display opening

IMG_6150_zpsutyouvha.jpg

Front side of front wheel well

IMG_6172_zpscsepq9m8.jpg

Rear side of front wheel well

Note the weight on each cat which I'm sure is for NVH

IMG_6156_zpswm618kho.jpg

From the displays:

Front damper connection

IMG_6151_zpshlnh0lvp.jpg

Rear damper connection

IMG_6152_zpstgako4yj.jpg

Check out the size of those pads and note the radial mount holes

IMG_6153_zpszxpw4jiu.jpg
IMG_6154_zpslxyudhca.jpg

Hub with 14mm lugs

IMG_6157_zpssoa2cwdi.jpg
IMG_6158_zpsj7ha2eea.jpg

Front R splitter

IMG_6159_zpsnowafphl.jpg

Front and rear under pans

IMG_6160_zpswzpkv8rd.jpg

Rear wing and aluminum front bumper bar

IMG_6161_zpsmqt5esv8.jpg

Rear wing mount

IMG_6162_zpslw10gxo1.jpg

Twin disc clutch, this should make most of us happy

IMG_6164_zpseuwfgrnb.jpg

Torsen, half shaft and shifter

IMG_6165_zps5u6dja3v.jpg

Diff cooler and pump, trans cooler

IMG_6167_zps1kqks1tu.jpg

FPC with piston and rod

IMG_6168_zpsir8hnnyv.jpg

Check out the extensive CNC work on this head, something you'd see on a full blown racing engine

IMG_6169_zpsunirhkdh.jpg

Composite oil pan

IMG_6170_zpsdrmonk8p.jpg
IMG_6171_zps8wqjx4oj.jpg

Track Pack interior

IMG_6192_zpssvpwrjvg.jpg

Note the leather piece at the top. I wonder if we can dye that red?

IMG_6193_zpsnj7jviax.jpg

Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tire from the Michelin display. The custom R tires have larger blocks on the outside and will have a special part number from Michelin

IMG_6185_zps8kifboua.jpg

Bonus shots of a RR R, note the display in the background

IMG_6191_zpsm0hdncrx.jpg
IMG_6198_zpscdjjwsxy.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Rick

Very nice!!!

Many of the lessons learned from the Boss are there.

The Shifter and connecting rods jump out as areas to improve. I believe Steve is already working on the shifter support bracket. Manley rods and potentially stronger pistons and valve springs should make this a stout, long lasting piece.

Thanks again for making the sacrifice. ;D World Moderator is a tough job. :'(

TMSBOSS said:
Rick

Very nice!!!

Many of the lessons learned from the Boss are there.
This is key. They said they learned a lot from the last time and realized if they want to compete at a high level a parts bin car is not going to work. The work and research they put into this car is impressive! The true test will be to see if cloud9 can get it to overheat!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
VooDooBOSS said:
This is key. They said they learned a lot from the last time and realized if they want to compete at a high level a parts bin car is not going to work. The work and research they put into this car is impressive! The true test will be to see if cloud9 can get it to overheat!

I think the question will be if Gary overheats the engine before any other components. :eek:

You just cant drive as well as he does without warning up a few things in the process.

I am watching his videos from RA to prepare for my first track day there in October.

TMSBOSS said:
I think the question will be if Gary overheats the engine before any other components. :eek:

You just cant drive as well as he does without warning up a few things in the process.

I am watching his videos from RA to prepare for my first track day there in October.
I don't expect to overheat anything on this car. Looks like Ford really thought through everything especially when you look at all the integrated cooling built into everything.....engine, trans, diff, brakes. Heck LS110 and I chased each other HARD on Saturday afternoon in a brutal 90+* sunny humid afternoon at MPH and neither car would give up. We were both running low 230s water and 240s oil even after a very long session of running flat out. It was a blast :D After the session I looked at the front of both cars with billet grilles and just smiled. We would have likely avoided the cooling issues on the Boss if we would have changed those from the get go. I love the design of the grille on the GT350 along with all the other integrated coolers and expect it will be more than up to the task :)

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Side notes: no hot laps for me. But I did meet Aaron Shelby, Carroll's grandson and spoke with him a bit. I also sat in the red R and was able to pass some info to one of the employees working the display. He said something of interest: They have an announcement he couldn't talk about there in regards to the Track Tour.

Also, I spoke with Jim Rinehart, one of the instructors from MMP. Said to expect a very positive announcement tomorrow IRT MMP and the Ford Racing school. ;D

ufnavy06 said:
Side notes: no hot laps for me. But I did meet Aaron Shelby, Carroll's grandson and spoke with him a bit. I also sat in the red R and was able to pass some info to one of the employees working the display. He said something of interest: They have an announcement he couldn't talk about there in regards to the Track Tour.

Also, I spoke with Jim Rinehart, one of the instructors from MMP. Said to expect a very positive announcement tomorrow IRT MMP and the Ford Racing school. ;D
Hey sorry I missed you, we kept zigging and zagging. I'm pretty sure they are going to announce GT350 Track Attack! I'm also hoping for rev matching but it might be too late for that.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
VooDooBOSS said:
Hey sorry I missed you, we kept zigging and zagging. I'm pretty sure they are going to announce GT350 Track Attack! I'm also hoping for rev matching but it might be too late for that.

No worries. Since we brought Jack and it was much hotter than it normally is here, we had to play it cool. And I think you hit the nail on the head. But I wasn't going to say it.

TMO Supporting Vendors