The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you seen or heard about possible oil pan-PS rack interference issues when lowered by 1/2”?

I have not, but was told today by a motor mount manufacturer that they’d heard scattered complaints.

The clearance issue is the oil pan to K-member. If I remember correctly it’s 3/4”. I’ll have to check again to be 100%. But it’s more than enough away from the rack and pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your reason on keeping the stock mufflers and not a complete ARH system including mufflers?

Several reasons:
1) I haven't seen any evidence that aftermarket cold ends flow any better than OE, with open valves -- maybe they do?
2) I wanted to retain the heat shields
3) I picked up a take-off

Nick
I hope that wrap doesn’t cause clearance issues. If / when the motor torques over its very close to the rails and causes false knock on some gt350’s
No disrespect but maybe ceramic coating would be a better option.

I run ARH headers on my 2016 track pack without any problems.
Below are pictures of a friends GT350 also with ARH.
He auto X and his rub all the time.
This is his second set of ARH headers.

f1a124d7a46e6ef95a23ac783b7d455a.jpgc9b473ba68f556e2b0cb4b9b0da5af2d.jpg

No issues with ARH and frame clearance. I have mine fully wrapped and installed no issues. No banging under heavy load. It was a chore installing but it’s doable. Undo both motor mounts from the frame and tip the motor up. I loosened the trans mount as well because it didn’t want to tilt enough otherwise. Remove the motor mount brackets and starter as well. Curved wrenches are your friend getting bolts back in. I took all the studs out and used the header bolts that came with them. The studs are too long and the way some of the runs are it looked impossible to get a nut back on. I put the upper bolts in the head a few turns along with the gasket and then slipped the header in under the head of the bolt. The flange is all notched out so it will slide in. It makes it easier than trying to reach in and find the tapped hole.

No issues with ARH and frame clearance. I have mine fully wrapped and installed no issues. No banging under heavy load. It was a chore installing but it’s doable. Undo both motor mounts from the frame and tip the motor up. I loosened the trans mount as well because it didn’t want to tilt enough otherwise. Remove the motor mount brackets and starter as well. Curved wrenches are your friend getting bolts back in. I took all the studs out and used the header bolts that came with them. The studs are too long and the way some of the runs are it looked impossible to get a nut back on. I put the upper bolts in the head a few turns along with the gasket and then slipped the header in under the head of the bolt. The flange is all notched out so it will slide in. It makes it easier than trying to reach in and find the tapped hole.

Yeah I installed mine much of the same way.
Took about 4.5 hours to install the headers when I did mine a few years ago.
The pain was I had to do it twice because the first set I prototyped was tighter fitting.
I also didn’t use the oem studs but it is doable. I used arp stainless bolts.

Not sure on mounts yet — will likely start with standard height as I’ going to run a larger capacity oil pan and want to check clearance.

Meanwhile, got the de-mist fans and associated ducting in today:

BCDAAB3F-BF59-428B-A990-D5B8F6EF81B3.jpeg

Ducting would have been a whole load easier, pre IP install :(

Last edited:
Not sure on mounts yet — will likely start with standard height as I’ going to run a larger capacity oil pan and want to check clearance.

Meanwhile, got the de-mist fans and associated ducting in today:

View attachment 3959

Ducting would have been a whole load easier, pre IP install :(
You going with the same oil pan as the one on the race car? The “S” version...

Nick, How do plan to change the mode setting to track mode? I'm not able to do it with the 5 way switch. I installed the mode, suspension and steering wheel switch but it does not activate anything when I press the buttons. I have been running on the default street mode on the track.

Any reason not to use aluminum? It is a race car after all.

Any reason not to use aluminum? It is a race car after all.
Just looking for best material availability -- need 4" pipe and 12" x 24" plate. Steel is stiffer, so I'd have to go with 4mm Aluminum to be sure the backing plate doesn't buckle under steering loads as the mounting points are well behind the duct inlet...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel