The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hays Dragon Claw Clutch install - help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
After reviewing several positive posts about the Hays Dragon Claw clutch I ordered one for my 2013 Boss. This was in response to the factory clutch failing on the track (pedal not coming up) and leading to trashing my tranny synchros.

My service guys have not been able to get this clutch kit to work. Despite calls to Holley tech support and following their directions, they couldn't get the clutch to release. My tech guys used the shims as provided with no luck. Despite days of tinkering, they finally put the stock clutch back in and it worked fine.

Does anyone have any special tricks to get this clutch set up properly? Any special throw-out bearing needed? I'm nearing the point where a McLeod may be my only option.

Thanks,

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I’ve not heard of that clutch option but maybe our members here have.
With respect to interaction with the throwout bearing; are you sure you were sent to correct clutch kit?

I would not have reached out to Hays or Holley but out to Ace MFG, the actual makers of the clutch. I've spoken to them a few times and I bet that they would be more than willing to give the support/information needed to install this clutch properly. Did you use a new stock/OEM throw out/slave cylinder?

This might sound crazy but did anyone confirm that you have the one for a coyote engine and not a GT500. Your part number should be 96-201

Good Luck,
BT

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
I'll forward your suggestion to my tranny tech. Yes, I confirmed that the PN is 96-201. Holley support says you don't need the installation gage and that all three shims are pre-installed. Does anyone have this tool so my tech can confirm the length. They put my original clutch back in and it worked fine so there is a length issue somewhere. They tried using both a new stock throw-out and an aftermarket with no success.

Holley tech support is a 3rd party here; the clutch is a rebranded Ace Racing clutch. Reach out to them if you want to the bottom of this. 1‐800‐325-6138.

Holley telling you that the shims are preinstalled makes no sense. The shims are used to set the depth of the slave/throwout Bearing. There is no way that they can be preinstalled. You would have to remove the bearing to install them on the transmission. Depending on the year of the car, the spacing or amount or amount of shims to be used will be different. I’m sure there is some missing information on Holley’s end. I’m sure it’s just oversight.

To make things simple, ask ACE how many of each shim (3 should have been included with the clutch kit) should be used for a 2013 Boss.

I see two things causing confusion here, Holley giving incorrect info, and thevtexhs scratching their heads and trying understand why things aren’t working when the are following the Holley tech lines advice.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel