The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help reading spark plugs/O2 sensor/injector issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So problem with throwing codes for O2 sensors (upstream) Last year had a stuck lean code drivers side. Switched sensors, code followed sensor. Replaced sensor. Ran 2 or 3 autox after that with no issue. Put car away for winter. Pulled out a couple of weeks ago, drove 20 miles or so, code for stuck lean on passenger side. Switched sensors, code followed sensor. Well nuts, guess I should have replaced both at the same time. Past weekend engine ran well at autox on Saturday. Sunday had code again during first run for stuck lean and engine was missing. P2195, bank 1 again. Cleared code, ran OK second run, came back on 3rd run. Load on trailer go home.
OK, something is causing sensors to go bad, or something else going on. Went around checking all vacuum, PVC, air, etc. Found connection from throttle body to air intake loose. Cool, maybe just been sucking in air. Wasn't super loose, I could twist and wiggle it, but maybe enough to pull in air when hot.

So, lets pull the plugs see what they look like. Hmm. If pulling in extra air, would expect all of them to look similar.
Pic of #5, #7 looks just like it. Light brown color strap and insulator, body face a little oily.
Pic of #6, #4 looks just like it. Darker brown strap, lighter brown insulator.
Pic of #4, #1, #2, #3 look just like it. Dark brown to black, little oily/sooty.

Boss engine, long tube catted headers with AED tune. Stock air box. 2+ years with this set up.

Issue with injectors?

Appreciate any thoughts on what might be going on. Hopefully from someone who had same issue and knows the fix!

Thanks

Plug6.jpg

Plug4.jpg

Plug5.jpg

The plugs look ok, maybe a bit rich, but not that bad at all.
Not sure why you are getting those particular codes. What are you running for fuel?
I've dumped a fuel system cleaner in my tank once in awhile, it seems to stop a lot of issues.
The reason I mention that, and that you really might have a bad injector, is the amount of ethanol in your fuel. That stuff corrodes and attacks moisture like crazy

Yes it does, November to March. Gets a full tank of gas and some stabilizer when put away. Mine can't be the only one that sits over winter.
Maybe a few years of that has taken a toll on the fuel injectors?

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Do you have access to gas without ethanol? Also I would dump all the fuel out and maybe test it for alcohol content. When I was a fleet manager we would occasionally get a strange running vehicles that were throwing codes and find they had high alcohol levels in the fuel. Usually mis-fueled by the operator but there were a few that had E85 in them that was kind of hard to explain. The real common weird one was the Fusion hybrids. For some reason the operators kept filling them with E85. We had to label the cars with a no E85 decal on the dash and one on the fuel door.

TMO Supporting Vendors