The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

High RPM Lockout Problems with MT82

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
This seems to be a common problem, however there doesn't seem to be a common solution. I have seen some other threads in which people have this issue but no one seems to be able to decide if its a clutch problem or a shifter problem. When I am shifting into 4th or 5th at 6500-7500 rpms I am met with terrible lockout and just cant seem to get the car into gear. Im unsure if it is because the shifter is bad or if there is a clutch problem but either way I was wondering if anyone could give input on what solved the problem for them. The car already has some short throw shifter installed by previous owner but I do not know what kind but it isn't a barton or mgw. It almost feels like the drivetrain flexing at high rpm is making the shifter miss its gears. Any advice or information on why this is caused is appreciated.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Clutch solved it for me, it was doing pretty much what you describe. Put in an Exedy HyperSingle and that fixed it. By then the trans was also pretty much junked from the stock clutch not releasing properly, syncros all beat, chipped 3rd gear, the shafts and bearings were OK though. I had it rebuilt using the Syncrotech carbon kit.
I still use the stock shifter and have zero problems with it since I put in the Exedy.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Clutch solved it for me, it was doing pretty much what you describe. Put in an Exedy HyperSingle and that fixed it. By then the trans was also pretty much junked from the stock clutch not releasing properly, syncros all beat, chipped 3rd gear, the shafts and bearings were OK though. I had it rebuilt using the Syncrotech carbon kit.
I still use the stock shifter and have zero problems with it since I put in the Exedy.
Okay, ill be looking into some clutches then and doing more research on the topic. I hate to be buying a new clutch but I believe its overdue anyways and I am willing to spend the money if and do the install if thats what it takes to get rid of this lockout. Ive heard good things about exedy, the hypersingle seems a bit aggressive for me so I will probably go with organic compund.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Okay, ill be looking into some clutches then and doing more research on the topic. I hate to be buying a new clutch but I believe its overdue anyways and I am willing to spend the money if and do the install if thats what it takes to get rid of this lockout. Ive heard good things about exedy, the hypersingle seems a bit aggressive for me so I will probably go with organic compund.
If you're going to be doing track days you prolly need the HyperSingle. The heat is a killer of lesser clutches. It'd be a shame to do it once and then have to do it over.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Clutch. I went the shifter/bracket, clutch line route first. Problems decreased but did not go away until I changed the clutch.
If you're going to be doing track days you prolly need the HyperSingle. The heat is a killer of lesser clutches. It'd be a shame to do it once and then have to do it over.
Thanks for the help guys, Im going to let a shop do this one because i dont want to risk not having my clutch in and broken in on time for the track day on april 9th. Im looking at the exedy mach 500 because I do lots of city and canyon driving. I have also looked into the mach 600 but it is quite a bit more expensive. My question is will the mach 500 be able to handle hard driving with a few but not many tack days? It fits my budget well and I like that its easy on the street and a few people have said they ran it on track but does anyone else have experience with it? I have only bolt ons right now and the stock clutch was handling the power fine but it couldnt hang at high rpms.

Thanks for the help guys, Im going to let a shop do this one because i dont want to risk not having my clutch in and broken in on time for the track day on april 9th. Im looking at the exedy mach 500 because I do lots of city and canyon driving. I have also looked into the mach 600 but it is quite a bit more expensive. My question is will the mach 500 be able to handle hard driving with a few but not many tack days? It fits my budget well and I like that its easy on the street and a few people have said they ran it on track but does anyone else have experience with it? I have only bolt ons right now and the stock clutch was handling the power fine but it couldnt hang at high rpms.
I had the same problem with the high RPM lock outs from 4th gear to 5th and I did install a Mach 500 exedy clutch and that curred my lock out problem, I have 8 track days on it so far and it's held up fine.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
I had the same problem with the high RPM lock outs from 4th gear to 5th and I did install a Mach 500 exedy clutch and that curred my lock out problem, I have 8 track days on it so far and it's held up fine.
That is good to hear, thank you. Looks like I will be going with the mach 500 for my car unless I find a really good deal on a 600.

MGW fixed the problem for me, now it's back. I'm not convinced the transmission is shot so I'm putting in a exedy hyper single and changing the clutch master cylinder to a gt500 unit.

Hopefully that fixes it but we will see, if not I'll have to decide between Tremec or mt82 rebuild. As soon as I get time to swap the parts I'll know more.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
MGW fixed the problem for me, now it's back. I'm not convinced the transmission is shot so I'm putting in a exedy hyper single and changing the clutch master cylinder to a gt500 unit.

Hopefully that fixes it but we will see, if not I'll have to decide between Tremec or mt82 rebuild. As soon as I get time to swap the parts I'll know more.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I hope that the that fixes your problem. Are you going to attempt changing that clutch yourself on jack stands? I am thinking that I might attempt to do mine at home.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
I have Quickjacks so I'll definitely do it at home. Sadly not enough head room in my garage for a lift.
Have you ever done clutch job before? Im considering making a thread about doing the clutch at home on jack stands to try and get some pointers because I would love to not have to pay a mechanic to do it and to get the experience of doing it myself but I dont know how hard it is to do on jacks and if I should just leave it to the professionals.

Have you ever done clutch job before? Im considering making a thread about doing the clutch at home on jack stands to try and get some pointers because I would love to not have to pay a mechanic to do it and to get the experience of doing it myself but I dont know how hard it is to do on jacks and if I should just leave it to the professionals.

As long as you can get the car high enough safely to get the transmission out from under the car, I say go for it.

I've worked on my cars since before I could drive, but honestly it isn't that complicated if you can take your time and be meticulous.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The bellhousing is part of the trans case with the MT82, so it's much bulkier than a normal trans. It could be a real bear doing that on your back on the ground. I have a QJ and no way would I try doing a job like that on it, but then again my 30s are 40 years behind me, younger guys might just make it happen.:)
I had a go-to guy with a small 2 lift shop and he pulled my trans in less than 2 hours from wheeling the car in to wheeling it back out. Cash money it was a hundred bucks. He took the exhaust off when he did it, not sure if you have to do that or if he did it just to get more room.

The bellhousing is part of the trans case with the MT82, so it's much bulkier than a normal trans. It could be a real bear doing that on your back on the ground. I have a QJ and no way would I try doing a job like that on it, but then again my 30s are 40 years behind me, younger guys might just make it happen.:)
I had a go-to guy with a small 2 lift shop and he pulled my trans in less than 2 hours from wheeling the car in to wheeling it back out. Cash money it was a hundred bucks. He took the exhaust off when he did it, not sure if you have to do that or if he did it just to get more room.

Exhaust definitely has to go, and yes I should say if you are advanced age know your limitations with your equipment available.

I will pay someone when I hit that age if I don't have a lift by then, need to move to get a lift 🙄

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I pulled the trans on my boss with a trans jack and 4 stands I made for the tires. I jacked the car up and put the tires on top of 4 stands made from 2x4's 10 high. With the tires on the car plus the stands there is plenty of room. Like Beermoney said, take your time. Ensure the clutch is centered before bolting it down. Use an alignment tool!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The stock clutch on my 2011 GT help up for 93k miles and about 6 years doing track events. I had a pre race spec MGW that I bought around 2013 or 2014. Everything was fine until I installed a ported Boss intake and throttle body. The first time on track I got locked out of third and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor at Barber Motorsports Park. I limped the car in after restarting and couldn't find anything wrong. I drive it up and down the road and everything was fine. I took it back on track and on the 2nd lap same thing. I parked the car for the weekend and helped a friend learn the track.

Over the winter I pulled the MT82 and shipped it to Ben Calimer for a stage 2 build, replaced the clutch with a Mantic twin disk and chromoly flywheel, and upgraded to the newer MGW Race Spec. I pulled the trans myself, but got help from a friend to muscle it back in. The stock clutch disc was in surprisingly good shape. Calimer said the trans was as well. They replaced the input shaft and did the normal stage 2 build. I didn't have any damaged gears. It looks like the worn stock clutch just couldn't handle the extra power and higher rpms. Now I am learning the new clutch and working on the break in. So far so good, but it is a totally different car with the new clutch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
The stock clutch on my 2011 GT help up for 93k miles and about 6 years doing track events. I had a pre race spec MGW that I bought around 2013 or 2014. Everything was fine until I installed a ported Boss intake and throttle body. The first time on track I got locked out of third and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor at Barber Motorsports Park. I limped the car in after restarting and couldn't find anything wrong. I drive it up and down the road and everything was fine. I took it back on track and on the 2nd lap same thing. I parked the car for the weekend and helped a friend learn the track.

Over the winter I pulled the MT82 and shipped it to Ben Calimer for a stage 2 build, replaced the clutch with a Mantic twin disk and chromoly flywheel, and upgraded to the newer MGW Race Spec. I pulled the trans myself, but got help from a friend to muscle it back in. The stock clutch disc was in surprisingly good shape. Calimer said the trans was as well. They replaced the input shaft and did the normal stage 2 build. I didn't have any damaged gears. It looks like the worn stock clutch just couldn't handle the extra power and higher rpms. Now I am learning the new clutch and working on the break in. So far so good, but it is a totally different car with the new clutch.
Yeah similar issue My stock clutch has 106k miles on it and has been holding up great with longtubes and cai until yesterday when I raised the redline after the tune for the boss 302 mani and it just gets locked out trying to shift above 6.5 and I have to wait for revs to go back down until I can shift so hopefully the mach 500 will do the trick.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
I pulled the trans on my boss with a trans jack and 4 stands I made for the tires. I jacked the car up and put the tires on top of 4 stands made from 2x4's 10 high. With the tires on the car plus the stands there is plenty of room. Like Beermoney said, take your time. Ensure the clutch is centered before bolting it down. Use an alignment tool!!
Alright sounds doable. Hopefully it wont be worse than the headers. Those took forever.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Yeah similar issue My stock clutch has 106k miles on it and has been holding up great with longtubes and cai until yesterday when I raised the redline after the tune for the boss 302 mani and it just gets locked out trying to shift above 6.5 and I have to wait for revs to go back down until I can shift so hopefully the mach 500 will do the trick.
I was good when I kept it below 7000. The ported Boss manifold and throttle body picked up close to 35hp and carried it higher up. The problems came out on the first track day. I had to shut the car off and restart it to get it into gear.

TMO Supporting Vendors