The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mt82 Breather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have never had my MT82 puke until this past track day. I can’t figure out why it would have seeing as the fluid has been the same fill for 7 events, so if it was overfilled I assume it would have puked at one of the previous 6 events… but it didn’t.

The breather is as old as this transmission… so a good 7-8 years. Potentially got a little clogged with dirt and didn’t allow proper breathing?

Anyways, I am just wondering if anyone had a better solution, like a catch can of some sort vs the factory breather. Poking around the forum I didn’t come across anything.

I did rattle the top of the breather stem a bit to hopefully dislodge anything that may have been making it get a bit stuck in hopes it was a 1 time fluke. But with my MT82 luck, I doubt it was a 1 time fluke. MT82’s don’t get along very well with me 😂.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I didn't think enough oil came out of the breather to justify a catch can, so I put an extension on the MT82 breather. I replaced the breather with a simple piece of clear tubing run into the engine compartment, inserted the breather into the other end, and zip tied it fairly high on the firewall. The clear tube made it easy to see if oil was trying to get out and gave it a little reserve capacity to contain the oil. I could see residue in the first couple inches of the tube from time to time, but it just ran back in. I ultimately went the expensive route to fixed the problem...a Tremec T56 Magnum XL swap. My MT82 problems suddenly disappeared along with several thousand $$ from my wallet.

I didn't think enough oil came out of the breather to justify a catch can, so I put an extension on the MT82 breather. I replaced the breather with a simple piece of clear tubing run into the engine compartment, inserted the breather into the other end, and zip tied it fairly high on the firewall. The clear tube made it easy to see if oil was trying to get out and gave it a little reserve capacity to contain the oil. I could see residue in the first couple inches of the tube from time to time, but it just ran back in. I ultimately went the expensive route to fixed the problem...a Tremec T56 Magnum XL swap. My MT82 problems suddenly disappeared along with several thousand $$ from my wallet.
Hmm, how did you go about doing this? Crawling under the car with it on Jack stands makes it not super easy to figure out what options I have. How did you secure the tubing into the trans itself? How do you remove the breather from the trans?
I like this idea, just not sure how to execute on it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Hmm, how did you go about doing this? Crawling under the car with it on Jack stands makes it not super easy to figure out what options I have. How did you secure the tubing into the trans itself? How do you remove the breather from the trans?
I like this idea, just not sure how to execute on it.
I used a lift, not jack stands. There is a nipple on the drivers side top of the transmission towards the front that the breather cap pushes on with a small piece of rubber tubing. There is nothing holding it on from the factory. This isn't a great picture, but the first one I found that shows the breather. Look toward the bottom, just above the bell housing and right of center. Zoom into the dark dirty patch and you will see the breather.
MT 82 in crate.jpg
Clearance is an issue. If you loosen the bolts on the transmission crossmember and lower it down some you gain clearance. Just watch to make sure the back of the intake manifold isn't resting on the fire wall. If your hands are still too big find someone with smaller hands. I hate to admit it, but after an hour or so I got frustrated and had to ask my wife for help. Her hands were small enough where she had it on in 5 minutes. I used a small zip tie around the base of the tubing pulled tight to insure it didn't come off.

I used a lift, not jack stands. There is a nipple on the drivers side top of the transmission towards the front that the breather cap pushes on with a small piece of rubber tubing. There is nothing holding it on from the factory. This isn't a great picture, but the first one I found that shows the breather. Look toward the bottom, just above the bell housing and right of center. Zoom into the dark dirty patch and you will see the breather.
View attachment 84128
Clearance is an issue. If you loosen the bolts on the transmission crossmember and lower it down some you gain clearance. Just watch to make sure the back of the intake manifold isn't resting on the fire wall. If your hands are still too big find someone with smaller hands. I hate to admit it, but after an hour or so I got frustrated and had to ask my wife for help. Her hands were small enough where she had it on in 5 minutes. I used a small zip tie around the base of the tubing pulled tight to insure it didn't come off.
Thankfully I have had my trans out enough times to have a good general idea of everything your saying, and it’s a v6 so I have more firewall clearance :)

I was able to get a hand up on the top of the breather when inspecting it all yesterday and I was able to push the pressure relief cap up and down, so clearance to get my hands in there shouldn’t be horrible.

So you just pop the top relief cap as I’m calling it right off of the rubber stem, zip tie a piece of tubing to that and run that up to somewhere on the firewall?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Thankfully I have had my trans out enough times to have a good general idea of everything your saying, and it’s a v6 so I have more firewall clearance :)

I was able to get a hand up on the top of the breather when inspecting it all yesterday and I was able to push the pressure relief cap up and down, so clearance to get my hands in there shouldn’t be horrible.

So you just pop the top relief cap as I’m calling it right off of the rubber stem, zip tie a piece of tubing to that and run that up to somewhere on the firewall?
Yes, the additional hose allows you to mount the relief cap higher up and gives a little reserve capacity for any burped fluid so it doesn't drip down the side of the trans and onto the track. I found it didn't burp enough fluid to require a catch can.

Yes, the additional hose allows you to mount the relief cap higher up and gives a little reserve capacity for any burped fluid so it doesn't drip down the side of the trans and onto the track. I found it didn't burp enough fluid to require a catch can.
Any idea what diameter hose will nicely fit over the rubber stem and allow the relieve cap to sit on top of nicely?

I like this idea, super simple and should do the job.

TMO Supporting Vendors