The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

Made more progress this weekend.

The chassis is now fully, fully stripped. Only the rear quarter windows remain. Car parts currently spread across two houses, two garages, and a storage unit. Ha
IMG_0162(2).JPG

I'm estimating dad and I will have about 100 hours into just the seam welding portion of this project. It's extremely tedious and quite difficult to be consistent as there are so many variables (multiple different thickness of materials, bends that stretch the material, contaminates likes sealer/primer, etc.). But we're getting there. Interior cabin is fully prepped and outside probably about 1/3 prepped. About halfway through welding the inside.

IMG_0164(1).JPG

Made some progress these past couple of days. Interior is now entire seam welded as is the back exterior and driver-side wheel well. We just have the underside (which basically all prepped and ready for welding), the passenger side front wheel well, and the engine bay. Hoping to be mostly finished by the weekend - but will depend on how much time I lose taking the Miata to COTA this Friday.
IMG_0192(1).JPG
IMG_0195(1).JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG

Unfortunately we had an incident while seam welding the interior part of the wheel well. It turned out there was foam behind the panel we were welding and it caught fire and burned for a bit before we caught as the flames weren't visible (this is cavity between the inside/outside of the wheel well). Result was a fairly substantially damaged exterior paint on the wheel well. Booo.
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG

Looks like I'll be repainting the entire car now - I'm thinking of going gray/white and wrapping in Ruby Red (or something close). But open to ideas.

Insane

Cheapest color if your going to wrap over it. That way more money for track events!

I was leaning towards a simple single-stage paint that I spray on relatively easily so fixing body damage/covering new fab work was easy peasy.

Question for ya'll fabricators and the like. I have these two holes in the firewall from the HVAC system. What's your recommendation on filling this? Cutting out a piece that fits inside and tack welding around and then sand smooth? Or oversize it and weld it over the hole and then seal edges with a sealant?

0BBB596E-0D08-426D-B46A-166DFDE9B130.jpeg

06E65A50-7F98-47FE-A583-C3085BDE9C20.jpeg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Question for ya'll fabricators and the like. I have these two holes in the firewall from the HVAC system. What's your recommendation on filling this? Cutting out a piece that fits inside and tack welding around and then sand smooth? Or oversize it and weld it over the hole and then seal edges with a sealant?

View attachment 77850

View attachment 77851
Over size the patch and weld it. Don’t sand the welds you’ll just weaken them.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel