The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How Many Change Their ENgine Oil After a Lapping event

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious how many change their oil out after a lapping day, or just wait for the Oil Life indicator to do so.

I did 3 or 4 20 min. sessions on a local track here. For fun, here's a couple of short clips of one run......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYvZf9DyF6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjye21JqguA

Edit: just paste the link directly into your post and don't add any tags.

Macker said:
Curious how many change their oil out after a lapping day, or just wait for the Oil Life indicator to do so.

I did 3 or 4 20 min. sessions on a local track here. For fun, here's a couple of short clips of one run......
I go by track hours. Usually 4-6 hours. You can't go by mileage if you're tracking the car. The interval for the 302S is every 4 track hours.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
I go by track hours. Usually 4-6 hours. You can't go by mileage if you're tracking the car. The interval for the 302S is every 4 track hours.

+1. Every 4-6 track hours which is 2 or 3 track days depending on format.

I run towards the long end of the range (maybe even up to 8 hours) in cold/wet conditions, and much lower in hot/humid or high rpm tracks.

NFS " Edit: just paste the link directly into your post and don't add any tags."

Got it & will do. Thx.

Macker

ArizonaBOSS said:
Mosport...sweet!

I change mine every two events (typically around 5.3 hours each time, sometimes less).

Yep, very lucky to have it within 20 mins. drive of my home. Great track. Ever run it?

Macker

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I change every 6-8 hours. That's usually around 600-700 miles. But in my case I run the car to 7500 pretty regularly and see end of session temperatures of 265-275 degrees. If you are more casual on track you can go 3000 street miles with a day thrown in.
Steve

Great info. thanks guys. Think I'll hold off a while yet on changing the oil. I should mention I had a fresh oil/filter change just prior to the lapping day....

Macker

If you want to be reasonably sure on when YOU need to change YOUR oil the way YOU drive, have a Used Oil Analysis performed from your next oil change.

Two in a row would be better, but one time will give you a very good idea. Especially if you track the car. I bet you will be surprised at the results.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
3-6 hours of track time and will leave it in for the street up to 3,000 miles or 6 mo.

That's usually 3-4 events for me.

DocB said:
If you want to be reasonably sure on when YOU need to change YOUR oil the way YOU drive, have a Used Oil Analysis performed from your next oil change.

Two in a row would be better, but one time will give you a very good idea. Especially if you track the car. I bet you will be surprised at the results.

I've said more than I care to on the subject, but exactly how do you determine that your oil needs to be changed via a UOA?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
3-6 hours of track time and will leave it in for the street up to 3,000 miles or 6 mo.

That's usually 3-4 events for me.

I've said more than I care to on the subject, but exactly how do you determine that your oil needs to be changed via a UOA?

I think the main benefit is to know if an engine is on the way out through UOA. Would detect elevated copper levels (assuming bearing failure) vs. the baseline you've (hopefully) already built.

I don't do UOA but I don't have anything against it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Macker said:
Yep, very lucky to have it within 20 mins. drive of my home. Great track. Ever run it?

Macker

Negative. Maybe some day...

Grant 302

ArizonaBOSS said:
I think the main benefit is to know if an engine is on the way out through UOA. Would detect elevated copper levels (assuming bearing failure) vs. the baseline you've (hopefully) already built.

I don't do UOA but I don't have anything against it.

My point exactly. Better for telling you when you're losing and engine not when to change oil. More of a 'no news is good news' kind of thing.

Grant 302 said:
My point exactly. Better for telling you when you're losing and engine not when to change oil. More of a 'no news is good news' kind of thing.

Any recommendations on a good lab to use?

Grant 302

Macker said:
Any recommendations on a good lab to use?

I think any will do, but I've only used Blackstone and see no reason to switch. $25 +shipping and +$10 for the TBN, if you believe that's a useful for oil 'life' remaining.

Thanks for the recommendations on Oil analysis co. guys....and Grant for sharing your analysis.

TMO Supporting Vendors