The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installation Report on Moroso Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice review. While more expensive I like the idea of the mounting bracket. Now if you could find some better looking hose. Any suggestions? BTW can you post a photo of the finished project?

Nice writeup Chuck. I've been wondering about my JLT can hanging free, but haven't found a good place to secure it or zip tie it. Seems to stay put alright, but I have been bringing my factory line with me to the track in case it lets go. A bigger issue would be if it did let loose and somehow caught up in a belt ??? I also like the drain valve they used. I might have to see if I can figure out a way to secure the JLT catch can.

Well, either my PDF hosting site lost my file or I may have accidentally deleted it. Anyway I reposted it but the link has changed:
http://freepdfhosting.com/679c77b3ca.pdf

I found some 1/2" PCV vent hose (how appropriate) at Carquest for $2.75/ft. It has a lot less printing all over it. I may go ahead and change it just for looks.
If you look at the PDF above, the last photo is the completed project.

SS lines would definitely look cool with AN fittings. That could probably be done at the catch can end but would be tricky to do on the valve cover and intake ends.

No, but that's my plan. Right now the brace is slightly higher on one corner (about 1/8"). I found a thick spacer type washer in my hardware collection that should do nicely.

I know this may have been posted before, but today I drained my moroso oil seperator again after about 1500 miles of street driving. Got a full shot glass out of it. I am happy with the mod. To me that's a lot of oil that would have returned into my intake tract. I can't imagine the amount that would be accumulated during track use. Any, I would recommend this to everyone.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
give hose candy a look they might have something to replace that line with and give you the looks you want
http://www.oomphlabs.com/product/hose-candy/
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlixmz6zbc[/youtube]

Justin said:
give hose candy a look they might have something to replace that line with and give you the looks you want
http://www.oomphlabs.com/product/hose-candy/
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlixmz6zbc[/youtube]
Thanks for the tip...looks like nice stuff...price is reasonable. I'll check into it.
http://www.oomphlabs.com/our-products.php

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Chuck - Rick Moroso is a good guy, he'll listen to your honest feedback. He may remember me, he used my Boss to check to see if his frame reinforcement made for a GT will work with a Boss also (it doesn't because of the side pipes).

-Pete

Here are some photos of my install. I installed the bracket under the STB - no problem. I also stuck some stainless steel springs inside the hoses so then can't collaspe and went with some spring clamps from Lowes.

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6975.jpg

I used a dremmel and ground a nice groove for my bracket. I just hate the bent look on the STB when putting it under. It's aluminum so real easy. I know the JLT is a good piece, but I like the factory look of the moroso. Not something just hanging there. all I know is the the seperators work!!!!

Tflong24 said:
I used a dremmel and ground a nice groove for my bracket. I just hate the bent look on the STB when putting it under. It's aluminum so real easy. I know the JLT is a good piece, but I like the factory look of the moroso. Not something just hanging there. all I know is the the seperators work!!!!

IMO nothing looks bent by mounting the bracket under the STB, like I did. Besides, I didn't want to notch the STB and decrease its strength.

SoFlaBoss said:
Tflong24 said:

IMO nothing looks bent by mounting the bracket under the STB, like I did. Besides, I didn't want to notch the STB and decrease its strength.

Installed the Moroso kit just as SoFlaBoss did. Nothing looks bent... Very clean install.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
For all this angst about mounting under or notching the STB, has no one thought of adding whatever washer/spacer/what have you on top of the STB to clear the ridge to have the bracket bolted on about a 1/2" or so higher than under the STB?

This thing doesn't require precise alignment or specific placement so we are only limited by our imagination and ingenuity. It's not that heavy either so in my mind it would be much easier and practical to modify the mounting bracket/surface to conform to the contour of the stock STB.

There's no way I'm going to shoe horn anything under the STB or start shaving bits off of it on my Boss. Others have installed it how they wanted, I'm just expressing my own opinion/preference w/o judging any one else.

ace72ace said:
For all this angst about mounting under or notching the STB, has no one thought of adding whatever washer/spacer/what have you on top of the STB to clear the ridge to have the bracket bolted on about a 1/2" or so higher than under the STB?

This thing doesn't require precise alignment or specific placement so we are only limited by our imagination and ingenuity. It's not that heavy either so in my mind it would be much easier and practical to modify the mounting bracket/surface to conform to the contour of the stock STB.

There's no way I'm going to shoe horn anything under the STB or start shaving bits off of it on my Boss. Others have installed it how they wanted, I'm just expressing my own opinion/preference w/o judging any one else.

Yep, been watching this and thinking the same thing. I will probably just use washers as spacers unless I get in the mood to take some sheet stock and cut it to fit. Too easy.

TMO Supporting Vendors