The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Intake tract reflective insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Been meaning to do this for a while on the GT and finally got around to putting some on today. I only got to the intake tube, lower part of the filter box facing the engine bay and the inlet through the radiator support. It was about 90* out when I went for short test drive this afternoon. Just wanted to get some casual baseline data with an IR temp gun. Two temps stood out. The filter box top which is still uncovered was 103* and the silver tube was only 87*. Last night on the same drive without the insulation it was about 76* out and the two temps were 121* and 117* respectively.

13906222329_bce92c5b79_z.jpg
Lower side:
13906238537_396dca069d_z.jpg
Inlet behind radiator support:
13906224959_6d7b7acfca_z.jpg
14069761496_474aaefe46_z.jpg

This is just the reflective material here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-721202/overview/
not the type with a thin 1/8" 'glass mat:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180021/overview/

Grant 302

Took a few more temps running after around on the freeway and I'm not sure that the IR gun can take reliable temps from a reflective surface. It was 80* out and the intake tube had wildly varying readings from 67* to 107* and everything not covered on the intake tract was 140* to 160* or so. The foil was cooler to the touch than any of the surrounding plastic or rubber parts, but that's to be expected since the foil has a lower specific heat. I just don't get how the foil could even have spot temps under ambient.

Maybe one of those stick on thermometers would work if I can find one for the right temp range.

Grant 302

No such plans for your Boss? On my old '00 GT I measured big differences between a metal 'CAI' and a plastic/ABS one and there were differences between 20 to 30 degrees or so at idle less once rolling. It was much easier to check on that car since I did a lot of data logging. So I've been hopeful that the reflective insulation would have improvement.

Finished the rest of the box today:
13938692448_0914ea4118_z.jpg
13938650977_7742f1ea0d_z.jpg
14126857774_00c27fcd17_z.jpg

Took a few more temps today, and I think it reads pretty accurately point blank. Ambient was about 70*, and taking the temps quickly after stopping I got around 85 to 90 on most of the intake. Exposed parts were in the 103 to 120 range.

Came out looking real nice. I wanna get mine done with the gold stuff. Hopefully I have the patience and comes out nice like yours.

Grant 302

Cobra700 said:
Came out looking real nice. I wanna get mine done with the gold stuff. Hopefully I have the patience and comes out nice like yours.

Thanks! I think my only useful tip would be to start on the underside or less visible parts first.

TMO Supporting Vendors