The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ISO Aluminum Driveshaft for 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All,

I am slowly working my way into the typical mods to quickly and effectively improve performance. I plan on buying a ford racing driveshaft next time they are on sale, but wanted to post up here first to see if anyone had one to sell, based on the move to a GT350, etc.

Always look to TMO first, right?

Thanks all!

stunya said:
Always look to TMO first, right?
Of course!

If you're going that direction check out my friends Kooks shorty headers for sale. I was just at his house and they are still sitting there new and in the box. He went Kooks LT headers instead so make him an offer.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11191.0

VoodooBOSS said:
Of course!

If you're going that direction check out my friends Kooks shorty headers for sale. I was just at his house and they are still sitting there new and in the box. He went Kooks LT headers instead so make him an offer.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11191.0

i dont think im going to make the jump to the more "major" engine type mods...which i include headers just because of the cost and effort to get them in. If i did....it would probably be long tubes!

At my last track day, i actually had 2 separate people tell me my car sounded the best of any there (which included some cars worth 2 or more times mine). I would love the extra power...just not quite ready for the jump! Thanks for reaching out though!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, but the transfer of power and torque is superior to the OEM 2 piece DS, (with a spung rubber center hanger mount bushing), not to mention the weight savings of rotational mass. The Boss jumps up with a 1 piece AL DS, (PE: Ford Racing U-Joint Style Shaft.

This makes the car much more responsive on WOT applications, like passing the apex on corner out. I love that instance when I can see track ahead of me.

So it's on my top 4 list.

Good luck with your search,
302 Hi Pro

I don't have one for sale, but I do have the same part installed and it's a great alternative to other aftermarket options.

At the time it came out there was a pretty strong back order and I waited about 3 weeks for it to show up.

One last thing to keep in mind about the stock unit - I was in no hurry to replace it for performance reasons. The carrier bearing on mine expired and flung grease all over the underside of the car. It just wasn't worth the time or money to figure out how to fix it.

thanks everyone for the feedback. i have some light suspension mods planned as well (P springs, LCAs + relo brackets). I have wider rims and sticky tires as well.

Slow but steady...just figured i would check here first for the driveshaft...there are a few places that have the ford racing unit for a reasonable price. I am going to install it when i have the car up for the springs.

Thanks again!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Have the DSS 3-1/2 as well and love it. Did loose some grease and she squealed like a stuck pig but the folks at DSS repaired the whole thing even though it was a year out of warranty. Good peeps.

I do have two OEM drive shafts with low miles if anyone's interested...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have a Dynotech 3.5" aluminum DS and it has performed flawlessly. These are the same ones used by the pro teams. No vibrations, tested up to 152mph (so far) on track.

Guess this leads me to a question, Why did Ford go with two piece DS in the first place? Appears its more complicated and costly to manufacture and also takes slightly more work to install in the production line. So what was the rationale?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Shorter shafts with multiple cv joints have less vibration issues and require less precise installation procedures.

The longer one piece, individual shaft length sections magnify vibration issues. Make the shafts shorter and add in cv joints and they eliminate vibration issues.

The V-6 shaft is one piece and comes apart at speeds over 130 violently. This. Why the speed is limited to 112 on the V-6 mustangs.

TMSBOSS said:
Shorter shafts with multiple cv joints have less vibration issues and require less precise installation procedures.

The longer one piece, individual shaft length sections magnify vibration issues. Make the shafts shorter and add in cv joints and they eliminate vibration issues.

The V-6 shaft is one piece and comes apart at speeds over 130 violently. This. Why the speed is limited to 112 on the V-6 mustangs.

Ok I get that for standard production cars (GT/V6)...but for the limited productions of the Boss & GT 500's you would think that Ford would have went with the one piece.

I think the later versions of the GT500 ('13 and '14) did have a one piece from the factory, and IIRC it was even carbon fiber. They threw alot of stuff at that car for the 200 MPH marketing campaign.

TMO Supporting Vendors