The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Jacking Rails added rigidity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
I had BMR jacking rails on my 2019 GT.
I was t-boned at a 45 degree angle at speed by a drunk, the corner of the other car's front bumper hit right in the middle of my (driver's) door. I walked right out of the wreck. Police and paramedics couldn't believe it.
My question: do jacking rails do anything for the rigidity of the chassis and side impact protection, or is the chassis already so rigid that the effect is similar to laminating a toothpick on a 2x4?

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
It probably didn't do considering most bumpers will hit the door and not your rocker area, even less the underside of your rocker area. I would say if you spin and hit a telephone pole sideways, then maybe yes. But if the car just hit your door, then it's the door's design and the door aperture structure that did it's job.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
It probably didn't do considering most bumpers will hit the door and not your rocker area, even less the underside of your rocker area. I would say if you spin and hit a telephone pole sideways, then maybe yes. But if the car just hit your door, then it's the door's design and the door aperture structure that did it's job.
Yes the door was dented deep, but the door surround was also deformed at the door sill and the area where the tire inflation sticker is located (see photo), which is what made me wonder whether the rails did anything for me.20230626_123759.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
if the other car hits the cowl or the B post, they are very formidable. If the guy hit the door only, you'd prolly be in a trauma unit
It's hard to know 100% as it happened so fast, but from my recollection and the pic (attached), it looks like his front right corner hit right in the center of the door, but the base of the B post is deformed, even as the sheetmetal behind the front door is intact.

Screenshot_20230829_192025_Gallery.jpg

Good solid hit, that's for sure, I assume it's a total?
If not, and you live in PA, I would highly, highly suggest Bob Doonan at Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville. That guy is magical.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Good solid hit, that's for sure, I assume it's a total?
If not, and you live in PA, I would highly, highly suggest Bob Doonan at Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville. That guy is magical.
Yes, a total. 4 airbags, chassis bent. I'm 400 miles North of PA, near Ottawa.

BMRs go full length. That's a solid hit. The question is if the BMRs were not there, even though a higher hit, would it have pulled in lower with the door or was the door frame structure enough. It could probably turn into a "is this the best oil debate". I have 3/4 length rales on my 2012 and glad they are there. 😉

TMO Supporting Vendors