The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Kern.S550 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With all the cool things you want to do with your Mustang and it was quite interesting to hear the differences for vehicles sent to Mexico. A few suggestions I will list below are based on years of racing as well as contact with our Motorsports Division with some of the sponsors or past sponsors on this site. The reason I would suggest you look into some of these companies is because many of them have spent alot of time with Mustangs, the car is a big part of their focus , and this often gives one solid, long term experience that benefits the buyer. Check out some of these folks;

1. Vorshlag --- considering the suspension systems I would look heavily at MCS over some that you have listed. Woodhouse Motorsports ( Vipers primarily) changed out a ton of the KW systems on ACRs and honestly we found the MCS system superior to virtually everything. I think you will find Vorshlag is extremely high on their system.
2. MGW -- I would not consider any other short throw shifter over them as the owner has had so many Mustangs one could not count them all, because he constantly improves the unit by owning and driving each type of Mustang -- with the varying transmissions. No offense but this system is so far advanced over a Barton unit it is not even comparable imho.
3. Apex or Forgeline rims -- unreal quality with both , balanced with superb customer support.
4. Optimum Performance -- lots of quality products ( rotors, pads, etc. ) and again a company that owns and tracks their own Mustangs.

Just a few, but I would look into things like tires, rims, competitive pads ,rotors, camber plates, MGW short throw shift kit, long before I would worry about more power ,etc.

I know many of us will look forward to your modifications, but even more so pics and info on what it is like to track your car in Mexico. Welcome to TMO and it looks like you will have fun building your beast into a solid track monster and your passion for the car is really evident!!

TMO Supporting Vendors