The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

KOHR WINS IMSA CTSCC @ Watkins Glen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
http://www.imsa.com/news/072017/for...ontinental-tire-120-watkins-glen-martin-roush

FORD MUSTANG WINS THRILLING CONTINENTAL TIRE 120 AT WATKINS GLEN WITH MARTIN, ROUSH

19553861_659657474235649_2442727050109237617_n.jpg

In a race that was at one point red flagged for rain, the two-hour Continental Tire 120 at Watkins Glen International came down to a 12-minute shootout under sunshine and dry track conditions.

Restarting in the third position, Dean Martin moved to second behind Al Carter after race-leader Matt Plumb made a rare mistake in the Inner Loop. With two laps remaining, Martin got alongside Carter exiting Turn 1, and as they worked uphill through the Esses, the two made contact sending Carter into a spin. Martin motored past and went on to win by 5.513 seconds in the No. 59 NANO ProMT Ford Mustang alongside co-driver Jack Roush Jr.

“I just kept trying to keep pressure on him,” said Martin. “I took a few chances with him just to let him know I was going to be aggressive. We came onto the last corner. I had a good run. I came up behind him and tried to play a little peek-a-boo with him to distract him going into one. I think it worked. He missed the apex a little bit and went a little wide and I just had a great corner and got myself positioned inside.

“He was trying to squeeze me, but I know he knew I was there. I laid the car up on the rumble strips to try to sneak through and give him enough room on the outside, but we made contact a little beyond the apex. It was the only opportunity I was going to get to drag race him. Unfortunately, we had contact. I would’ve liked to have finished up that lap. It would’ve been exciting.”

The No. 77 C360R McLaren GT4 of Nico Rondet and co-driver Mathew Keegan finished second, while Matt Plumb recovered to finish third in the No. 76 C360R McLaren GT4 he co-drives with polesitter Paul Holton. Plumb was celebrating his 100th career Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge start and was in position for a record-breaking 24th career series victory before the incident. Carter finished seventh following his incident with Martin.

19642675_659657484235648_7667937092809801456_n.jpg

Great series, looks like it's starting to make a comeback.

GS class was way down last year, the GT4 spec has breathed some life into it.

Curious what your thoughts on the GT4 adoption and IMSA eventually replacing ST with TCR....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Mosport for the day yesterday with Dean's team. Practice yesterday, racing today/tomorrow. Maxwell was in the car for the second round, made an upshift on the first lap and BANG!!, the driveshaft snapped in half. Floor damage due to it whipping around, Maxwell immediately pulled over and shut it down. Next thing you know, Larry Holt and Sean Mason were there with parts. Dean's crew immediately repaired the car.

I had the opportunity to study the car from top to bottom. I got bits and pieces from everyone, including the lowdown on the GT4 hood and aero bits from Mason. All great guys on a kick ass team. A very cohesive group all focused on the same thing - winning.

I thought I heard Larry say it was a "shop" car.

I'll post up on the hood when I have the chance to go through some photos of it.

Oh, the team packed up and left, so no racing today. The ring gear fell off the flywheel (seriously) during the race yesterday. Not tearing into the transmission until they get back home.

I thought I heard Larry say it was a "shop" car.

They must not be using the Exedy chromoly flywheels anymore? What clutch and flywheel are they using?

I'll post up on the hood when I have the chance to go through some photos of it.

Oh, the team packed up and left, so no racing today. The ring gear fell off the flywheel (seriously) during the race yesterday. Not tearing into the transmission until they get back home.

GS class was way down last year, the GT4 spec has breathed some life into it.

Curious what your thoughts on the GT4 adoption and IMSA eventually replacing ST with TCR....

Personally, I think there's something horribly wrong with a series when you can't build your own car and race in it. Anyone (with a crapload of money) can just go buy a car and race it, now maybe that will pull in entries, or it makes it easier to tech, but I suspect the $$$ that is paid to the series from the manufacturers in order to race in it, has something to do with it.
Before you say..well it keeps the low quality teams out of it, I would suggest the Phoenix was the factory Subaru road race team for years and not only built, but developed that car from chassis plate to winner's circle, so where is that "bar" set?...how much "quality" is there, seems to me it's all about the $$. Not only do you have to buy the car from the factory, but also the endless list of parts that a race car consumes, all have to have the homologated part number on it, if GT3 is any example, it will be outrageously expensive for the consumer.

Last edited:
Personally, I think there's something horribly wrong with a series when you can't build your own car and race in it. Anyone (with a crapload of money) can just go buy a car and race it, now maybe that will pull in entries, or it makes it easier to tech, but I suspect the $$$ that is paid to the series from the manufacturers in order to race in it, has something to do with it.
Before you say..well it keeps the low quality teams out of it, I would suggest the Phoenix was the factory Subaru road race team for years and not only built, but developed that car from chassis plate to winner's circle, so where is that "bar" set?...how much "quality" is there, seems to me it's all about the $$. Not only do you have to but the car from the factory, but also the endless list of parts that a race car consumes, all have to have the homologated part number on it, if GT3 is any example, it will be outrageously expensive for the consumer.

You are spot on and this is my concern with the classes - GS will be killed off by GT4 and ST will be killed off by TCR. I totally admired what you, Reagan Racing, Turner, and C360 were doing big with the cars. Seems like it's now all about consumer "activation" and the brand dollars flowing to NASCAR. Still good fun racing but where do the grassroots guys go to get some spotlight...?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here is the video of the race broadcast.

Between the post-rain confusion (about 55-60 mins remaining in race) and multiple cautions, there is a LOT of action on the track. The last 30 mins are intense!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel