The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Koni Cortex Feedback for s550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hello!

I know this is a long shot but does anybody with a s550 have experience with Koni Cortex coilovers? I know most go with the JRi/Penske offering. It seems as though they have discontinued the JRi and only offer Penske. I was in communication with them a few months ago and settled on the JRi but that was when it was offered. A $1K difference between Koni and JRi SA was one thing but $2K difference between Koni and DA Penske is a bit of a reach. I know MCS TT1 exist but just asking about the Konis right now.

Thanks for any insight!

Not an S550 but I have the Cortex Koni coilovers on my S197. From the pics on their website it looks like their S550 product is similar to the S197. Assuming they are the same or similar, I would say the Koni damper setup is okay not great.

In the front they are regular Koni sport twin-tube inserts, rebound adjustable from the top like any Koni sport shock. Easy to adjust and they feel and drive just like any normal Koni twin-tube shocks. So the damping is fine, like any Koni shock, but it's not amazing. One of my front struts failed so I rebuilt the fronts with new Koni inserts.

In the rear they use the Koni 30 circle track shock, which is a monotube that allows four 0/25/50 and 100 percent rebound damping settings. Monotube is better than twin-tube but the adjustment is wonky and again, there are only 4 rebound settings. To adjust, you have to remove the bottom of the coilover from the car and then there is a small button where the shaft of the shock goes into the shock body. You reach in between the spring and press that button with your finger and then rotate the entire shaft of the shock to click into one of the four different rebound settings. Then re-install the coilover to the car. The button gets dirty and sticks, the shaft doesn't always rotate smoothly, the clicks aren't always easy to discern, and the whole process is just kind of a hassle.

For my purposes it all works well enough and I like the quality and design of the Cortex stuff overall. Cortex service also is as good as it gets in my experience. But I have little doubt the JRI/MCS/Penske dampers have significant performance and adjustability advantages. Which I guess is why they cost more lol. Good luck.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
You still looking for coilovers ? What is that you look to gain from coilovers besides harder springs ? Overall what goals and budget ?
I am just evaluating all options when that time comes. Yes I would like more spring rate but unfortunately I don’t have MR to use AJs new set up. I just haven’t seen much about the Konis. But for $3k is looks like Ohlins is the winner for price/performance. Or MCS TT1

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I am just evaluating all options when that time comes. Yes I would like more spring rate but unfortunately I don’t have MR to use AJs new set up. I just haven’t seen much about the Konis. But for $3k is looks like Ohlins is the winner for price/performance. Or MCS TT1
If you find a way to do the RLCA cut for the Ohlins or I wonder if the RLCA's from the Mach 1 will fit/work (have a friend with spare ones so will test soon). Then the Ohlins are ok but I think the MCS TT1 setup is better firstly because it could be upgraded down the road when you need the inevitable rebuild. If you are looking for a budget setup I suggest you look into the H&R Coilovers option though not enough spring or check BC racing offering for the Mustang both options should be close enough in performance to the Ohlins for a lot lower price.

TMO Supporting Vendors