The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Rear Upper shock mounts needing upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
My stock upper mounts came apart on HWY I-5 going to Buttonwillow. They forgot the transition after a brigde. I have Pedders coil overs, looking for strong Upper mounts. I Run SCCA Time Trials events. Car is 75% track 25% street only driven to and from track.

20220323_120516.jpg

In the V6L
My stock upper mounts came apart on HWY I-5 going to Buttonwillow. They forgot the transition after a brigde. I have Pedders coil overs, looking for strong Upper mounts. I Run SCCA Time Trials events. Car is 75% track 25% street only driven to and from track.

View attachment 86285
It looks like a mismatch between the upper mounts and the shock rods. The GT350 upper rear mounts in the picture are a different size and construction than the regular Mustang GT upper mounts. I checked the Pedder's site and while they make a coilover kit for the GT, which presumably works fine with GT upper mounts, they don't have a kit for the GT350/R. The solution to your problem could be as simple as picking up a pair of Mustang GT upper mounts. Keep in mind, though, that the GT350 mounts are milled to the shape they are so they clear the rear tires. If you run wide rear tires, make sure whatever mount you end up with doesn't stick out too far.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I’ve been running Vorshlag shock mounts for years without issue. It’sa decent penny but could be worth looking into. It gives you back some shock travel.

TMO Supporting Vendors