The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Leaking Rear Shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New Jersey
So, I suspect that we are going to hear about more rear shock issues for the GT350 and Mach 1 vehicles (perhaps other Mustangs too)...

I just had my two rear shocks replaced on "both" my 2017 GT350 (base) and 2022 Mach 1 vehicles. Both vehicles had leaking rear shocks (visible fluid stains on the floor), and both with only about 10K miles on the odometer. No abusive driving, garage kept, no accidents, etc. On the Mach 1, the new replacement shock was leaking right out of the box and had to be re-ordered. Ford Service indicated that they were having production issues with this rear shock.

Are the rear shocks on the 2017 GT350 the same as the 2022 Mach 1 ? Seems like this problem may pop up on more cars.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Guess I was lucky, tracked both my GT 350 and my Mach 1 and hit every curb on track known to man with no issues. It will be interesting if we do see this as a problem. Chatted with the Tech I used for years and he said he had seen some issues on GT 350s and a couple of times the shocks were on back order. He had not seen any Mach 1s with problems so far, and he jokingly mentioned if one should have had an issue it was probably mine ----- I frankly absolutely love the Mach 1 suspension system. It still ranks as one of the very best factory units I have ever owned. Adjust the factory camber plate ( handling package model ) , semi aggressive camber setting alignment, Apex 19x11s, Hoosiers, Falkens, or used race slicks, Vorshlag brake duct plates for the front A-arms, aggressive brake pads from G-Loc or EBC, MGW short throw shifter and you are done.

Sorry , I just think the Engineers at Ford did a great job on the Mach 1 and the only fail was not letting the durable 5 Liter go to around 7800 redline ----- it would mean so many tracks would not need a 5th gear shift.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New Jersey
I do agree that the suspension on my 2022 Mach 1 is quite good, especially compared to my old 2015 Mustang GT, despite similar specs and chassis. It really keeps the tires on the road surface and reacts quickly to changes in terrain. My favorite feature is Rev Matching, the best thing since sliced bread. I never mastered the heal-to-toe technique (especially with a 6.5 shoe size), so I really like to downshift now...

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I do agree that the suspension on my 2022 Mach 1 is quite good, especially compared to my old 2015 Mustang GT, despite similar specs and chassis. It really keeps the tires on the road surface and reacts quickly to changes in terrain. My favorite feature is Rev Matching, the best thing since sliced bread. I never mastered the heal-to-toe technique (especially with a 6.5 shoe size), so I really like to downshift now...
I'm the opposite. I've been heel/toe blipping since I started driving 56 years ago. It is ingrained in how I drive. The Mach 1 actually is a tiny bit slower than I am. I need to figure out how to turn it off next spring. Hopefully it's just a setting you can access thru the dash somehow. I would agree that having a wide foot really aids heel/toe blipping.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
My friend bent a strut on his 2022 GT500 4-5 months ago, no stock available, maybe after the 1st of the year.

My 2020 GT350 had 1 rear shock that did leak. Not enough to drip to floor, but it was replaced under warranty. I did track it 2-3 times a year. All else has been good and just make sure you check those things between going out and having fun so no incidents happen while on track..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New Jersey
It was the rear left shock on one car and both rear shocks on the other car.

Not happy about having 3 defective shocks discovered within 1 month...

TMO Supporting Vendors