The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rear Toe In = Grip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So as those of you who've seen my build thread know, for the last year I've been drifting my S550.

Just wanted to share an observation, as I suspect there may be some applicability to traction in "grip" driving as well.

For those of you not familiar with drifting, despite what it may look like, just like in traditional car setup you want as much grip as you can get, the only difference being that in drifting your grip ceiling is power limited. Its possible to generate more rear end traction than you have the power to overcome to keep the wheels spinning.

Since starting down this path a year ago I've been wanting more rear grip as I've had more than enough power to spin my 305's in all situations through 3rd gear. I still want to go as fast as absolutely possible. I've pulled rear camber out to get even camber wear, removed rear bar, and softened rear springs and all have increased traction ever so slightly. But I left toe in at my historical spec about 1mm toe in per side. I was leaving additional toe in for last as it obviously accelerates tire wear. However, after my aforementioned changes I still did not have as much rear grip and "sidebite" (forward drive in drift) as I wanted, so increased it to 6mm toe in per side before my last event. Which for road racing is probably excessive, though certain pro drifters run as much as 3/4" toe in per side.

BOY HOWDY did it increase rear end grip and forward drive in drift! More than all other changes combined and then some. I now have as much rear grip as I have power to overcome, and its FAST. I've not yet checked bump steer on the rear of this car, but have heard from someone that has, that these cars toe out significantly in bump. My findings indicate that may well be true.

I still think toe in should be a last resort to try and find the rear end grip you're looking for, but food for thought if the rear of your S550 is looser under power than you want and you've checked all the other more likely culprits first.

Curious if anyone has found this to be true in a road racing/grip application as well?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I had played with more toe in (1/4 to 1/2" total) to help stability on corner entry, but it did not make much of a difference in the entry phase. I solved that with aero, so may need to revisit more toe in than the current 1/8-1/4" to get better drive on exit.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I still think toe in should be a last resort to try and find the rear end grip you're looking for, but food for thought if the rear of your S550 is looser under power than you want and you've checked all the other more likely culprits first.

Curious if anyone has found this to be true in a road racing/grip application as well?

I use rear toe quite a bit to either secure the rear or allow the car to turn on throttle. My guess is that the numbers you run on a drift car will be a function of the yaw angles you run. Where I might run 1-2mm, you might run 15mm. Your yaw angles are probably 10x what we see on a road course, so I guess I understand those numbers you're talking about. It probably makes the car a pain to push around the paddock, but it will definitely change the yaw torque on the chassis induced by the loaded rear tire drive load.

I use rear toe quite a bit to either secure the rear or allow the car to turn on throttle. My guess is that the numbers you run on a drift car will be a function of the yaw angles you run. Where I might run 1-2mm, you might run 15mm. Your yaw angles are probably 10x what we see on a road course, so I guess I understand those numbers you're talking about. It probably makes the car a pain to push around the paddock, but it will definitely change the yaw torque on the chassis induced by the loaded rear tire drive load.

Thanks for the reply, interesting to learn the mechanics of why this works. And confirms my suspicion that it is applicable to grip applications as well, just at relatively lower values to match the yaw rates seen in those scenarios.

I was often searching for more grip on exit when I was grip driving this car, wish I would have experimented with rear toe in then.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
It's an easy thing to forget about, because it's not very sexy. I've spent a decent amount of time on ovals, and you can really move the balance of the car by independently varying RR and RL toe.

TMO Supporting Vendors