The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Kaa- Rap, that is moving my friend!! Very impressive , especially on 200 TWR rubber conveyances! And, yes, I am talking about both track times because you definitely have your GT 350 hooked up. I am afraid all the rumors that you are a fairly fast Blue Oval Pilot do appear to be quite true!

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Kaa- Rap, that is moving my friend!! Very impressive , especially on 200 TWR rubber conveyances! And, yes, I am talking about both track times because you definitely have your GT 350 hooked up. I am afraid all the rumors that you are a fairly fast Blue Oval Pilot do appear to be quite true!

thank you sir....you might like this too from RA, this was my first time at RA and the fast lap conditions were interesting lol. Also learned that you can’t get sound and overlays from Garmin Catalyst....so had to video the video lol

Also amazed at how accurate the Garmin GPS is this is the lap from transponder

1612912037928.png

Last edited:
Few updates:

THUNDERHILL RACEWAY PARK (5-MILE INCLUDING CYCLONE, WEST BYPASS)
Speedboosted--2011 Mustang GT/295 Toyo RR/AP brakes/Watts/MCS TT2 - 3:13.4

WEATHERTECH RACEWAY LAGUNA SECA
Speedboosted--2011 Mustang GT/305 NT01/AP brakes/Watts/MCS TT2 - 1:42.8

THUNDERHILL RACEWAY PARK (3-MILE INCLUDING CYCLONE)
Speedboosted--2011 Mustang GT/295 Toyo RR/AP brakes/Watts/MCS TT2 - 2:02.9

Couple of old updates from late last season:

Club Motorsports (NH)
2011 GT / P springs / camber plates / 305 RE71 - 1:52.07

Palmer (MA)
2011 GT / P springs / camber plates / 305 RE71 - 1:52.80

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Carolina Motorsports Park (WET)
(Damp)- 1:54.39
(Medium rain)- 2:02.59
(heavy rain)- 2:08.25

all were on conti ec sport 275, ford racing rear bar/stock front. Conditions where less than ideal at most times, even when track was “drying” there wasn’t enough heat to create a solid dry surface. The rain created lots of rivers and curb aquariums😁

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Carolina Motorsports Park (WET)
(Damp)- 1:54.39
(Medium rain)- 2:02.59
(heavy rain)- 2:08.25

all were on conti ec sport 275, ford racing rear bar/stock front. Conditions where less than ideal at most times, even when track was “drying” there wasn’t enough heat to create a solid dry surface. The rain created lots of rivers and curb aquariums😁

I was pretty much a consistent 3 seconds off Apex the whole time. I would say his medium rain assessment was actually heavu rain and heavy rain was about a half step below a monsoon though

4y47hs.jpg

Also, I took strolling positively too... clarification - Oscar and I have known and picked on one another for awhile

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So Mr. Prix, how many laps were you getting before the Yoyomamas were getting greasy , or was it so cool that those sticky gumballs stayed in a comfortable temp zone? Had minor sponsorship from them ( Yomamas ) decades ago and have always been impressed at how fast the company advances when they are serious in the track performance tire competition wars. They are arguably the new " Kingpin " , with many cars in the auto crossing genre, but I keep hearing mixed reviews on road courses. I am sure many here would appreciate your views, especially if you are having good luck running 20-25 minute sessions, or if you have found an optimal tire temp for decent tread life and road course consistency.

Thanks for posting and solid time at the Big Willow!!

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So Mr. Prix, how many laps were you getting before the Yoyomamas were getting greasy , or was it so cool that those sticky gumballs stayed in the right temp zone. Had minor sponsorship from them decades ago and have always been impressed at how fast they advance when they are serious in the tracked performance tire competition wars. They are arguably the new " Kingpin " with many cars in the auto crossing genre, but I keep hearing mixed reviews on road courses. I am sure many here would appreciate your views, especially if you are having good luck running 20-25 minute sessions, or if you have found an optimal tire temp for decent tread life and road course consistency.

Thanks for posting and solid time at the Big Willow!!
I'm sure they'd hold for 20 minutes, and actually had a session where I was out for all 20 mins, and despite the same driving input and effort, I did see my times climbing with each successive lap. I didn't really notice them getting too greasy, but it was a very windy and cool day which likely contributed to it. I haven't yet run on A7's, but they seem very similar to the Nankang AR-1's where I'd get my best times on lap 2-3, and they were up to temp and ready to go on the first flying lap. For these, I was going out at 25-27 cold and would come back at 34-35, which for my 3400# car, has them right at the 1psi per 100# rule of thumb, and my camber settings had the wear almost right at the triangles. Looking at my times, I think they're optimally good for 3-5 all out laps, while they could go longer, my times increasing from the same input are likely signs of the overheating leading to decreasing performance.

I was doing an X pattern and rotating after every 2 sessions, so after these 8 HC's and 2 days, actually look pretty good. I'm going out to Chuckwalla this weekend, so I'll get a better 20 minute feel on them, and update with what my feelings are for longer sessions... but I'd like to think I've got another 8-12 cycles on them.

20210216_194644.jpg

The only other tire on that performance level is the 3R, which are about the same price point, perhaps a tiny bit better performing, but I have seen multiple people talking about how quickly they die out, most of my friends can't get more than 2 days out of them, and performance starts to massively decline after 10 or so. It'd be nice to hear what @flyhalf has to say, as he was also on A052's on the same day/track as I, also at 315/30/18 on EC-7 18x11's.

If you're doing Time Trials, depending on your org, it's going to be real hard to beat, because in NASA 100tw+ is a +0.6 mod!

Those were my a052 from the event we had 3 weeks before. Same track.
The pic is them after 5 sessions. 5laps every session and the last one 25mins open track (i tested and Billy Johnson tested my car too).
Few notes. I like the way they wear. Those are not rotated. So top left is the most abuse one at WSIR and yet great wearing.
The a052 are ready to go after half lap
Optimal for TT In colder weather.

The tire pick up lots of Psi. I found in my car (3887lbs with me) whatever tire over 34-35 looses grip. And becomes slippery.
The a052 tends to be little more sensitive compare to others cause they pick up heat (and pressure) fast. So if i start with 3R at 28 29 for sess1. I'm at 26 27 with a052.

Pros
Ready to go after half lap
Great lat grip( similar to 3R)
200tw
Cons
Once warm the 3R are faster
The lat G are nice but the A052 suffers in hard braking. The DCT70 overwhelm them. Dct70 pads work fine with 3R and A7.

Laptime
Wsir
1.27.0 with a052.
1.26.2 with old A7. (But..35mph wind with 6mph less peak speed )
I would say 1.5 slower than A7 in 2.5miles track without many turns.
3R are probaly half second faster.

For NASA event i think A052 is a better tire vs 3R cause you dont usually get many clear laps without traffic.

Alessandro

20210208_121840_HDR.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting guys and Paddy I really appreciate you listing your cars weight, as that has alot to do with tire wear with any tire. You are definitely on the lightweight side for a S550. Flyhalf is running at a great clip around Willow and I would imagine on a new A7 he would be running well over 2 seconds faster at a minimum , so it will be interesting to see what he runs this year if he switches over to Hoosiermamas instead of Yoyomammas,ha.

With the NASA rules changed in 2020 to primarily benefit Toyo Tires I was all ready to drop a little more weight and even bump the HP since the Toyos get the same bump ( +6 ) as the 100 TWR tires. Toyo in their infinite wisdom dropped the 315s, so going back to Hoosiers and leaving the car as it stands.

Your info is good news for Time Trialers as there are guys having great luck with the Rival S1.5s, but have seen little use of A052s in my area on road courses. Since TTs are only out around 15-20 minutes the two of you have offered some good info, though I imagine there will not be anyone doing wheel to wheel switching over to an A052 or Rival S, but then Time Trials necessitate a different tactic anyway.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
CHUCKWALLA VALLEY RACEWAY (CW)
2018 GT, lightened, 315/30/18 Yokohama Advan A052 -- 1:58.712 (transponder)

(1:58:758 / Track Addict)

@Bill Pemberton - Tried to go a full 20 min session with the Yokos, but I don't yet see it if you're going to w2w. While my times look pretty even in the transponder, I was greatly increasing my steering input, more sliding, and more aggression (which I should have had in the earlier sessions) but unless you're up front and playing defensive, I wouldn't have the confidence in pulling some super deep brake or something to pull a last second pass out, I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
And to compliment @PaddyPrix video above, here is the same lap from right behind him. Rare opportunity in the end of day “bonus” session which was practically a private track session - it was just us and 2 other cars on track. Low fuel kept me from extending the full 20 minutes with Patrick. Damn that was fun!!

2014 Mustang GT, 315/30/18 BFG Rival S 1.5 -- 1:59.235 (transponder)

2A5FBA8A-1986-48DC-813F-6A3138DBE1FA.jpeg

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
And to compliment @PaddyPrix video above, here is the same lap from right behind him. Rare opportunity in the end of day “bonus” session which was practically a private track session - it was just us and 2 other cars on track. Low fuel kept me from extending the full 20 minutes with Patrick. Damn that was fun!!

2014 Mustang GT, 315/30/18 BFG Rival S 1.5 -- 1:59.235 (transponder)

View attachment 62833
Funny what a difference perspective makes, I thought I had done well, but instead I had missed every apex by a car length or more. So, uh, I'd like to blame the sun being right in my eyes for most of it, and then the idiot driver for the rest.

That session was a blast though, just having more fun and freedom to hammer away and see how long I could get them to cry out for help, which at its peak turned out to be about half a lap. I had some low fuel challenges too, and could feel the car pulling power in some semi limp mode if I got on it hard exiting 6 and it'd last all the way to exiting the bowl of 13.

TMO Supporting Vendors