The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Sal try stiffening the front bar back up next event. I know it seems counterintuitive but these cars like to have strong roll resistance up front and stiff springs. You may have been getting onto the bump rubber and overloaded the outside tire. Shouldn't be to hard to change it to multiple positions at the track right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just talked about this exact thing but you pushed "Post" 2 seconds before I did....see above post.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal try stiffening the front bar back up next event. I know it seems counterintuitive but these cars like to have strong roll resistance up front and stiff springs. You may have been getting onto the bump rubber and overloaded the outside tire. Shouldn't be to hard to change it to multiple positions at the track right?

Sounds like we are on the same page, it's likely bottoming. The soft bar/shock setting is letting it travel too far and then it becomes a bar of infinite stiffness and makes me want to soften because that makes sense...yes, I said all that in my last post, but I think I took too long to say it. Now that I hear it from you and Grant it confirms my suspicion....thank you both for your input, I value your opinions.

I believe CorteX has an update for the JRi dampers plus you can upgrade yours to two way adjustable if your pocket book allows.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I believe CorteX has an update for the JRi dampers plus you can upgrade yours to two way adjustable if your pocket book allows.
Mother Hubbards cupboard is pretty bare right now....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well only got one session @ NCM this weekend, since the front splitter dropped off and dragged on the ground....any way I did set a time
j3st3r--Stock GT350--2:19.39
Just saw that you got a gt350! Congrats Brian! I had a feeling you might get one the way you were talking about them at Barber.

Did I read that right? 2:19?! That is a fantastic lap for a stock gt350 at NCM! Great Job! Most guys I've talked to have been in the 2:24-2:28 range. I ran a 2:24 in my stock gt350 tech pack. Hell, Jade Buford ran a 2:18 in a stock R, which is a good 4 seconds a lap faster at NCM.

Same thing happened to my gt350 splitter when it was installed by the dealer. Needless to say, when my R came I installed it myself...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sonoma Raceway
949 Racing -17 GT350, 100% bone stock 1:54.20

Streets of Willow, CCW
949 Racing - 17 GT350, P6GR/305 RS4 1:24.07
Excellent runs...goes to show whats possible with a really good driver.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
So how much fun did you have in Utah?

Great time, wish I could have stayed and done the race weekend but had to return to reality and save enough to finish getting my car together. Had Charlie Putman as lead instructor and James Burke helped me a lot with the Boss. Realized I am still pretty good with heel-toe, not as good on a new twisty technical track. My 1:49 lap would put me lower third in ST3 group historically but most laps were in the 1:51-1:53 range. Another couple days I think I would be consistently in the 1:48's. Boss car is fun, glad I'm building one with 70 more horsepower and 1" wider wheels and tires. A funny thing is they didn't understand why I was opening the hood after sessions, had to explain I wanted cool engine bay and brake fluid. Also got funny looks when I asked for an Allen wrench to lower my race seat, they got a mechanic over to do it for me. One last funny comment was when I asked before the last session if they (instructors) jumped the curb at the apex at the black rock hairpin to rotate the car. 5 out of 6 said no that wouldn't help, but young Mr Burke said well yes he has done it but you need good car control skills to do it. Hope he doesn't get a reprimand for answering honestly. I didn't try it in the last run, but did observe the many rubber mark on it. All in all great fun, a little rushed and targeted at a lower skilled group than where most of us are in 2017. Hoping to complete days 3 and 4 next year for NASA provisional license, the NASA group there was very well managed without the schedule delays and multiple incidents common here in the east.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors