The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

long time fan thinking about buying 12 Boss

80
0
Hello all, I`m long time lurker and just registered. I have been crazy over the boss right after it was released however I had a brand new "other brand" muscle car ordered and delivered shortly before it was announced. Well lets just say my mind has been thinking about a Boss since then and I decided that I might as well take a hit and buy the car that I truely wanted. When you have more pics of the boss than your own car on your comp then you know you really want one..lol
I waited until the 13 info came out and was excited and let down at the same time. I love hids and sync however the painted lower rockers seem to add a bit of bloat look to the car IMO and I was never a hater of the 12 rear tails, the 13 does look a bit better on certain colors. I miss the bulge in the hood. If competition orange was avail for 13 I would have ordered however the only color of the 13 I would get would be white.
I`m not use to a solid rear axel in a sports car, it`s been over 15 years since I had a mustang. From what I have researched on read the suspension on the boss feels planted and doesn`t skip around badly over bumps etc.. The only thing that has me worried is reading about trans grinding/not wanting to go into gear but I guess this is only small perc of actual owners. Anyways thanks for great forum with TONS of info it has helped me greatly.
 
Welcome to the site Zero.
There are plenty of unsold 12's out there so I would use the internet to help you find your Boss. I would not pay MSRP at this stage of the game either. Good luck in your search. I love my Boss.
Fred
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I wouldnt hesitate to buy one over again. best mustang I have ever owned. and I have had a good coverage. 96 cobra, 87 GT and a 06 GT the boss puts them all to shame for handling and how smooth they drive on the road. And the power it makes across the rev range is awesome. feels faster and is more fun through the gears than the 96 cobra and it made 603 at the wheels.
 
go for it. looks like $1500 off is pretty common on the 12's ' I would not hesitate and the shifter issue is not something that has stopped anyone from driving the hell out of this car for more than a few seconds. I enjoy mine every chance I get.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
2012boss said:
go for it. looks like $1500 off is pretty common on the 12's ' I would not hesitate and the shifter issue is not something that has stopped anyone from driving the hell out of this car for more than a few seconds. I enjoy mine every chance I get.
yeah just make your first mod a MGW shifter and some redline trans fluid and you should be set. Thats what I am doing. Only problem with my shifter that I have is its to easy to miss third and end up in 5th
 
You will notice the rear end if you are on rough roads and are used to a well sorted IRS. But once you get used to it, you will learn to trust it. There has not been a warm day since I bought mine, so it might be better when the tires are warmer but it is a little numb up front and jittery in the back until you get used to it. I come from a few very well set up IRS cars (one being a built racecar) and it took a bit of getting used to but I love it now.

Based on the other brand musclecars I have driven, you will not be disappointed at all. They were all fat turds, one in particular I didn't even do a test drive because I could feel it wallow with the salesman pulling it around the parking lot for me to take over.
 
zero said:
Hello all, I`m long time lurker and just registered. I have been crazy over the boss right after it was released however I had a brand new "other brand" muscle car ordered and delivered shortly before it was announced. Well lets just say my mind has been thinking about a Boss since then and I decided that I might as well take a hit and buy the car that I truely wanted. When you have more pics of the boss than your own car on your comp then you know you really want one..lol
I waited until the 13 info came out and was excited and let down at the same time. I love hids and sync however the painted lower rockers seem to add a bit of bloat look to the car IMO and I was never a hater of the 12 rear tails, the 13 does look a bit better on certain colors. I miss the bulge in the hood. If competition orange was avail for 13 I would have ordered however the only color of the 13 I would get would be white.
I`m not use to a solid rear axel in a sports car, it`s been over 15 years since I had a mustang. From what I have researched on read the suspension on the boss feels planted and doesn`t skip around badly over bumps etc.. The only thing that has me worried is reading about trans grinding/not wanting to go into gear but I guess this is only small perc of actual owners. Anyways thanks for great forum with TONS of info it has helped me greatly.

Hey zero, sounds like you've already talked yourself into a Boss ;)

I'm with you on the lower rockers. I have a '13 on order (Grabber Blue) and for the rockers I figured I could always get one of those "auto wrap" places to black out the lower rocker with vinyl. Can't be too much $$ and it would also protect that area.

Just a thought...
 
Zero, welcome to BMO. Which "waxer" muscle car did you own? ;D Like the others have said it's a fantastic car so don't hesitate. You will get an occasional reminder there's a live axle out back but it hooks up and puts the power down. I like the new rear end and like you didn't hate the 2010-2012 rears. In fact I think they look terrific from a side view.

Sfsmartp what year/model 911 did you own?
 
It was a 2008 911 with the tiptronic tranny. Paddle shifters were fun but I think the way I like to drive most of the time that the straight shift would have been better. I loved the 911 don't get me wrong. It was a true pleasure to drive. Handled like a slot car on the dragon and other curves at about any speed you could hang on. The 185 mph top speed is amazing but how often could I take advantage of that. It was very refined and comfortable. That was my dream car. All that being said, I paid a high price for all that. My first car was a mustang and I have had many since then. When the boss came back I knew it was time to go back to american muscle. Like I said I haven't been disappointed . For less than half the price of the 911 and in my opinion just as good or better in many ways. I know I am having more fun with it so far.
 
130
0
I'm in the same position. Been admiring the Boss since it was first announced. Trying to decide now between a 2012 or ordering a 2013.

There are 5 2012's within driving distance of me - 3 @ MSRP, one with a $5k ADM, one with a $7500 ADM.

I'm neutral on the changes to the front and rear and the HIDs. I like the 2013 hoods, but am thinking of a Tiger hood anyway. Sync and the 4.2" LCD would be nice though.

Argh.
 
Sfsmartp said:
It was a 2008 911 with the tiptronic tranny. Paddle shifters were fun but I think the way I like to drive most of the time that the straight shift would have been better. I loved the 911 don't get me wrong. It was a true pleasure to drive. Handled like a slot car on the dragon and other curves at about any speed you could hang on. The 185 mph top speed is amazing but how often could I take advantage of that. It was very refined and comfortable. That was my dream car. All that being said, I paid a high price for all that. My first car was a mustang and I have had many since then. When the boss came back I knew it was time to go back to american muscle. Like I said I haven't been disappointed . For less than half the price of the 911 and in my opinion just as good or better in many ways. I know I am having more fun with it so far.
I'm a big Porsche fan and have owned two 911's. I'd love to own a 997 GT3 (non RS). The Boss is not a Porsche but the fun factor is going to be similar and the cost of ownership is a lot less. Enjoy your Boss!
 
Rich_S said:
I'm in the same position. Been admiring the Boss since it was first announced. Trying to decide now between a 2012 or ordering a 2013.

There are 5 2012's within driving distance of me - 3 @ MSRP, one with a $5k ADM, one with a $7500 ADM.

I'm neutral on the changes to the front and rear and the HIDs. I like the 2013 hoods, but am thinking of a Tiger hood anyway. Sync and the 4.2" LCD would be nice though.

Argh.
Your dilemma would be easy for me. Both cars are going to drive identical so if your neutral on the looks go for price. You should be able to get a 2012 for $2K+ less than sticker easily. Use that extra money for mods including a new BT ear bud. :D
 
130
0
5 DOT 0 said:
Rich_S said:
I'm in the same position. Been admiring the Boss since it was first announced. Trying to decide now between a 2012 or ordering a 2013.

There are 5 2012's within driving distance of me - 3 @ MSRP, one with a $5k ADM, one with a $7500 ADM.

I'm neutral on the changes to the front and rear and the HIDs. I like the 2013 hoods, but am thinking of a Tiger hood anyway. Sync and the 4.2" LCD would be nice though.

Argh.
Your dilemma would be easy for me. Both cars are going to drive identical so if your neutral on the looks go for price. You should be able to get a 2012 for $2K+ less than sticker easily. Use that extra money for mods including a new BT ear bud. :D

I've seen a lot of chatter online about them going for $1k-$2k under sticker, but none of the dealers around here seem to want to do it.

Any idea when the hold on 2013's will be over and they'll start showing up at dealers again?
 
Rich_S said:
I've seen a lot of chatter online about them going for $1k-$2k under sticker, but none of the dealers around here seem to want to do it.

Any idea when the hold on 2013's will be over and they'll start showing up at dealers again?
The deals are out there so keep looking. I have no idea when the stripe issue will be resolved and cars released.

Welcome to BMO and good luck with your search.
 
A guy over on one of the other Boss forums just posted today that his dealer told him he now had to wait till May for his and did not say when in May. Also that it will be like this for everybody waiting right now. Who knows if he is right or not.
 
I understand your pain. I will say I absolutly love my 12 comp orange this car is something else a mans car but will warn there is no place for a purse unlike the porche ;D We have a few coworkers that drive those type of cars and always ask them where they keep their purse ;D youll understand once you get a Boss I promiss this one. as for the shift problems well I have not had any but have ordered the mgw for the simple reason it will fix the problem and is so well built that a qtp electric exhaust cutouts a laser intrceptor good radar and you will be set. I also love the track key I know some people did not get theirs installed correctly or is unhappy with it but I for one have had all good from it. Good luck.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top