The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for shop to rebuild differential in Georgia or nearby.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Athens, Georgia
I’ve got a 2019 GT PP1 with the Torsen diff. Temps keep getting high on the track (275F-300F) the diff cooler isn’t helping. Sent the fluid off to Blackstone for analysis after a weekend event at Sebring. Results after 500 miles on-track showed significant viscosity breakdown and high levels of iron. So, to cover my bases, I’ve got all new parts ordered from Ford Performance. New Ring and Pinion, new Torsen, rebuild kit will all the bearings and seals, also going to upgrade the half shafts while we are at it. Unfortunately, it appears that a new loaded diff case with all this installed is not available from anyone. I can buy a loaded unit with the traction-lock and the 3.55 gears, but not one with the Torsen and 3.73 gears. Since this is a fairly intricate job and some experience is needed setting back-lash, pre-load, and pinion depth, I’m trying to find a shop that has some experience rebuilding differentials on performance cars. I’m in Athens, GA. Closer is better but willing to go anywhere in Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

The easiest way I have found to cool a diff, outside of a cooler, is to increase the backlash. That being said, there are multitudes of Torsen 8.8 diffs running on road courses across the US. Not sure why you would have a particular problem with them

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I know you already bought all the parts but why didn’t you just buy one from a junkyard? Like Midway Mustang or Parts Farm?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Steeda is in Valdosta. They have a really good Ford Tech on staff. They mostly do installs there but it is worth asking. If he will not do it he can most likely refer you to someone.
The S550 rears are much harder to cool than the old stick axles. Less mass to dissipate heat and less gear lube heats up faster. I’m afraid new parts will have the same issues on track if you don’t find a way to cool it. Unless you get adequate cooling you are wasting money rebuilding.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Athens, Georgia
I know you already bought all the parts but why didn’t you just buy one from a junkyard? Like Midway Mustang or Parts Farm?
Want to avoid trading one problem for another. Feel much better about having all new parts inside the pumpkin. Also hoping the shop doing the rebuild can save the old parts so I can inspect for wear and see if the actual problem can be identified.
Thanks for the info though on Midway and Parts Farm, might try them in the future for other less critical parts.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Athens, Georgia
Steeda is in Valdosta. They have a really good Ford Tech on staff. They mostly do installs there but it is worth asking. If he will not do it he can most likely refer you to someone.
The S550 rears are much harder to cool than the old stick axles. Less mass to dissipate heat and less gear lube heats up faster. I’m afraid new parts will have the same issues on track if you don’t find a way to cool it. Unless you get adequate cooling you are wasting money rebuilding.
Agreed.
I have a Kenny Brown Cooler installed. Did have a FTB cooler first. It worked very well for about 2 years. Then the temps started creeping up . It was like the cooler had a problem or couldn’t keep up. Thinking the Kenny Brown cooler was a better build, I switched to it. Same problem. That’s when I suspected an actual problem with the Diff. Sent the fluid off to Blackstone which confirmed high iron content so I suspect some bad bearings or other issue. Once we do the rebuild, I’ll double check that the cooler pump, fan, filter, etc are all working correctly.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
FWIW, my '16 PP1 with Torsen used to overheat constantly on hot days. I tried a pile of different lubes and RedLine diff lube was the only one that did not overheat much. I think it was 75/140. It's best to put a cooler on it, I used a FTBR FT570 kit. Fairly simple install, but even with that kit the diff croaked anyway, I guess it had already had too much abuse.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel