The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for track shoe tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Hey everyone. I'm looking to purchase my first set of track shoes and I'm not quite sure what to look for. I'm installing a set of SRP pedals to help improve my heel toe shifting and I think it's time to ditch my tennis shoes. Not racing, but regular HPDE type of driving. Nike shoes always fit me like a glove. I have a foot that is a little bit on the narrow side. I'm looking to stay under $200.

Do you guys have any tips and/or recommendations? Also, a 9.5 shoe seems to fall between a 42 and 43 UK size. Should I size up if a 9.5 is not available? I found these below and they look to be a good deal.

https://www.ogracing.com/alpinestars-tech-1-t-racing-shoes-6

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Puma makes affordable shoes suitable for driving. Light weight, narrow soles that allow you to feel the pedals.

With your $200.00 budget you should be able to buy a dedicated racing shoe. Best advice is to to find a shop which was shoes in stock and try them on.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Puma makes affordable shoes suitable for driving. Light weight, narrow soles that allow you to feel the pedals.

With your $200.00 budget you should be able to buy a dedicated racing shoe. Best advice is to to find a shop which was shoes in stock and try them on.

Thanks, I will check those out. My problem is that there isn't anything closer than 100 miles away for me try on for fit.

DFW, TX
Puma Drift Cat and their motorsports series of shoes are narrow, probably run about a half size small. They have some pretty cheap sale prices right now on the US Puma website.

Mail order is a bit of a guess I know. Even within the Puma brand some of the toe area is tighter.

They were running a sale on Drift Cat Carbon 5 model and with an email coupon from being on their email list, I got two pair for under $50. I had a previous pair that a wore out in a year. They are not ultra durable, but they fit me well.

On a side note, I bought some Piloti shoes recently and they are HUGE in comparison. A lot more durable, wider in foot area and soles, stiffer and heavier. Maybe they will break in.... Not really what I was expecting before I tried them on. They're ok once I struggle to get them on, but the stiff soles may not give the feel you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Puma Drift Cat and their motorsports series of shoes are narrow, probably run about a half size small. They have some pretty cheap sale prices right now on the US Puma website.

Yes, I just saw that. There is a store near me that might actually carry this shoe for me to try on.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I have to say that I'm actually surprised by all the responses from people wearing what seems to be low cut tennis shoes with a thinner sole. I have always seen people walking the paddock or getting out of cars while wearing shoes such as Sparco, OMP, RaceQuip, and etc. I just assumed that was the style of shoe that was needed. I may have to rethink this.

DFW, TX
I have to say that I'm actually surprised by all the responses from people wearing what seems to be low cut tennis shoes with a thinner sole. I have always seen people walking the paddock or getting out of cars while wearing shoes such as Sparco, OMP, RaceQuip, and etc. I just assumed that was the style of shoe that was needed. I may have to rethink this.
For HPDE I would just use what's comfortable. I do have a full driving suit, nomex underwear, gloves, HANS, and true Nomex lined racing shoes. Maybe I should wear it all when instructing...especially some of the students vehicles I'm in...

I would say the width of the soles may change your heel-toe method. Most racing shoes are quite narrow so your pedal spacing is critical. My open wheel car has pedals very close together, I actually bought smaller size shoes because it's so confined.

Size 11 Piloti vs Puma
Size 42 Sparco, vs Pumac12818ebc4ed536a247dd47f5a99983a.jpg86d0e05e5934c6239453a820c1e33cdb.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Excellent presentation with the pics! The spacing with the pedals on my S550 was a bit far and is why I purchased the SRP pedals. I went with the medium width for the accelerator and not the extra wide. I don't think the very narrow sole is a must, but I do want something more narrow than the Nike cross trainers I've been wearing.

The Piloti looks to be about the same width so I think I will rule those out for HPDE. However, I always develop a hot spot on my right heel on longer road trips, so I may just buy a pair for road trips. So I think I will look for some Pumas or reasonably priced racing style shoes for HPDE then.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I've always liked Merrell's, but they always tend to be too wide for my foot. That looks like a shoe that would work though.

DFW, TX
How’s the sizing on the drift cats compared to Nike?
I would say you need to go up a half size. Some that have a more pointy toe, maybe a full size. I think the ones that have a one piece toe area can be a bit more cramped and might need a full size bigger. They have so many variations of their motorsport lifestyle shoe that is difficult to tell what all they change.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I have the shoes that you posted on your first post. Great shoes. Makes it easier for heel toe and I have better sensations compared to regular shoes.

I wear Adidas Superstar as my everyday shoes and ordered the Alpinestar in the same size and no issue. They run narrower as they're racing shoes.

I would check with the dealer their return policy just in case.

Thanks for the feedback on that. It really helps.

TMO Supporting Vendors