The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 LS3 Pony Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Common habit for so many folks and it is actually even hard on the transmission ( constant weight on the shifter , which seems so light but can be tough on the gearbox ). I will guarantee you will gain time with both hands, and when often , autocrossing , one can lose by a few tenths, this could be a major jump where you end up gaining those bits of a second and more!
All good points. I need to make a conscience effort to fix it.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I finished 1st in PAX!!!

Great day of racing yesterday, probably the best driving I’ve ever done. I finished #1 of 132 in PAX and #2 RAW time out of the door slammer cars. I really tried to focus on keeping both hands on the wheel and caught myself a few times during the day.

D3BD0056-88A9-4CA3-9B8B-C4ECAB430A68.png2E8E0449-9E81-4AD8-B9BF-2FE36E951472.jpeg
0304E6BF-4B39-49EE-9CBE-AD4DDF82C192.jpeg

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I took off work today to get a little work done on the car. I made a video that explains everything pretty well but I'll give the cliff notes. I've noticed on long, high speed left turns that the catch can fills up really fast. The last couple events with a co-driver and long left turns it has become more obvious. I decided to try something different and swapped catch cans. I had an open to atmosphere catch can and I changed to a recirculating setup with a Mishimoto catch can. I rerouted the lines and tried to mimic the OEM setup as much as possible.

Here is what I've been using since the car was put together. It's just a generic catch can and an adapter from Mighty Mouse that runs to the oil fill port on the valve cover with a -10an line. Very simple and effective... for drag racers. The lack of baffling in the valve cover and the excess oil pooling in the head (common for LS's) makes it a bad combination for high-G left turns.
ECE2DBDA-11F5-4B79-919B-F22E403CBE06.jpg

This is what I switched to. It's a Mishimoto Compact XL catch can. It has a brass filter element to separate the air/oil and the bottom unscrews to empty it easily with no tools. I'm not a fan of the tiny mounting bracket that it hangs from but I guess time will tell if that is warranted.
mmbcc-cbtwo-xlbk_3_iqlomcublmjdkajl (1).jpg
mmbcc-cbtwo-xlbk_5_hyacrl93ffs7ov9v.jpg

I made a small bracket out of aluminum and mounted it to the pinch weld at the rear of the engine bay. Not exactly pretty but it's functional.
IMG_8670.JPG

I welded a bung into my intake pipe to create a "fresh air loop" to basically pull air into the crankcase.
IMG_8672.JPG

Now the intake tube is attached to the passenger valve cover and then the valley cover vents to the catch can before recirculating back into the intake manifold.
IMG_8678.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I made a small bracket out of aluminum and mounted it to the pinch weld at the rear of the engine bay. Not exactly pretty but it's functional.
View attachment 88269
Funny I used those exact same holes to mount my catch can. Really convenient location.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Who's in for some updates?!

I've been slow getting this updated because our region has been slow getting event results out so I guess we'll press on without them.

Kansas City Event #6. After my last run I was sitting 1st in CAM-T and 2nd in PAX. A car after me in heat one leaked transmission fluid on half the track forcing a couple hour delay to clean up the mess and a huge course alteration for subsequent heats. I don't know that we'll ever see the final results for this event but here is a video. I ended up smacking the last cone on course at 57mph during my last run and did some damage to my fender.

Pics of my poor fender. I guess I need to add learn how to fix fiberglass to my list of things to do.
IMG_8776.JPG
IMG_8775.JPG
IMG_8774.JPG

Kansas City Event #7. I finished 1st in CAM-T and 4th of 119 in PAX. I need to drive one of these damn Volkswagens that keep beating me.
370533575_6828929790484303_5475569743621174057_n.jpg
371387132_6828930017150947_686316453190880012_n.jpg
IMG_8796.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Lincoln CAM Invitational
My wife took a whole album worth of pictures from this event that you can view here > https://photos.app.goo.gl/8fmVHY37AAuyHsao8

This was my first time ever coming to Lincoln. My last trip to a CAM challenge was in Topeka where I blew my transmission and got my butt kicked up to that point. I was hoping some of my success at the regional level would translate against some much stiffer competition.

I had to make sure the car was clean for it's Lincoln debut, lol.
IMG_3429.jpeg

Many top level drivers in attendance including Al Uncer Jr in the Speedway Camaro and J.J. Mallrich who has won many national level events. I knew he would be fast. In total we had 13 cars in CAM-T.
IMG_8835.JPG
IMG_8837.JPG
IMG_8834.JPG
IMG_8836.JPG
IMG_8832.JPG

We got 4 runs then they took the top 8 cars for the shootout. My only goal was to make the shootout. There was no live timing so we had to remember times as they were announced to keep track of where we were in the pecking order. After the morning runs I ended up with a 30.454, only .7 behind J.J. and good enough for 4th going into the shootout.
IMG_8892.JPG

When the shootout started it had been a couple hours since we ran so we got 2 runs in the first round and they took the top 4 cars. This time I was able to close the gap and put myself in 3rd place in the final 4 of the shootout, one spot ahead of Al Jr which made my whole weekend. During the final 4 I couldn't find anymore time and ended up .5 behind J.J. for the top CAM-T spot. I couldn't be happier with how I did and felt like the car and myself held our own against some really fast competition.

IMG_8891.JPG

Here's the video of my 30.161 run and a few action pictures from my wife.

_DSC7272.JPG
_DSC7669.JPG
_DSC7732.jpg

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Kansas City Event #8 last weekend. I finished 1st in CAM-T, 3rd of 108 in PAX, and 5th of 108 RAW. I really didn’t like the course and kinda felt off all day but it ended up working out. I ran a 46.1 on my last run which would have been TTOD(other than the F-mod) but I clipped a cone somewhere so I had to stand on the 46.4. Only two more events this year before the long offseason.

381284461_10160858913024144_8594275595946638562_n.jpg
381851934_10160858913034144_1008936157356222518_n.jpg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
My splitter died a couple months ago from getting wet. The polyurethane I used to seal it was kinda crappy but it still ended up lasting a couple years. Luckily another local driver has access to a CNC router so he's going to cut me a new splitter out of some aluminum backed ABS. It's the same material my rear spoiler is made out of. Speaking of rear spoilers he's going to cut me another one of those too. Right now I'm not even close to the limit of spoiler height for CAM so we're gonna add a couple inches to it and give it a little more shape. Since not having the front splitter on I think I can really feel a difference in front end grip, not huge but noticeable. I also added some cutouts to the splitter to accommodate some splitter ramps.

Splitter Drawing.JPG
Spoiler.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Kansas City Event #9 is in the books. I ended up 3rd overall in both PAX and RAW time out of 108 drivers. As it sits right now I think I'm 3rd overall in the PAX championship for the year. With a good showing at our last event I have a chance to move into 2nd overall. With that said I recruited a co-driver for out last event to help keep the tires warm :hellyeah:

Here is results and video from #9.
387748947_6987870937923520_2681627512712590481_n.jpg
387823097_6987871371256810_1594491331306952428_n.jpg
This course was pretty interesting. We had a "PLINKO" element where it was basically chose your own line but don't hit a cone. The line I initially picked was definitely not optimal and ended up running several different lines. Lots of discussion on this one.

We've had tons of issues with timing this year and getting results out. :confused: Our season points still have not been updated with one event left so I took it upon myself to figure out where I stood. As long as I didn't fat finger anything it looks like I'm sitting 3rd overall for the region in the PAX championship.
image001.png

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Ha I also have my own spreadsheet to keep track of points. My club only puts out total tallies halfway and at the end of the season.

They only do one drop? Or is that to figure out current standing?
I need to fix that. We're actually getting 3 drops. Normally just two but since event 6 was a shiznit show it got dropped for everybody. My spreadsheet points are correct just need to fix the heading.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I've been super busy lately working on two houses and trying to move but here are some updates.

Kansas City Region Season Finale for 2023. I ended up 4th in PAX and 8th RAW out of 126 drivers. This was enough to put me in 2nd place for the PAX championship this season. I'm really happy with that result. Mark Hill (in 1st place) has multiple National Championships under his belt so I'm not at all sad about coming up 2nd. I beat him a couple times this season so at least I know I can. Unfortunately I don't think much is getting done to the car this offseason so we'll just have to run it back next year and hope for the best.

Video

Event Results
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Year End Results
Capture4.JPG

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
My splitter died a couple months ago from getting wet. The polyurethane I used to seal it was kinda crappy but it still ended up lasting a couple years. Luckily another local driver has access to a CNC router so he's going to cut me a new splitter out of some aluminum backed ABS. It's the same material my rear spoiler is made out of. Speaking of rear spoilers he's going to cut me another one of those too. Right now I'm not even close to the limit of spoiler height for CAM so we're gonna add a couple inches to it and give it a little more shape. Since not having the front splitter on I think I can really feel a difference in front end grip, not huge but noticeable. I also added some cutouts to the splitter to accommodate some splitter ramps.

View attachment 90262
View attachment 90263
this is very useful info! I'm going to start working on my splitter using this.
thanks for sharing!

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I brought home some hardware this weekend.
-Kansas City Region CAM-T Champion
-MiDiv Solo Series (sponsored by @DaveW) CAM-T runner-up (I was one event down to the champ)
-Most improved driver? I think I was one event short last year which put my in 46th place in the PAX standings, this year I ended up 2nd. I don't think I should have received this award, many people much more deserving than me.
-Kansas City Region overall PAX runner-up

With that said I'm likely taking this next season off. I'll be TDY to the east coast for a couple months and then I still have a massive amount of work to get done on the house we've been renovating for the last several months. I hope to be back for 2025 at full strength.
2023 SCCA awards.jpg

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
-MiDiv Solo Series (sponsored by @DaveW) CAM-T runner-up (I was one event down to the champ)
-Most improved driver? I think I was one event short last year which put my in 46th place in the PAX standings, this year I ended up 2nd. I don't think I should have received this award, many people much more deserving than me.

With that said I'm likely taking this next season off. I'll be TDY to the east coast for a couple months and then I still have a massive amount of work to get done on the house we've been renovating for the last several months. I hope to be back for 2025 at full strength.
View attachment 93083
:hellyeah:

Congrats! Pretty cool trophies too.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia

View attachment 93083
They give some cool awards. I like the water bottle and the hat.

What are you doing on the east coast?

TMO Supporting Vendors