The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Especially with autocross not being in the plans where you can run afoul of restrictions on wheel and tire sizes, try to peer into the future for sizing them now so you don't later find out that you've limited yourself too much. 11" will give you more room to grow as a driver, and it's beginning to look like much of the better rubber in big enough sizes is in the process of moving up another inch from 18. In 19", you'd probably want to look at tire sizes 5 profile points lower than what you'd look at in 18" for the same width tire.

Norm

New on my study list ---- deciphering and sorta cross-referencing many of the tire sizes by brand per rim size and width along with reviews on performance vs life or best or happy medium or both. And sort slick vs street. It will be a year until I'm on a track. 😆 And sell the dog so I can upgrade brakes so I can utilize all of the wonderful contact.

What breed of dog?? LOL ;)
She's a 15 yr old red lab hound mix that requires neoprene braces on the rear end for walks. I don't think I'll get much for her so might as well keep... If you're dishing out the cash, are you looking for anything else?!? I have some water that the drops always land right side up! Only sold in ounces but bulk rates are available in 16 oz bottles with free shipping and 20% TMO discount - code H2O20. I accept PayPal FF. If you chose to do the item option please add the additional 3%. $3.99/ OZ. $15.85 /16 OZ ( 1 oz free with 15) How much do you want?!? PM me for my PayPal email. 😎

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have been on another Mustang forum for several years, but it is almost dead at this point. The last few years my focus has been road coursing my car. The other forum had a motorsports section, but is seeing almost no activity as the users have moved on to different cars or different forums. I am looking forward to a community of track minded people.

Eric

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I have been on another Mustang forum for several years, but it is almost dead at this point. The last few years my focus has been road coursing my car. The other forum had a motorsports section, but is seeing almost no activity as the users have moved on to different cars or different forums. I am looking forward to a community of track minded people.

Eric
Welcome Eric, hope you enjoy the vibe here, lots of experienced and friendly members here. Please do post a vehicle profile for your car in the Member Cars section (which will auto create a build thread for you, which you can then update at your leisure). Sharing progress from the vehicle build and also the track events is really popular with this group.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Eric
You have come to the right place!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Welcome Eric, hope you enjoy the vibe here, lots of experienced and friendly members here. Please do post a vehicle profile for your car in the Member Cars section (which will auto create a build thread for you, which you can then update at your leisure). Sharing progress from the vehicle build and also the track events is really popular with this group.
I tried creating a profile, but each time I try to upload pictures my browser closes losing everything that I typed in. I will try again later.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA

Eric
Welcome! I’m relatively new here also. Great forum, friendly folks, and an incredible amount of knowledge. Enjoy!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
Hi Eric:

Being new to the track, I've only participated in a few HPDRE so far at the Pittsburgh International Race Complex. My intention was do a few more this summer, but alas, Covid screwed with those plans. Anyway, my main reason for joining the forum was to gain additional knowledge from our more experienced members. I don't ever see myself moving beyond my lightly modified S550 PP1, (camber plates, lowered 350R springs, 19" x 11" ForgeStar Wheels through Vorshlag with 305 / 30 / 19 square rubber, and rear diff cooling setup from Fulltiltboogieracing), as this set up completely street legal, and this is where the car spends most of its time.

My main goal is to improve my driving skill level on the track, and I don't feel that the car will be a limiter for the foreseeable future. I do know however that moving to a track only machine involves a much greater commitment of both resources and time which I observed with a couple of friends who made the jump too soon and regretting it.DSC_0425.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Hi Eric:

Being new to the track, I've only participated in a few HPDRE so far at the Pittsburgh International Race Complex. My intention was do a few more this summer, but alas, Covid screwed with those plans. Anyway, my main reason for joining the forum was to gain additional knowledge from our more experienced members. I don't ever see myself moving beyond my lightly modified S550 PP1, (camber plates, lowered 350R springs, 19" x 11" ForgeStar Wheels through Vorshlag with 305 / 30 / 19 square rubber, and rear diff cooling setup from Fulltiltboogieracing), as this set up completely street legal, and this is where the car spends most of its time.

My main goal is to improve my driving skill level on the track, and I don't feel that the car will be a limiter for the foreseeable future. I do know however that moving to a track only machine involves a much greater commitment of both resources and time which I observed with a couple of friends who made the jump too soon and regretting it.View attachment 60177

I understand where you are coming from. The car is not a limiting factor for many of us. I have owned my car since new. It was my daily for the first 3-4 years. I changed jobs and started commuting 110 miles roundtrip per day. After six months of this, I bought my wife a new car and took our oldest car for my commuter. The Mustang became my weekend car. I have been tracking it for about 5 years now and it has been an evolution. It is still street legal and was driven to the track until this year. I invested in a trailer since the closest track is about 4 hours away. I just feel more comfortable knowing how I am going to get home if something happens at the track.

The beauty of these cars is you can't beat the performance per $. You can throw on a set of tires, some brake pads and decent fluid and start embarrassing some pretty expensive cars on the track. Enjoy your car and make it uniquely yours.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Los Angeles
Please introduce yourself and tell us about your other cars and interest.
Hello all-

My name is Andrew and I am a chef professionally here in sunny Los Angeles CA. I posted my 04 GT as I am looking to sell it. It will be hard to let her go but do not have the money to keep her going. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Will ship to anywhere in the US.

Please let me know if anyone has questions. Personal email is [email protected]

Happy driving!!

Andrew

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
TX
HI! I'm a middle-aged guy who's been tracking and building cars since college. Worked in the automotive industry one way or another since before graduation, mostly focused in racing and performance, but lately more in safety. Haven't been on track much since leaving the west coast for TX awhile back (new job, new house, new hobbies), but want to get back out there and see which way the tracks around here go. I'm currently trying to plan a build using Mustang parts in a non-Ford chassis. From all my searching, this looks like a place where people are likely to have the information I need, or know how to help me find it.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and you found the right place and you might list where you are in Texas , as there are plenty of TMO members in the Lone Star State. Depending on where you currently reside , you could be close to a plethora of road courses and if you are near COTA you have a circuit that rivals anything available in California , imho.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
TX
I've been to COTA plenty of times, haven't driven it yet. Did a few laps on TWS when it was still open before Harvey. I found an index of TX tracks recently, and hadn't realized how many there are. That's part of what's motivating me on this project.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
TX
E46 coupe. I know, LS the world. But I'm just not really interested in being the 2000th guy to do that. I'd rather be a couple hundred pounds lighter and actually have space to work on the engine in the car. The chassis is still my favorite, two decades later. I've always liked lightweight cars with four cylinders that rev. I've looked really hard at K24, 4G63, even Mazda BP. Duratec appears to be the best answer for the chassis. It's cheap, it has factory options for a rear sump, and reasonable choices for RWD transmission. The Duratec with a turbo will make more than enough power for me to go as fast as I want with the weight it will end up at. The cars get really light when you really go after taking all the heavy stuff out of them, and the Duratec is light. Mid-high 300s at the wheels should get it to around 8 lb/hp, which will keep me entertained, likely indefinitely. I'll probably work with it in mid-200s for a season or two.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel