The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Plenty of good pads to use and one source at your disposal is either KNS Brakes or OPMustang , both site sponsors. I would frankly recommend something more like Motul 600 since you are just getting started as it is great brake fluid, reasonably priced and there are a large portion of Trackrats that use it ( and swear by it ).

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Plenty of good pads to use and one source at your disposal is either KNS Brakes or OPMustang , both site sponsors. I would frankly recommend something more like Motul 600 since you are just getting started as it is great brake fluid, reasonably priced and there are a large portion of Trackrats that use it ( and swear by it ).
Perfect, thank you! I already have a spread sheet made and, thankfully, my wife is all about it.

Motul 600
G Loc R10 Rear
G-Loc R16 Front (Maybe R12)
All the parts for the Vorshlag Brake Cooling
Clutch is next big thing since mine is stock and at the drag strip it has gotten stuck on the floor.

"Babe, this is all safety since it's brakes and cooling. It's not a supercharger and I promise I'll get wheels and tires next year...because safety."

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Keep in mind the single most important thing to go fast is tires. I would probably go with a R16 over a R12 , as the cars are heavy and if you run fast tracks they will wear somewhat quickly. Nice that you wife is involved ,it makes it so much easier when you need to get something and she is on board, ha. You can tell her you have a mistress now, but not to worry as she is green and just likes fuel and rubber to feel appreciated.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Shoukon.

The clutch is likely the issue. Some relief May be had by removing the clutch pedal assist spring, assuming it’s still there. The spring helps with the second half of the clutch travel by applying pressure to the pedal, after center. The main issue is the weight of the clutch assembly.
I personally hated the feel of the clutch pedal with the spring installed
I swapped out the stock clutch early on and never looked back. An MGW shifter is also a solid upgrade.
If you could do a build sheet on your car, it will help us help you spend money…..I mean improve your car with an emphasis on safety first. :hellyeah:

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Shoukon.

The clutch is likely the issue. Some relief May be had by removing the clutch pedal assist spring, assuming it’s still there. The spring helps with the second half of the clutch travel by applying pressure to the pedal, after center. The main issue is the weight of the clutch assembly.
I personally hated the feel of the clutch pedal with the spring installed
I swapped out the stock clutch early on and never looked back. An MGW shifter is also a solid upgrade.
If you could do a build sheet on your car, it will help us help you spend money…..I mean improve your car with an emphasis on safety first. :hellyeah:
I'm not too sure if I still have the spring or not. I don't have a dislike of the clutch feel, but I'll see after the clutch replacement.

Build sheet on the car is easy. It has,

MGW X-Spec Shifter
Cigarette Lighter Adapter so my wife can charge her iPhone.

If she didn't have that I couldn't keep the car. And yes, safety first always...regardless of how expensive the safety is.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm not too sure if I still have the spring or not. I don't have a dislike of the clutch feel, but I'll see after the clutch replacement.

Build sheet on the car is easy. It has,

MGW X-Spec Shifter
Cigarette Lighter Adapter so my wife can charge her iPhone.

If she didn't have that I couldn't keep the car. And yes, safety first always...regardless of how expensive the safety is.
Safety is cheap....its medical bills that get expensive.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hey everyone, I'm new here. My name is Ross, I've got a 2011 GT w/brembo package. Not new to HPDE, but that was in a Honda, so I'm new to driving mustangs on track. This forum appears to be THE wealth of knowledge. Looking forward to being a part of the community!
Welcome, you have come to the right place!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Hi all, I'm brand new here, and I'm brand new to actually getting a car on a track. My name is Elliott, and I have a red on black 05 Mustang GT that I have been slowly turning into a respectable track car. I've loved cars ever since I was a kid, and it's been a bit of a dream of mine to actually race on a track competitively.

My Mustang is a bit rough on the outside (paint got messed up on the fender from someone bumping into it in the parking lot at work, and the clear coat is starting to peel on top) and has a lot of miles, but it runs far better than the mileage would suggest.

The goal of the build is to keep it at least kinda-sorta streetable, but still pretty biased toward track use. I'm keeping the original 4.6 3v block in it naturally aspirated, but I also plan on making it rev to the stratosphere. I have my reasons :)

Sorry if that was too much of an info dump, but I'm happy to have found you all, and I look forward to learning from you all!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hi all, I'm brand new here, and I'm brand new to actually getting a car on a track. My name is Elliott, and I have a red on black 05 Mustang GT that I have been slowly turning into a respectable track car. I've loved cars ever since I was a kid, and it's been a bit of a dream of mine to actually race on a track competitively.

My Mustang is a bit rough on the outside (paint got messed up on the fender from someone bumping into it in the parking lot at work, and the clear coat is starting to peel on top) and has a lot of miles, but it runs far better than the mileage would suggest.

The goal of the build is to keep it at least kinda-sorta streetable, but still pretty biased toward track use. I'm keeping the original 4.6 3v block in it naturally aspirated, but I also plan on making it rev to the stratosphere. I have my reasons :)

Sorry if that was too much of an info dump, but I'm happy to have found you all, and I look forward to learning from you all!
Welcome to the stick axle gang….post up some pics of your ride and don’t forget to do a build page. Lots of knowledgeable folks here ready to spend your money….er….help you with advice on your build. ;)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
United States
Welcome to the stick axle gang….post up some pics of your ride and don’t forget to do a build page. Lots of knowledgeable folks here ready to spend your money….er….help you with advice on your build. ;)
Happy to be here! I intend to post pictures, but it really needs a wash before I take pictures. I sadly do not have a garage yet, and my neighbors have been doing a TON of construction/renovating, so dust is in no short supply. I do have some older pictures, so I suppose I could post those...

Edit: Photos I have are either really old, or with other cars. Dirty car photo at night it is! Photo is on my build sheet

Will post a build sheet. I've already got a decent amount of the upper-mid range mods done, so the really, really expensive stuff and the cheaper stepping stones will be upcoming. I am not looking forward to paying for a sturdy maximum effort valvetrain, but really high rpms put a really big smile on my face.

Also, no worries on the spending my money part, I already do that way too well lol. I am always open to suggestions on better and efficient ways to spend my money. Looking at shocks, struts, springs, wheels, and 6-piston big brakes next. Apparently the Koni yellows and Ford Racing P-springs are really good for non-coilovers, so that'll probably be my next mod.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and noticing that white fence in the background , I am afraid those powerful ponies are not going to be fenced inch! We have some other folks on here with similar thoroughbred stables and we know you will find TMO a great place to get up to date information on what is working on tracks around the US , Canada ,and the World.

Fences only give criminals a challenge......Mustangs hop over them like they weren't even there.........I wish I was that agile...............years ago......not anymore...the years creep up and you don't even realize it........until you say Oh my God.....What happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........Son stopped by with some bananas..........let me take my meds and read the paper........Haven't had a nice sunny Boss day in a while........I guess January gives you that, sometimes.............

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Acworth, GA
Evening y'all...new guy out of the ATL area with a foxbody.
I've been using it for HPDE activities and the occasional Fri nights at the drag strip. Currently doing some setup work for the 2024 season and it looks like the foxbody section on here could use a little activity so hopefully I'll be able to breathe some life into it. I'm just glad that car forums are still a thing in this day and age, haha. Nothing too wild on my car, it's a street car above all else (full interior, a/c, etc.). SBF equipped with forged internals and TrickFlow top end and running a close-ratio Tremec TKX. It's a sentimental car, so I have no plans to do anything invasive to it that will ruin the spirit of the car as it was originally built.

_P1_5340.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
NoVA
Hi y’all. I just joined the forum a couple of days ago. My Mustang Sallie is a 2008 Grabber Orange GT that I bought back last week. Yes I really did buy her back. I owned her for 11 years did a couple of seasons in Autocross, some parade laps, and an HPDE. She won some trophies at a few cars shows and was invited to participate in the DC Auto Show. Most of that was a decade ago.

Since then the kids grew and we moved. Some how we thought selling Sallie was a good idea and we did. A couple years later and I really regretted selling her so I started looking for another mustang. Last week I found her based on the pictures and then checked the VIN. I am so happy I got the opportunity to buy her back.

She has been modded since I sold her. This spring I plan to get seat time and figure out all the mods done or undone.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and great story, so many of us wish we could find one of our previous cars and acquire them once again. I know where one of my favorite cars I ever owned is, the guy is a good friend, but to get the car back would probably cost me 50K more than I paid for it, so I am afraid it will stay in his hands, ha. I do have a vehicle many think is just as nice, but to me it just doesn't have the panache of the one I let go! Therefore , congrats , you are on your second round with the your mistress Sallie,ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors