The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
100% you want to go squared. Long term costs go down as you can rotate the tires, which will give you more life. Apex is the way to go for that as they will get you a much better fit and with a spacer up front ( depending on size ) you can go quite wide. There have been some folks with 18x11 and 19x11 wheels for sale, and there was a gentleman with 18x10s some time back. Keep in mind Apex usually has a " Winter Sale, " so you may be able to plan your Christmas present, ha!

Oh I didn't know, christmas is right around the corner 😄! I think the looks of 18x11 might throw me off as this is almost kind of my daily driver too. But can I really fit 19x11 in the front? I was pretty much set on squared 285/35 tires on 19x10 wheels.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You can with spacers but I would suggest 18x11s or 18x10s for your car as that gives you way more tire choices. With 11 inch wide you will need ARP or similar extended studs and you can get those from OP Mustang or Capaldi Racing - site Sponsors. Bit more to spend , but long term the 11s are the ticket and another simple way to get more speed with the larger contact patch.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
You can with spacers but I would suggest 18x11s or 18x10s for your car as that gives you way more tire choices. With 11 inch wide you will need ARP or similar extended studs and you can get those from OP Mustang or Capaldi Racing - site Sponsors. Bit more to spend , but long term the 11s are the ticket and another simple way to get more speed with the larger contact patch.
Ditto.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you've got more than, say 60k miles on the car, you can look at the Ford Performance front hubs that have extended-length ARP studs already installed. Front hubs become a maintenance item when you're running sticky tires and high lateral g's, especially if you're running over the curbs on track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC

Thank you so much for all this valuable advice! I am so glad I found and signed up to this website. Have a lot to learn! I will try to do some research on what wheels and tires I can do for 18x11's, plus on extended studs!
If you've got more than, say 60k miles on the car, you can look at the Ford Performance front hubs that have extended-length ARP studs already installed. Front hubs become a maintenance item when you're running sticky tires and high lateral g's, especially if you're running over the curbs on track.

Sometimes I have a brain of an 8 year old and this was one of those times, unfortunately the car is brand new, bought it off the dealer lot while shopping for a used truck. Now I am kind of stuck with it with a very tight budget. If I had to start again, I would either buy a nice S197 and have better budget or get a used Mach 1 and invest the minimum I can throughout my learning curve.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome to the Club, I am 71 closing in on 72 and my wife says I have the brain of a 21 year old ------- yep, I get scolded when I look at cute college girls , haha. Seriously tracking will keep you young and often unaware that the guys/gals faster than you on the track could be your grandchildren. I am still of the mind I can teach those whippersnappers a thing or two..............entering my second childhood , retired and with more money than I had at 21,ha!

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Hi, this is John, I currently reside in upstate-ish SC before than it was Hudson Valley NY. I got my first Mustang in April of 2023, it is basically a bare stock GT with MT82 and active exhaust. Before this, I had a Challenger ScatPack Widebody, but that vehicle turned out to be a lemon and I also wanted to learn and experience more about HPDE, Autocross and basicaly tracking my vehicle, which Challenger does not even come close. I do not have any track experience and very eager to learn and absorb everything I can to make it safe for myself and everyone around me. I am in my mid 30's, first gen American, haven't had much chance to experience motorsports up to this point and then again I won't be able to pour a lot of money into this but I'll at least try to reach the highest level that I can that life allows me to.

Thanks so much for reading!
Welcome!! Sign up.

PM me if you have questions.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
Welcome to the Club, I am 71 closing in on 72 and my wife says I have the brain of a 21 year old ------- yep, I get scolded when I look at cute college girls , haha. Seriously tracking will keep you young and often unaware that the guys/gals faster than you on the track could be your grandchildren. I am still of the mind I can teach those whippersnappers a thing or two..............entering my second childhood , retired and with more money than I had at 21,ha!

You know the old chart, this;

0c408924af755344db7d191f73656c6d.jpg

I am 34 and I have been low on the first two for some time now. But lately I started to feel like I am getting low on energy too, probably more mental than anything. But I do admire people of any age rocking all three together, that's how you achieve yourself! I am very happy to see you are showing them what you got and not just driving a golf cart around enjoying retirement!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
Welcome!! Sign up.

PM me if you have questions.
Hey, thanks so much, this is fantastic!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

View attachment 88480

I am 34 and I have been low on the first two for some time now. But lately I started to feel like I am getting low on energy too, probably more mental than anything. But I do admire people of any age rocking all three together, that's how you achieve yourself! I am very happy to see you are showing them what you got and not just driving a golf cart around enjoying retirement!
You’re only as old as the women you feel. LoL.
I’m 65 and I can still climb through the window of a race car and kick some ass with it. The biggest difference is that now I’m smart enough to take care of my equipment. I wrecked a lot of stuff back in the early days. Now I can take care of business and never put a scratch on the car.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I can still crawl in the window, but ...............I am not sure I can get out, ha! Actually no problem doing both, but a car accident of 50 years ago has caught up with me and my back is beyond shot. I can not even hold a tire up to change it anymore, so just Time Trials for now , or need to find someone with an Endurance Team who wants and old man who can click off the same lap time after time at a pretty damn decent pace.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
I can still crawl in the window, but ...............I am not sure I can get out, ha! Actually no problem doing both, but a car accident of 50 years ago has caught up with me and my back is beyond shot. I can not even hold a tire up to change it anymore, so just Time Trials for now , or need to find someone with an Endurance Team who wants and old man who can click off the same lap time after time at a pretty damn decent pace.

No need to get out anyways, behind that wheel is good enough! 😄 Do you still have that Mach 1 on your signature by the way? It looks great! Do you think it would be a better idea for someone to start with something like that instead of a base model as I am trying to do?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Mach 1 is down at Porsche of Omaha where my son Ryan is a Salesman ( and also a track rat ) as I traded it in for one of those flattened VWs with a 4 liter pancake motor. Yep, I know I shall be brutalized with comments, and TMS is afraid I will begin to speak more in German on this site. Heh, I have had over 20 Fords in my lifetime, learned to drive in a 60 Ford Hairline 3 speed on the column and will likely have another Blue Oval Beast one of these days in the future, so I will still hang around here as I have around ............................................2 ...........................friends on this site. My son knows all about the car, it still has plenty of fun mods that would make it super easy to get on track or an autocross with little effort and I will state to anyone that would listen, the Mach 1 is one of the very best Mustangs ever built if not the best. That machine stops , turns and handles as well as a GT 350, and with all the parts borrowed from that Shelby and the GT 500, it is a parts bin dream. We all know the motor, and the 5.0 is about as dependable a rotating propellant as anything on the planet. I will miss the car, and probably the biggest surprise for me was that regardless of how long I was on track it always ran cool --- engine, oil diff, never a code!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SC
The Mach 1 is down at Porsche of Omaha where my son Ryan is a Salesman ( and also a track rat ) as I traded it in for one of those flattened VWs with a 4 liter pancake motor. Yep, I know I shall be brutalized with comments, and TMS is afraid I will begin to speak more in German on this site. Heh, I have had over 20 Fords in my lifetime, learned to drive in a 60 Ford Hairline 3 speed on the column and will likely have another Blue Oval Beast one of these days in the future, so I will still hang around here as I have around ............................................2 ...........................friends on this site. My son knows all about the car, it still has plenty of fun mods that would make it super easy to get on track or an autocross with little effort and I will state to anyone that would listen, the Mach 1 is one of the very best Mustangs ever built if not the best. That machine stops , turns and handles as well as a GT 350, and with all the parts borrowed from that Shelby and the GT 500, it is a parts bin dream. We all know the motor, and the 5.0 is about as dependable a rotating propellant as anything on the planet. I will miss the car, and probably the biggest surprise for me was that regardless of how long I was on track it always ran cool --- engine, oil diff, never a code!

Uh oh, I think I opened the wrong can haha! Well can I be your 3rd friend on this website? 😄😄

I have done a lot of reading, talked to Mach1 owners and watched countless videos on Mach1's. I absolutely love those vehicles. I was sceptical when they came out but absolutely amazing machines for what they are!

Hey maybe I can talk to your son and see if that vehicle is anywhere close to my reach? I took out a brand new one for a ride 2 weeks ago but it was the premium package and the dealer's offer was waay too low for my brand new GT, so that car was far out of my reach. Since then, they called me 4 times but I don't work like that..

Anyways, if it is for sale, I would love to at least see if I have a shot 😄

Flattened Volkswagen's are fun! How flattened is it? Maybe turbo?

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Vancouver, Washington

View attachment 88480

Reminds me...

In my 30's and early 40's, Felt better than my 20's. But I have always been been short of all 3 aspects. Even with some of the sh.. I have pulled off? I am so Lazy.

At 48, I ain't jumping in or out of any window atelier 2 hip replacement.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang John and Casper as poorly as you to be feeling, I feel like I jest found two more youngsters I can whip up on at the ray sing track. I am thinking I has bunch more energeee than yous two!

For sensory reality, read the above line using the accent of an ole man from the cornfields of Kneebraskee

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
NOLA
Hey guys.
Getting back into this. Im am quiet. I picked up a stock 08 Bullitt before checking rules. My bad. Im in the build process. You all provide great info. Raced in SCCA. National lisc. I campaigned and owned different cars. RX7's, GT2 , Miata's, A Sedan Camaro.
I instructed for couple years at No Problem and decided to do other hobbies. My start was at Sears Point with Rick Weldon( Sonoma in 1992). Sorry about the pixal size. Ill try to adjust and repost.

RX7 no problem.jpg

RAce2.JPG

Race6.jpg

Race1.JPG

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Hello!

I'm new to racing and have just done a few autocross events.

Bought my 2013 Boss 302 when my wife told me she was pregnant with our first and now going to get into track days now that she told me that she's pregnant with our second. This seemed like a great place to chat and find the correct information to be safe while working on getting more consistent.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and plenty of solid info here for autocrossing and track time. Tires are the main focus in going quick between the cones and there are some solid Pylon Pulverizers on here that will be happy to give you help and advice.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Texas
Welcome and plenty of solid info here for autocrossing and track time. Tires are the main focus in going quick between the cones and there are some solid Pylon Pulverizers on here that will be happy to give you help and advice.
Awesome ty! I'm currently looking to see what brake fluid and pads to use. I've seen mentioned to use Castrol SRF or Ford Motorcraft PM-21 DOT 5.1 and still looking on the pads. Then yep, tires and cooling after that for sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors