The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Minor Gripes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Boss is the best driving mustang ever built. The only gripes that come to mind are the placement of the drink holders and 12 volt power supply. When I plug my Valentine Radar Detector in, the cord double drapes down near the shifter. It would also be difficult to power shift with out knocking at least one beer out of the cup holders. That's why I never drink and drive.

Sesshomurai

seca954 said:
The Boss is the best driving mustang ever built. The only gripes that come to mind are the placement of the drink holders and 12 volt power supply. When I plug my Valentine Radar Detector in, the cord double drapes down near the shifter. It would also be difficult to power shift with out knocking at least one beer out of the cup holders. That's why I never drink and drive.

That's so wrong! But very funny too...

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
seca954 said:

There is a power port between the 2 center A/C vents on the dashboard.

I have to agree on the placement of the cup holders !!!! (not a big beer drinker thats only for when i sit on the patio while i slobber myself as i look at my boss in the yard!!!!!) but Dr.Pepper and Iced tea bottles do impair the shift prosses! thats my gripe. but hey would not trade it for the world love the car as is !

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
sat radio would have been nice. I will take that over the stupid cd player.....do they still make those? A USB port would have been really nice....again ditch the CD player its going the way of the cassette and vhs.

Atleast it has cup holders is how I look at it.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I traded my 2012 GT500 SVT Shelby for my Boss.Makes me feel more like a kid again. The shifter is the only drawback.I installed the MGW,however for 'normal' shifting, the stock one is fine,but not for high rev speed shifts. Never liked leather seats,love the cloth seats better. Nav was a nice unit in the Shelby,but really never used it.Better radio,but the Boss exhaust is music to my ears.Floor mats are crap in both cars,but lloyds are much better.Bare bones? Maybe. Compare it to a sixties car of any make,and you have a luxuary(sp). car.I think maybe you should have bought a GT500.

Justin said:
sat radio would have been nice. I will take that over the stupid cd player.....do they still make those? A USB port would have been really nice....again ditch the CD player its going the way of the cassette and vhs.

Atleast it has cup holders is how I look at it.
My '13 boss came with a USB port. Do they '12s not come with them?

No, they have an aux which is basically the small size microphone jack. So you can hook up an ipod with it, but there are no controls. It is just audio play through.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
The only real gripe I have with the car right now is that I don't drive it daily.

The one thing that keeps sticking out in my mind is the complaints about the shifter. I had a 2001 S2000 which arguably has "the" best gearbox ever made...and in my Boss the shifter is pretty darn close. Granted, there are a couple of grinds from time to time...which have been my fault...but overall it's not as bad as some people portray. Maybe I got the magic shifter? ;D

Other than that I knew what I was getting into with this car. The cost of building a motor with forged internals, headwork, AND having a warranty would be impossible in the aftermarket. Coming from an Evo IX which had even less than my '13 Boss was like stepping into a loaded Mercedes (relatively speaking of course).

I guess the only thing I could really complain about is the way Sync butchers the names of the people in my phone.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
ding... "Sync USB" "Sync, play artist Sick Puppies" (silence) (pause) (2 more seconds) 1st song from Staind starts playing. Heh. The Sync and HIDs are very nice add ons, esp. since I like the styling of the '13 a little better than the '12. I can live with all the other minor gripes, the basic car as is simply rocks. I may be biased in that I think I got 'one of the good ones' as it hasn't burned a drop of oil in just under 4k miles. I was really worried about that reading various threads on different forums. My Roadrunner seems to pull so hard it caused 2 very experienced drivers to miss the shift from 2nd to 3rd at redline on the stock shifter. Have the MGW in now, and have yet to get either driver back behind the wheel to see if either one experiences the same behavior.

But I digress... as is, the car simply rocks. It's OK to pick some nits when all the critical components are great, with the exception of the shifter...

Loved seeing the comments about gripes! thanks for the blunt responses~

However, if you read my post closely you would also notice it said "Minor Gripes" not deal killers.

Ok as to why I personally bought the car. I bought the Boss because I wanted a car I could drive on the street and the track, its handling is superb, and performance is great no arguments.
I also have access to drive some amazing vehicles when I want to via a good friend and say and what you will, the Boss outperforms those that are close to 5 times what we paid, so I am happy overall with its performance and build.
The one Option that I Wanted was Leather seats, I did not expect them at the base trim level, I do drive the car on a near daily basis when weather permits and being close to 6'3 and 235 they just feel better on my fat butt and back. I also happen to like leather, so does the wife, nuff said :)
As to why I didn't buy a Shelby, If I wanted to pull some real "G"s I'll go hop in the plane been there done that and sorry aerobatic flying beats the daylights out driving any day but avgas and JP4 is far more expensive as are the toys to do it in.
My real enjoyment is driving the canyons and wide open roads out west, why confine yourself to just a track :)
Spare tire is needed as there is nothin once you get 100 miles from home. Ford Road Service, yeah right!
which is also why the sat radio comes in handy.
BTW I live 25 miles from MMSP so tracking the car is not a problem when wanted.
Yes, I could have Bought the Shelby, friend has 2012, wouldn't trade straight across for it, I bought for many of the same reasons as all of you, and add in the nostalagia of wanting one as a kid and not being able to afford one back when.

I appreciate being part of a small group of people who love this car so much they look past the little things, My point was just seeing what others had to say, didn't trade the wife in either btw!~

Have fun, be safe and thank you for the great info on the boards!

2013 Race Red #404 :)

CaliMR said:
No, they have an aux which is basically the small size microphone jack. So you can hook up an ipod with it, but there are no controls. It is just audio play through.
That's my gripe (no USB & BT) on the '12 Boss... although I am looking into adding iSimple's Gateway+BT to add these features to the stock radio. I wonder if any Mustang owner have done this to the base stereo in their '10-'12 unit?

dscowan said:
Have fun, be safe and thank you for the great info on the boards!

2013 Race Red #404 :)
You bet. I'm glad we didn't scare you off. :D

You can get a poke patch kit for like $15 at the auto parts store, I rather use that than the slime in the oem kit. If it is a big tear, then still sol but I have used the poke patch kit many times on other cars and have never had one leak. Any patch is a no-no on the track.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
You can get a poke patch kit for like $15 at the auto parts store, I rather use that than the slime in the oem kit. If it is a big tear, then still sol but I have used the poke patch kit many times on other cars and have never had one leak. Any patch is a no-no on the track.
I carry a plug kit in my car (perhaps the same thing you are talking about).

In the past I have used slime and fix a flat and the tire shop would charge me 20+ dollars to change the tire because they had to scrap it off the wheel cause the wheel wouldnt balance right after using it.

dscowan said:
Ok, Had the Boss for the Summer and a few gripes about the car in general, anyone else have a wish list of what Ford should have done: I got mad at GM for the poor quality of my new 2008 vette and dumped it a year later. Love the Boss but getting cranky about little things in my old age.

1. No Leather Seat option, Really Ford why not?

Because Racecar.

2. No Satellite Radio Receiver, really pissed me off since the rental cars have it

Because racecar. If it's a problem, install one, I did.

3. Piss poor shifter, OK follow the MGW thread and will fix, but really, why not do it right the first time?

Agreed. I bought and installed the MGW.

4. No spare option, not interested in going cross country with a can of fix a flat.

Agreed.

5. No rear floor mats and really lame fronts.

Nobody can sit in the back anyway, outside of somebody in a car seat. Agreed on the front. I spent 100 bucks on some good ones, which was way cheaper than the 500 dollar optional mat/cover option.

6. Home link option, again why not? don't we park these things in the garage too?

I use a clicker for my garage door. That doesn't seem to be much of an issue with me.

7. Ford Synch, how about pulling this POS out and giving us a satellte receiver?

Again, racecar. Ford clearly stated in making this car that they didn't offer these things because it is their trackcar. I seem to remember that being alluded to in the video shipped in the Boss owners package. But they did throw it in the 2013.

OK I know everyone raves about the boss, but for the money spent, just a felt like we got taken advantage of a bit when the base stangs come with these things...... Anyone else finally over the honeymoon phase?

No, and doubt that I ever am, because this is what I want in a car. An updated version of my '70.

Actually, my only real gripe about the car that I can't fix are the gauges. I installed the LS package, which are great, but I can't read the speedo very quicking while driving.

Mph increments are hard to make out, IMHO, and I have to look for awhile to make sure i'm doing 75 and not 85 going down the highway. I know for the folks that just track, this isn't a big deal, but my car is my DD.

TMO Supporting Vendors