mm R and T springs vs, ford T springs vs, Stock

Discussion in 'Suspension and Chassis' started by Adam1979, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Adam1979

Adam1979 TMO Beginner

Hi all

I've been lurking around here since last fall when I purchased my 2013 LS. However I haven't
    posted yet. i'm getting car prepped for HPDE's this coming season. Also trying not to just throw
    parts and $ at it right off the bat without track time, and a reason. Going to run 18X10 wheels
    square with 295/30/18 Hoosier R7's. Looks like I'll need to run camber plates, and while i'm there
    would be a good time to do springs. But, I'd rather not go all out (just yet anyway) and start replacing everything. Or do to many double purchases. Any thoughts or ideas on Running with stock
    LS springs, Throwing in a set of T springs, or running the MM R&T springs (saw a nib set on facebook otherday). Also car is stock, and I'm not new to track. I've got around a dozen or so
    track days/Hpde's .

Thanks in advance for reading and any suggestions you all have.
    Adam.

2. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

If you are over 100MPH at HPDE consider safety mods before you go much further. Bar and harnesses, a good helmet and HANS.
    Although camber plates will save front rubber and add grip. Drive it and then make adjustments.

VoodooBoss and Adam1979 like this.
  3. Adam1979

Adam1979 TMO Beginner

Thanks on camber plate advice. Already installed Harness Bar and Harness's, Will have Hans Before First event. and helmet is snell 2015.

4. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Cool. Too many folks throw money at parts and forget the driver. There are many opinions concerning a harness bar. I started there and later went with the Watson 4 point.
    Who’s camber plates? If you want the best go with Vorshlag. MM are a bit cheaper. I have the MM on my Boss.

5. Adam1979

Adam1979 TMO Beginner

It's between Vorshlag and MM on plates. Yes I agree on the money aspect vs driver. Noticed your in Illinois. I'm in Eastern Iowa, just outside Davenport.

6. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Do you run at Blackhawk?

Adam1979 likes this.
  7. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I have a set of drifts 10x18” I am selling if you need wheels. No as light as Apex wheels but cost less.

Adam1979 likes this.
  8. Adam1979

Adam1979 TMO Beginner

With my last car I ran Blackhawk, Autobahn CC, RPM, and Road America. Didn't run Blackhawk in 2018 though.

9. Adam1979

Adam1979 TMO Beginner

Thanks. I actually am in on a group buy with Apex.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  10. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Me too. Apex has a great deal going no now.

I have run RA and Blackhawk. Autobahn, not yet.

We live south of Rockford. I am working in the south but will have a 350r later this summer. I’ll keep that at home so we may see each other at Blackhawk later this year.

Adam1979 likes this.
  11. 2012-Boss

2012-Boss TMO Addict

If you are sticking with the stock LS struts and shocks, I would not run the MM Road and Track springs. I think the spring rates are probably too high to work well with the OEM dampers.

I would use the Steeda Boss springs or the Ford M-5300-P springs. You will need to look at old posts for the P springs and the required 2011 - 2014 Shelby GT500 M-18183-C upper strut mounts.

I think the T springs lower the front end a little to much without geometry correction on the front lower control arm. You also loose a lot or rear end suspension travel without a lot of increase in rear spring rate to help keep you off the bump stops.

The more you lower the rear, the more you are going to need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rear end. I like the Maximum Motorsport panhard, but it has bearings on both ends and may transmit a little too much noise into the cabin for a street car.

Finally, the more you lower the rear end, the more you might consider rear lower control arm relocation brackets. I prefer Ford Performance M-5650-A or the Maximum Motorsport versions.

Adam1979 likes this.
  12. Adam1979

Adam1979 TMO Beginner

Thanks, I was wondering about the heavy rates on stock shocks/struts. Wasn't aware of required upper strut mounts, I'll check for old posts. As far as panhard bar, This car will probably get as many on track miles as street miles , so not to concerned with cabin noise.

Thanks for the info.