The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mobil 1 on sale March 1 at NAPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Which begs the question...

I changed my fluids last year and only put on about 1000 miles last summer between two track days and street driving. I have about 20 quarts of motorcraft that I bought early last year that I got on sale and despite the low miles on the car since my last change, I'll probably change it out again soon. Just how long is will my back up oil last in the garage? I've read anywhere from one year to five but haven't found anything definitive.

That's an excellent question. I understand once the oil is working in your engine there are time/mileage limits....but what happens to it if it is just sitting in the bottle in your garage for awhile? I hoping the answer will be....nothing.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have noticed that *old* oil often has stuff that settles at the bottom. No idea what it is and wether you're better off with or without it in your engine. Anyone else notice the same?

For better or worse, I try to keep less than about a year's worth in stock in my garage.

barspen said:
5w-50 I hope...need to stock up 8)
That's the main reason to go! I'd get other grades from Costco or elsewhere on sale.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I believe that stuff that settles are the additives to the oil. Not sure though if just shaking/mixing it up make to whole again.

TMO Supporting Vendors