The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Motul 660 ok for street too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I participated in an HPDE Intro event at VIR back in May. Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reading a lot from this forum led me to think about brake fluid upgrade for the next HPDE event and I landed on Motul 660. My thinking was if Motul 600 was good, Motul 660 would be even better (higher boiling points). While expensive, I felt like the price was justified by piece of mind. Now I'm second guessing the decision as I drive the car on weekends (far from a daily driver) and will only be attending 2 or so HPDE events per year. Bottom line...is Motul 660 ok for street driving? What's the down side (if any)?

Jeff

It should be fine as would any DOT 4 brake fluid on the street. Many high performance cars come from the factory with DOT 4 standard. You’re probably fine with Motul 600 as well.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I must sound like a Castrol SRF sales rep!!..... Its expensive but I love it because its one less thing to worry about... Even racing the car every other weekend it lasts for a year or more. And if that favorite canyon road is empty with no one in sight, you don't have to worry about when was the last time you flushed!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Since the Castrol SRF only comes in a large container, how do you store a partially used container for bleeding the brakes between track events. Or do you just spend the extra money and buy a fresh bottle each time?

US
Since the Castrol SRF only comes in a large container, how do you store a partially used container for bleeding the brakes between track events. Or do you just spend the extra money and buy a fresh bottle each time?
I just put the cap back on tight and thats it. How much moisture does it absorb on the shelf? Cant imagine much. I usually do a quick caliper bleed each track weekend and full flush with new bottle just before the 1st event of the year. Ive never noticed any reduction in SRFs performance using it like that. Prior to the 302S abs module install I was able to boil the srf fluid. Not anymore so i expect much longer life out of the brake fluid now. I used to use 660 motul. Good stuff too.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
The SRF Wet boiling point is above most Dry boiling points for the other brake fluids, so no worries if you open a 1L bottle and leave the lid tight after using... End up changing brake discs much sooner then changing brake liquid.

Thanks. Makes sense. And gripdriver's suggestion of a zip lock bag is good. May add a desicant pack in there too.

Thanks. Makes sense. And gripdriver's suggestion of a zip lock bag is good. May add a desicant pack in there too.

My SRF came in ziplock bags from castrol, made sense to me, so I ran with it. I purchased 2 liters (2 bottles) to flush my entire system including the ABS, and I had to mess with the front calipers a few times...I have 1/2 a bottle left (1/2 liter)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel